Ok to start off, i know basically HOW to solo, and so forth, and ive always assumed you used a chord progression, but im not entirely sure what to do when there are NO VISIBLE CHORDS!!!! I don't get it....some of my favorite bands solo over single note breakdowns, but im not entirely sure wtf they're doing. Are they just basically soloing using the key of the song??? Please help

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

cuz there playing the the single note lines over a scale or chord progression.
Quote by monkeysintheday
I have trained a live tarantula to calm and sit on my guitar due to the awesome powers of my rocking. When I am not playing it angrily bounces about my room hitting everything that isn't me.

Quote by stef123

rageagainst64 you are a legend!
care to explain please

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

You can imply chords by your note choices and movement

This is in fact an excellent way to practice.
so............your saying that your technically forming chords based on the notes your using in the song????? sorry, im just not getting it.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Well if your adding a solo ontop of a single note vamp, you have endless possibilities. There will not really be notes that sound absolutely horrid ontop of it. It all depends on the sounds you are wanting.
Ok....so im basically going to improvise with a scale or a few that fit with the key of the song????

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
so............your saying that your technically forming chords based on the notes your using in the song????? sorry, im just not getting it.

It really all works the same. A song can have a chord progression, but that doesn't
mean there have to be chords. There doesn't even have to be a bass line. As
long as everyone playing (assuming a band) is in step and tracking the progression
in thier heads together, they can all be playing the same progression without even
playing anything.
that doesn't make sense though, how the hell do you have a "chord" progression without said "chords"???!!!

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Outlining the chords. You don't have to play a big old G chord to have a G chord tonality. If you've got one guy playing a G, another playing a B, and another playing a D, you've got a G chord with no one playing a G chord.

What they're talking about in terms of implying chords is to essentially pretend you do have chords. For instance, if you're playing over a droning E power chord, you could arpeggiate an Em chord, a C(maj7), an Am, and an F#m7b5(I'm using these because they've all got an E). No one is actually playing the chords in the traditional sense, but if you crank out all the tones of each, it'll work. It may not sound great, and to be honest, soloing over static harmony is pretty tricky. Work on it and you'll gradually get the hang of it.
Quote by valennic
that doesn't make sense though, how the hell do you have a "chord" progression without said "chords"???!!!

By "implying" the chords. If the bass plays the root note and the melody heavily emphasizes the third and fifth, the feel of the chord will be very apparent without actually playing the chord.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
What I'm talking about is playing a single note line that clearly sounds like the chords changing without actually having anyone play the chords.

It's not easy, but it is a great goal.

As some philosopher once said: Freedom is not for the timid. The less you are boxed in by, the more difficult it is.
Quote by valennic
Ok to start off, i know basically HOW to solo, and so forth, and ive always assumed you used a chord progression, but im not entirely sure what to do when there are NO VISIBLE CHORDS!!!! I don't get it....some of my favorite bands solo over single note breakdowns, but im not entirely sure wtf they're doing. Are they just basically soloing using the key of the song??? Please help
If its a riff, they're using the chord the riff is based around. If its just a single note vamped, they'll play whatever they played last time a chord with that root was played. Could be a minor mode, could be a major mode, whatever.
Quote by ouchies
Soloing over a single note is everything you can ever wish for.. you can do anything, pretty much.
No... The chords underneath melodies are there not to be obstacles but to enhance the melodies/solos. The harmonic sound chords give are unique, 1 note basslines just dont suffice. And I can play whatever I want over any chord, whether I think it will sound good is another question though.