I'm gonna be getting a Marshall DSL50, and i was wondering, will a 2x12 130 watt cab be good for gigging.
Or should i get the Marshall 1960A (only one) cab?

I would rather get the 1960A, but i'm really stressing on money after i buy the head, so i was wanting to see if i could maybe take it a step down.
So would it be good for the price difference?
Remember, i'm gonna be gigging soon!
O O

___
the 2x12 would absolutely be fine. Though, down the road, should you start booking larger venues, you'll wish you had a 4x12. But a $500 difference??? I'd go with the 2x12, and you might find a good local deal on a used larger cab in a few years or something.
No point in a 4x12, if you turn up with big gear, people will expect big playing.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
I use a 2x12 (I got a 50w marshall aswell) and I never turn it past 2 on master volume in my house, and NEVER past 5 when I'm outside, at band practice, or at a gig but I don't gig very often.

You can crank the 2x12 way more anyway, so go for it.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Last edited by LightningRider at Apr 8, 2008,
Quote by LightningRider
I use a 2x12 (I got a 50w marshall aswell) and I never turn it past 2 on master volume in my house, and NEVER past 5 when I'm outside, at band practice, or at a gig but I don't gig very often.

my friend has a JCM800(120watt?) with a 4x12 cab......................it hurts....a lot.......
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
^It's probably a 100w, and I feel very sorry for him and his ears. He probably can't even hit 1 on Master Vol.

To back up my point furthur on getting the 2x12, my JCM is a boutique version that switches between 50w and 25w. I don't think Ive ever even switched it to 50w, not even at a gig. The 2x12 will be plenty loud with a 50w tube head.

Quote by SixString1989
the 2x12 would absolutely be fine. Though, down the road, should you start booking larger venues, you'll wish you had a 4x12. But a $500 difference??? I'd go with the 2x12, and you might find a good local deal on a used larger cab in a few years or something.

That's totally wrong btw. Nobody needs a halfstack.
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Last edited by LightningRider at Apr 8, 2008,
bam. Look into the Traditional series. They have awesome deals on 2x12 cabs with V30s, and there's no way you would need more than that.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
If you play a gig larger than say 5 or 8 thousand, you will need a halfstack. Becuase on top of the crowd soaking up more sound, each instrument will need cranked a little higher, and the singer *should* set down the lows and up the highs a pinch. Also, the drums will be better mic'ed. It may also have a few overheads, which can easily drown out a guitar unless set up correctly.

Please dont argue with me on this. I have a masters in acoustical engineering, i know what im talking about.
Quote by SixString1989
If you play a gig larger than say 5 or 8 thousand, you will need a halfstack. Becuase on top of the crowd soaking up more sound, each instrument will need cranked a little higher, and the singer *should* set down the lows and up the highs a pinch. Also, the drums will be better mic'ed. It may also have a few overheads, which can easily drown out a guitar unless set up correctly.

Please dont argue with me on this. I have a masters in acoustical engineering, i know what im talking about.

I'm going to argue it because you may think you know what you are talking about but you really, REALLY don't. It's obvious that you've never gigged or been to a real concert, otherwise you'd know that any gig that size has a PA system and half the time at concerts the bands send their power amp straight to the house PA and don't even use cabs..

For the last time, coming from someone who has gigged, a 2x12 is more than enough.
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
awe...thanx alot. Like SixString1989 was saying, it's a 500 dollar difference!
That's gonna help ALOT!
I was planning on getting the head once i get the money, and then the cab at close to christmas... :p
Now i might be able to get it all at once! Yay!
O O

___
Quote by LightningRider
I'm going to argue it because you may think you know what you are talking about but you really, REALLY don't. It's obvious that you've never gigged or been to a real concert, otherwise you'd know that any gig that size has a PA system and half the time at concerts the bands send their power amp straight to the house PA and don't even use cabs..

For the last time, coming from someone who has gigged, a 2x12 is more than enough.

Our band has opened for more big name bands than you care to think of. I've opened for the following:

Quiet Riot
Slaughter
Skid Row
Godsmack
Drowning Pool
Disturbed
10 years
ill nino
Cinderella
Megadeth
Goo Goo Dolls

to name like half of them, and not including the very large amount of smaller, locally known bands.

** To the bolded statement: No ****. You think even a fullstack could power through a venue as large as something metallica or queen could book?
^Ha, you're more of an idiot than I thought. No band opens for big venues for 20 years. And sadly, your not an acostics expert either you dumbass otherwise you would have known that.
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
do not get a marshall 2x12. complete garbage im in my opinion they dont sound like the old ones at all.

EDIT: sorry, i am referring to the 1936, if it makes any difference
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Last edited by dcdossett65 at Apr 8, 2008,
Quote by LightningRider
^Ha, you're more of an idiot than I thought. No band opens for big venues for 20 years. And sadly, your not an acostics expert either you dumbass otherwise you would have known that.

what do you mean bands dont open? rob zombie opened for ozzy at the concert i went to a few months ago..and dokken(solo acoustic) opened for queensryche in march..
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
If you read it correctly, I said that no band opens for let's say skid row in the 80's and is still opening for a band like disturbed today. In 20 years you would have become famous, and besides that hes not even 20 years old. Look at his ****in name for god's sake.
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by LightningRider
If you read it correctly, I said that no band opens for let's say skid row in the 80's and is still opening for a band like disturbed today. In 20 years you would have become famous, and besides that hes not even 20 years old. Look at his ****in name for god's sake.

ah, i misunderstood. my bad.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412