What's the difference between the two? Also, is a tune o matic more difficult to tune than a regular fixed bridge?

Thanks
Quote by RATM forever
definitely the best spam thread today!
tune o matic has an extra bit before the strings go thru the body?
Quote by Finnepinne
It was probably a black man who talked. "oh don' go in there gurl, he behind the doh~"

And then got shot.
A tune-o-matic is a 'normal' fixed bridge. Unless you're calling it abnormal. And, they're easy to tune (as easy as any other bridge) and hold tune well.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by SteveBeginner
tune o matic has an extra bit before the strings go thru the body?

tune o matics never go through the body. i dont like them, because of all the intonation issues i have with mine(i might have gotten a bad apple)
Quote by ironman1478
tune o matics never go through the body. i dont like them, because of all the intonation issues i have with mine(i might have gotten a bad apple)
You can get tunomatic bridges that have the string go through the body, they just don't have a tail piece. When I worked in the guitar shop, the tunomatic bridge and tail piece came in separate packages.
Im guessing hes referring to the other kind of fixed bridge the ones fender uses. I like the tuneomatic as it sits up higher but its just preference neither is really any better than the other. To put a TOM on a fender it needs to be recessed then cant really use the stop piece so easily. The TOM just works better on a carved top guitar.
Quote by DustyBannister
You can get tunomatic bridges that have the string go through the body, they just don't have a tail piece. When I worked in the guitar shop, the tunomatic bridge and tail piece came in separate packages.

i've never seen one like that!?
Quote by ironman1478

I have a ToM bridge thats a string through.....
Quote by Tackleberry
Im guessing hes referring to the other kind of fixed bridge the ones fender uses. I like the tuneomatic as it sits up higher but its just preference neither is really any better than the other. To put a TOM on a fender it needs to be recessed then cant really use the stop piece so easily. The TOM just works better on a carved top guitar.

Like a carvin CT6M
Quote by J rock

my baby

NICE! I'm not a huge viper fan, but thats pretty rad!
Main Gear:
guitars;
Gibson LPJ
Squire CLASSIC VIBE Stratocaster 60's
PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone Sheraton II

amps;
Bugera 1990, 6260
Egnater Tweaker
Tuneomatic bridges typically don't string through the body, if that matters to you. They're also debatably less adjustable. Their increased height also tends to require the slight tilt-back of the neck you see on LP's and SG's, unless the tuneomatic is placed in a routed pocket (Like on a Godin LG).
Quote by ironman1478
i've never seen one like that!?

Well as you've seen there is one posted. There are a lot of guitars made like that, probably the ones aimed towards those who want to play meta/hard rock have the string through body instead of the tail piece. So I guess it would depend what brands you look at most, ESP and Dean have a lot, but when it comes to Gibson for instance, I haven't seen one that isn't a tail piece.
The tune-o-matics are (to me) more comfortable for palm muting.
Apart from that I'm not really phased between the two types of bridges.