Well, I've got a project assigned today due in a couple weeks, and it's about finding examples of gas laws in everyday life. I have no idea where to begin looking. I know that everyone is just going to end up using dry ice for everything, but I don't want to do the most obvious things.

So, specifically, I need to find examples of Charles' Law, Boyle's Law, the combined gas law, the ideal gas law, and Avagadro's Law. I understand all of these and can use them all in the work, I just can't think of anything to exemplify these laws in real life.

This being the Pit, I figured at least one or two people could help me out with this.

Thanks, and I'm going to go looking on Wikipedia now...
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Bush's law. Gas will rise in price indefinitely.

EDIT - Don't ask the Pit, any examples they tell you will be about farting.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
You witness them everywhere. Soda cans, hot-air balloons...

Quote by SkyValley

LOLOLOL!
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Venom5.0
he who smelt it delt it

I have Physics tomorrow, I'm telling all my friends that!
not sure what law it is but the one relating temperature and pressure... think of a propane tank, if heated it will cause higher pressure and eventually explode (that is if they didn't have that wonderful safety valve)
My gear:
PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow
Ibanez AEL 50 SERLV
Peavey XXL Half Stack
Well, I can just make a video, so I'm sure I can blow something up, provided I find somewhere to do it.

EDIT: Again, I understand the concepts completely to what we have discussed in class, I just want better examples than just the lame and unoriginal stuff.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by SkyValley

Win!
"We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka
I forget which law it applies to but as a balloon floats higher the volume in it increases as the air outside gets less dense til it pops
By reading this magnificently and wonderful, adjective-filled signature, you have just wasted approximately 7 seconds of your life.
Did this stuff a few months ago. I did Charles' law.What we did was take a syringe, i honestly forget how big (although the pharmacist gave me an odd look when i asked for it). Take the plunger out and seal the other end. Put a marshmellow in it and put the plunger back in. When you push the plunger in, the marshmallow will be crushed by air pressure.

There's another one too. Take the plunger out of another syringe and put a marshmallow in it, then put the plunger back in. Seal the end and when you pull up on the syringe the marshmallow will grow. It's kinda cool.
Quote by DarkEra97
Did this stuff a few months ago. I did Charles' law.What we did was take a syringe, i honestly forget how big (although the pharmacist gave me an odd look when i asked for it). Take the plunger out and seal the other end. Put a marshmellow in it and put the plunger back in. When you push the plunger in, the marshmallow will be crushed by air pressure.

There's another one too. Take the plunger out of another syringe and put a marshmallow in it, then put the plunger back in. Seal the end and when you pull up on the syringe the marshmallow will grow. It's kinda cool.

If I can get my hands on a syringe, I'm doing this, thanks. I still need Boyle's (Volume increases when pressure decreases at a constant temperature), combined gas (the ratio of pressure to the volume constant is constant with temperature), ideal gas (a gas' state is determined by pressure, volume, and temperature as indicated by PV=nRT), and Avogadro's (same volume ideal gases at constant temperature and pressure have an equal number of particles/molocules).
Quote by Pauldapro
I'm trying to think of some of the other projects.. One was something like heating a tin can with a lid on it until the lid goes flying off. One was putting a ballon over a pop bottle and setting it to different heats.
Okay, this is probably not going to help me (I mean resurrecting this thread), but I now don't need to do the combined gas law, meaning examples for:

Boyle's law
Avogadro's law
ideal gas law
Quote by Pauldapro
The fizzing of carbonation is pop bottles is caused because the contents on the inside is pressurized, and then starts to equalize itself when you let the cap off.

Or maybe you could site that whole example of crushing a can by heating it up then sticking it in cold water?

Or about how foods boil at diffrent temps based on the pressure? If you lower the pressure enough, you can boil water with your hand.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"