Hello-

I recently bought an old Peavey MS412 (4x12) cab, loaded with the original Celestion G12K 85's that it came with. It sounds good to me, but I have not developed an 'ear' for telling if a speaker is good or bad. What things should I listen for/look for, to tell if the speakers need to be replaced?

thankses
I'm not familiar with those speakers, but odds are that they're better than the Blue Marvels that come in their more recent stuff. As for swapping them out, if you like the sound of 'em, stick with 'em. Generally, you'd buy a cab largely because you like the speakers in it. Rather than replace the speakers, I'd probably look to replace the whole cab when you're ready.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^thanks for the answer, but what I meant was how do you tell if they are damaged/overly worn?
Again, if it sounds good to you, it's probably ok. If it sounds farty or distorted no matter how clean you think your amp should sound, there might be an issue. In the 60's, they were tearing speakers to get that tone on purpose, so it's all a matter of taste. You can keep running speakers as long as there's sound coming out of them, and you're happy with that sound.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I guess the question I am trying to ask is, Are speakers the type of thing that wear out over repeated use, or do they pretty much last forever if you dont drive them too hard?