I really want to play cello(or violin for that matter) but would like to ask some questions.

First off, Is 13 to old to learn cello or violin? Another thing is how expensive are cellos and violins? Which would be better to get into? Pros and cons?

Cheers
1. It's never too old for music. Ever.
2. Google the cost.
3. Depends, if you want to make equivalents, cello would be like bass, much lower sound and you could play without the bow if you want (basically an accoustic bass i think). Violin is much smaller, higher sound, you have to use the bow, and you also have to hold it differently. It's really just a matter of personal preference.
I an neither a cellist nor a violinist, but I can tell you that age is no barrier to learning music.

As for which one you should start out with: I would start with the violin. You should be ready to throw down at least $500 -$750 for a collegiate-level violin. Cellos are more expensive.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I think you should play the flute instead. ;D

In all seriousness, it's never too old to learn an instrument. A play where I'd take lessons had twenty and thirty year olds learning to play the piano.

If you're worried about buying an instrument and not enjoying it or whatever, rent it first. A lot of music shops will rent it to you and you have the option of buying it later.

To know another is to know a universe of others...
Sometimes a soul must wander to truly know it is home.

Andrew McMahon
Quote by dark&broken
2. Google the cost.
Correct. You should rent one first, though IMO.
Quote by dark&broken
3. Depends, if you want to make equivalents, cello would be like bass, much lower sound and you could play without the bow if you want (basically an accoustic bass i think). Violin is much smaller, higher sound, you have to use the bow, and you also have to hold it differently. It's really just a matter of personal preference.
Not really. At least not in terms of role. Cello has a huge solo repertiore nowadays. And you can play without the bow on any string instrument - it's called pizzicato.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Apr 8, 2008,
1. ur fine
2. anywhere from 100 to 1,000,000 but to start you'd maybe want to spend 200-300 for a violin maybe a bit more for a cello cause their gernally more expensive (bigger)
3. well cello has less lead. cello is low. violin high. violin way cooler. play violin.
member of The Yes Club
member of the Ten Years After Club
member of the Allman Brothers Club
member of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

member of the Grateful Dead Fan Club
PM deadhead313313

member of the Queen Fanclub!
PM Hanzi_G
Hey i started learning cello at exactly 13 and i consider myself to be pretty good. And you can get a pretty good cello from musicians friend for reletively cheap. Thats where I got mine.
The cello is pretty easy to play. But unless you get into an anctual orchestra or something it wont do you much good, cause half your skill will come from playing in large groups. So take that into consideration.
(\__|)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain World Domination.

92% of teenagers have moved on to rap. Sig this if you think most new popular music sucks.
Play double bass, it's really easy!
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Quote by black-sabbath
Play double bass, it's really easy!

Quote by hippyguitardude
3. well cello has less lead. cello is low. violin high. violin way cooler. play violin.
Well if we're talking about what's coolest, play viola. Viola's cooler than both of them.
I agree with pretty much everything said here. My grandma started playing when she was 68, and she kicks all sorts of a** on that thing.
Quote by hippyguitardude
1. ur fine
2. anywhere from 100 to 1,000,000 but to start you'd maybe want to spend 200-300 for a violin maybe a bit more for a cello cause their gernally more expensive (bigger)

Actually, cellos have much more range than a puny violin. I honestly dont like violins. They make high pitched skeaky sounds. Cellos have such a nice warmer, rich, and full tone. If anything get a viola instead of a violin.
(\__|)

92% of teenagers have moved on to rap. Sig this if you think most new popular music sucks.
Damn the costs are discouraging

I still want to learn though. I love the cello but the violin just seems more convinient cost and mobility wise.

EDIT: Do you think the $400 cellos on musicians friend are worth it? Or start off with something better?
Quote by TheOperator

I still want to learn though. I love the cello but the violin just seems more convinient cost and mobility wise.
Viola, dude. Come to the dark side, play viola... The mobility of a violin, with a better sound!

You can rent, as suggested earlier. And you can afford to buy a cheap low-quality one to learn on. You wouldn't buy a custom shop Les Paul Custom to learn on, would you?
I've been playing cello for the last 9 years, so heres my 2 cents
1-Absolutely not, as long as you are a disciplined practicer, you could have a decent repertoire, in just a few years
2-Don't buy your first cello, any decent music school will rent one to you, but once you get good, a decent cello will almost always be over $1500 (w/ case and bow)
3-Well, Cello: Pros- Superior beauty to any other instrument, not to hard to get into, fun to play, and easy to play alternate genres with (http://youtube.com/watch?v=8JjQGt7WjK0). Cons- Heavy, big, and if you plan to play in a high school orchestra, you will almost always get a bad part
Violin-Pros-big range, Always gets the melody in an orchestra, Small and easy to carry. Cons- Beginner players have a tendency to get screechy tone, A violin with a good tone can cost several times more than a cello with good tone, Violin players in an orchestra tend to ride a "Violin High Horse" and be jerks.
Overall, I would say that Cello would be best for you
Quote by TheOperator

EDIT: Do you think the $400 cellos on musicians friend are worth it? Or start off with something better?

Well, if youre serious about learning the instrument, then yes. In fact for a cello that is pretty cheap. It may even be the same one that I have. If so, then it is a really good deal, cause its a great cello.
(\__|)

Quote by dark&broken
2. Google the cost.

Cello is tuned a third higher than a bass. It's also tuned in fifths rather than fourths (like a bass).

I love Cello, I would also like to learn it someday!
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
i heard the cello first on blood+(sad, i know), with hagi playing from bachs cello suite, and from then on I've always wanted to learn to play it. I do have a violin though. It's the first fretless instrument I've played, so it was a little tough for me to fret the right note, but after you get used to it, its really fun. I'd still go with the cello, though.
This is my signature... And yes this is the most original thing... ever.
Gear:
Guitars
Epiphone Dot
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG2EX1

Amps
Roland Cube 30X

Pedals
DOD FX25-B Envelope Filter
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Big Muff Pi
I am the concert master for my high school's orchestra, so I would say that you should play the violin.

Personally, you ARE too old to play the violin WELL. You can play it, but it wont get any better with age, as you are already past the ideal learning age (2-5 years).
I'd personally choose a cello. It's got a reasonably higher range than a bass, allowing for more melodic lines. Violins can sound too screechy to me, unless you're a virtuoso.
Peace.