Being a huge VH fan, it really suprised me when my friend sprung this on me: There is NO other band that has the same style of Van Halen! Sure, they were Hair Metal, but they had their own unique style. I haven't heard anyone like them...
Am I completly right? Or can someone prove me wrong?
Sure they were unique (and one of the best bands of all time), but they sure as hell weren't hair metal.

Try hard rock.
the were pre- hair metal, all though they kinda got washed into that in 84, just as good thoug
Staff Sergeant of The Megadeth Military
PM BlackicN to join

Archbishop of Zeppelinism
PM heartbreaker

Gear
Guitars
ESP LTD MH1000
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
81 Gibson SG
Parker PM20
Amps
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60x
Quote by DaFjory
Sure they were unique (and one of the best bands of all time), but they sure as hell weren't hair metal.

Try hard rock.

hair metal is a spinoff of van halen.

not unique, original
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
Van Halen is amazing. And yes Hard Rock not Hair Metal.
Quote by powerhead
Mentallica, i think you just made my drive shank crank

Quote by beadhangingOne

You sir, are a true hero.

Quote by silversoulcage
Dude, seriously, you're an ass hole. That place where **** comes out, yea that's you man.
Agreed, extremely original, and they do not constitute as hair metal.
While looking at a guitar magazine with some friends.

Quote by Kaleb
DUDE! Is that a Mel Gibson?!

Quote by boreamor
Don't you understand the importance of correct spelling and grammar? It's the online symbol of maturity. And you as sure as hell don't have that.
I was listening to Van Halen yesterday, and Eddie's playing is so unique, I think that really spices it up
The entire subgenre of hair metal was spun off of Van Halen and that doesn't make them hair metal!?

I love VH though... Don't really like any other Hair Metal until GN'R turned it's image back on itself and started the destruction of it...
I say RATT's guitar work can be close. Also Whitecross can kind of sound like them at some times but yeah all in all no one else sounds like them.
Quote by RadioMuse
The entire subgenre of hair metal was spun off of Van Halen and that doesn't make them hair metal!?

no, if i said hair metal ORIGINATED with VH, that would make them hair metal. what im saying is like saying metal came from rock (generalizing example, yes), basically one inspired another, but the first one does not include the other
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
Quote by nedthehead
Being a huge VH fan, it really suprised me when my friend sprung this on me: There is NO other band that has the same style of Van Halen! Sure, they were Hair Metal, but they had their own unique style. I haven't heard anyone like them...
Am I completly right? Or can someone prove me wrong?

I like the older VH of the 70's better. I could include Judas Priest in having there own sound. But they also started before hair metal.
16' Gibson SG Std.
15' Ibanez JEM Jr.
OD9 Pro+>CM-2>BC-2>Wylde Phase>Gravy>Flashback
Marshall JCM800>V212(Vet.30/ET-65)
Ibanez TSA15H>1x12 (G12n-65)
Randall RVC5>1x12 (G12n-65)
Quote by ibanez87
I say RATT's guitar work can be close. Also Whitecross can kind of sound like them at some times but yeah all in all no one else sounds like them.

Sort of... But Nuno Beatencourt of extreme is more like Eddie than anything. At least their first album, they developed more of their own style by their second album.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all
Well, they kind of had there own sound, which seems closest to the later 80's hair metal scene... at times.
So we can agree they are completly original?