Dunlop
0 0%
GHS
2 5%
Other
8 20%
Voters: 41.
Change string brands.

I am going to a local guitar store tomorrow to get a couple of sets of strings. I've been using Ernie Ball Power Slinkies, but they have been breaking on me far too soon for my tastes, so I'm going to change string brands.

I play a lot of metal and its various subgenres, with the occasional rock, punk and blues. I would mainly like a set of strings that lasts very long, but I would also like a string brand with good tone as well.

Recommend me something please Poll coming soon.
D'Addario 10-46, done and done

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
I've always used 9's on D'ads and Ernie Ball. They have worked out fine for me since I clean the strings off every time after I play and wash my hand before I play.
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
Elixers get my vote. The new Cleartones are really great too. I dont like D'ads. Ernie Ball are actually very good as well. toughie, any of them are gerat strings. I never really played DR, will do though.
D'Addarios or DR's for me
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I play D'Addario .011 - .049's and I almost never break strings. When I do I usually take it as a hint that it's time to change them. So I recommend D'Addario.
Stick with the Ernie's, the only strings that HAVE balls
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

i use 10 gauge DR black beauties
My pedalboard is worth more than my car, but that doesn't say much for either.
carefull with this string changing business, if you have floyd, you maybe setting it up again, i tried nickel rockers (i think they are GHS) 10-46s and my floyd was sitting 1/8 of an inch high, that doesnt work out well. i didnt feel like setting it back up, so i got another set of ernie ball 10-46s and stuck with em. they work fine for me and sound good. what size are power slinkys?

if breaking is the problem, brand may not fix it, you may need to just get a bigger guage. floyds eat 9s. i was playing 11s for a long time and they last a while.
CARVINITES UNITE!

7th

IV
Quote by Alienhead
carefull with this string changing business, if you have floyd, you maybe setting it up again, i tried nickel rockers (i think they are GHS) 10-46s and my floyd was sitting 1/8 of an inch high, that doesnt work out well. i didnt feel like setting it back up, so i got another set of ernie ball 10-46s and stuck with em. they work fine for me and sound good. what size are power slinkys?

if breaking is the problem, brand may not fix it, you may need to just get a bigger guage. floyds eat 9s. i was playing 11s for a long time and they last a while.

I don't have a floyd, I have a TOM bridge on my guitar. And I was using Ernie Ball Power Slinkies, 11-48 is their size.
Another vote for Elixirs here, best strings I've used to date, though I've been meaning to try Cleartones.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
I'm using spuire/fender strings curently. there not to bad. there is probibaly better out there.
watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpqSsddLzYc
dr are the best for many reasons:
Alexi Laiho likes them
You can be the **** out of them
and they taste good
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Quote by freebird_17
dean markley blue steels. they just sound incredible

I've heard that. Jimi and Yngwie used Dean Markley so they should be good. I might get the 12-54 gauge blue steels.

Any other recommendations?