freeloader1504
202 IQ
My band plays mainly Nirvana and Pearl Jam and all of that, or our songs are inspired by theirs. But honestly, being in school I do not have the money for the Marshall and the and all of that. So does anyone know of a way I can copy the tone? It can't be too hard can it? One of my friends recommended this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-Custom-Valve-YCV40T-40-2x10-Combo-Amp-with-Celestion-Speakers?sku=480960

Thoughts and Opinions?
Shinozoku
UG Nerd
1,227 IQ
A Peavy Windsor combo will give you Marshall-esque tone as well for a lower price, but I think the Traynor will have better cleans. Plus, the Windsor is one-channel, but it does have a gain boost for solos.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
latinosuperstud
UG Board King
1,273 IQ
fender through a tube amp... and yes that tryanor is actually very nice a should be able to nail those tones
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
cmakkidguitar
Voice of logic and kings
278 IQ
Quote by freeloader1504
My band plays mainly Nirvana and Pearl Jam and all of that, or our songs are inspired by theirs. But honestly, being in school I do not have the money for the Marshall and the and all of that. So does anyone know of a way I can copy the tone? It can't be too hard can it? One of my friends recommended this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-Custom-Valve-YCV40T-40-2x10-Combo-Amp-with-Celestion-Speakers?sku=480960

Thoughts and Opinions?

Jesus, i was expecting that to be an MG, your friend done good
That Traynor will definitely get you the Marshall sound
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
slatsmania
downright dinosaurian
1,012 IQ
The Traynor YCV 50 would be better. More of a Marshall growl to it. Get yourself an EHX Small Clone for even more Cobain goodness.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
DazzaSchwings
23 IQ
I'm sure you probably know what you're doing, but if you want more info on their gear and what not, check out this site: http://www.kurtsequipment.com/

Kurt's sound wasn't really the typical Marshall sound, it was quite dirty and very much in the mid-range. You want an amp that can really bring out the mids, and can give you a bit of bass if you want it. If you're going to pay that much, I'd recommend getting a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. It is good for what you want it to do.

The site says it has 3 channels - it doesn't. It has two channels (one drive and one clean) and the "second" drive channel and it is basically a boost channel that runs off the preamp. I have a Hot Rod Deville and it's the same. You can also run an effects loop through it.

Good luck
DazzaSchwings!
slatsmania
downright dinosaurian
1,012 IQ
Traynor YCV's pwn the Fender Hot Rods, IMHO, especially when it comes to gain.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
RG_FANMAN
is stealing your pedals
2,557 IQ
Fender Twin Reverb + Boss DS-2 (or whatever the turbo one is)? I think Kurt used that to record In Utero. Otherwise, Mesa Studio + a tube power amp and a cab would pretty much nail it.
Shinozoku
UG Nerd
1,227 IQ
Quote by DazzaSchwings
I'm sure you probably know what you're doing, but if you want more info on their gear and what not, check out this site: http://www.kurtsequipment.com/

Kurt's sound wasn't really the typical Marshall sound, it was quite dirty and very much in the mid-range. You want an amp that can really bring out the mids, and can give you a bit of bass if you want it. If you're going to pay that much, I'd recommend getting a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. It is good for what you want it to do.

The site says it has 3 channels - it doesn't. It has two channels (one drive and one clean) and the "second" drive channel and it is basically a boost channel that runs off the preamp. I have a Hot Rod Deville and it's the same. You can also run an effects loop through it.

Good luck

Hmm... I thought Marshalls tended to be known for a dirty, midrange-heavy sound. Or maybe that was just my trip to Bizarro world.... I can never tell these days.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Blompcube
Registered User Error
4,278 IQ
kurtsequipment.com as a few people suggested, will be useful

I find the real key to a nirvana-like tone is in the FX pedals. Kurt Cobain used mainly a variety of fender guitars, although he also used univox, mosrite, epiphone, hagstrom and gibson guitars at times. As for amp, he used fender twin reverbs a lot. I think in the early days he used a Randall or Ampeg head run into a marshall 4x12 cabinet, with the FX send plugged into the FX return of a Fender Twin reverb to be used as an extra valve poweramp and cab - well it looks like its setup like this in footage of old concerts.

But any tube amp with a good clean channel, combined with the right FX, should do it.

On Bleach he just used a Boss DS-1 as far as i know.

On nevermind, mainly a Boss DS-1 and an EHX small clone, although on a few songs he used alternate distortion pedals such as a ProCo Rat and a EHX Big Muff.

On In Utero, he used a Boss DS-2 and a Tech21 SansAmp classic for distortion, and an EHX PolyChorus for the modulation FX.
Rig: (under construction)
1979 Yamaha SG1000
Fender Jazzmaster
1964 Vox AC30TB
A/B/Tuner box
A -> DIY fuzz, tremolo and boost -> normal channel
B -> compressor, chorus and delay -> brilliant channel
Boss TU-3/Talkbox
superslash1994
Tinkerer by nature.
1,783 IQ
Quote by Blompcube

On Bleach he just used a Boss DS-1 as far as i know.

On nevermind, mainly a Boss DS-1 and an EHX small clone, although on a few songs he used alternate distortion pedals such as a ProCo Rat and a EHX Big Muff.

On In Utero, he used a Boss DS-2 and a Tech21 SansAmp classic for distortion, and an EHX PolyChorus for the modulation FX.

What about Incesticide! You forgot Incesticide!!

/jk

~SS
Member of the Bugera Users Militia

Quote by JagerSlushy
Go with Ibanez...Or if you're going high-end, get a Jackson.