has anyone used one of these? i saw them on ebay and they're a lot cheaper than a powerbrake or hotplate. wondering what you guys thought. thanks.
artists do what they can; geniuses do what they must.
i wouldn't really trust attenuators let alone one from ebay.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
It looks like a very simple resistor-based design, so it won't be tuned the way a hotplate is. I'd suggest a weber MASS if you want something cheaper and better than a hotplate.
Weber MASS=The shizzit
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i looked into the weber mass a little bit, but saw all the eq knobs and kinda got turned away. probably mostly out of ignorance. how does the weber eq knobs effect the amps eq?
the EQ knobs are for the line out for recording.
It doesn't affect your regular amp's EQ, it just effects it if you use the line out to plug into a recording device or PA (or something like that).
The Weber MASS III though, will have an EQ in the attenuator circuit.
I'll probably end up getting that once I get my new amp, i'll get one once it comes out.
I believe you can bypass the EQ anyways.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Is that EQ the only difference in the Weber III. I can't find any info on it.
Last edited by regulador34 at Apr 9, 2008,
I bought a TubeCube from that guy on Ebay a few months ago. Nice guy. But, I thought it sucked too much tone on my 6505, so I never used it. I just put it inline with my newly-acquired, used Mesa/Boogie DC-3, and it sounds pretty good. Now, I'm keeping it hooked up to the DC-3 permanently.

I think attenuators may work better with the "brighter" EL34/84 power tubes than the "darker" 6L6s, but that's just my unproven theory. The TubeCube employs both resistive and speaker-motor attentuation. Good product at an affordable price. Selectable impedence switch, too. Don't know if it sounds as good, better, or worse than either a THD HotPlate or a Weber, since I've never heard either one.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Apr 11, 2008,