For example, let's say a song is in the key of G. What makes it that? Does it have to start on G, do you have to most of the song in G? Thank you!
alot of times its the first chord in the verse or chorus but not always

after you play for awhile you can just figure it out
Quote by maggot9779
I guess if the chords/notes you use are in the G scale then the song would be in the key of G.

Not necessarily. It's about the tonal center more than anything. For example, G major and E minor would contain the same notes, but if the tonal center is G then you're in G. Pay attention to all the cadences and progressions as well as the first and last chords, and you'll have a pretty good idea of the key.

Quote by ortrigger
it all depends on the key signature. and no the song does not have to stay in G. the key signature can change at any time if you want it to. of course there are also relative minors to major keys and stuff but that's irrelevant to this post.

Tonal center more than the key signature. And the relative minors aren't irrelevant to the post, it helps to figure out specific tonal centers.
Quote by DominoK
For example, let's say a song is in the key of G. What makes it that? Does it have to start on G, do you have to most of the song in G? Thank you!

it all depends on the key signature. and no the song does not have to stay in G. the key signature can change at any time if you want it to. of course there are also relative minors to major keys and stuff but that's irrelevant to this post.
It's the note that the song happens to gravitate to. There's always going to be a certain note/chord that your melodies/progressions just sound complete to end on.
al the notes in the cords are in with the Gmajor scale although the major scale does allow accidentals

to stay in key with a major progression this example Gmajor

Gmaj       Amin      Bmin    Cmaj     Dmaj     Emin     F#diminished
    I       ii       iii     IV        V     vi        VII             

given that the progression resolves to G
song stuck in my head today

Quote by lbc_sublime
al the notes in the cords are in with the Gmajor scale although the major scale does allow accidentals

to stay in key with a major progression this example Gmajor

Gmaj Amin Bmin Cmaj Dmaj Emin F#diminished
I ii iii IV V vi VII

given that the progression resolves to G

F#diminished would be represented viiº.
Quote by isaac_bandits
F#diminished would be represented viiº.

i don't know how to do the degree thing even when i write tempeture it's always like -40f or -40C

Quote by lbc_sublime
i don't know how to do the degree thing even when i write tempeture it's always like -40f or -40C

A diminished chord still requires lowercase letters. It is acceptable to use a "o" or "0" for the diminished sign when typing. However, I prefer to use a real diminished sign, which can be obtained by opening word, then going insert --> symbol --> and finding the diminished symbol. Then copy and paste.
If you're referring to key signature, it simply tells you the number of sharps and flats in the scale. Generally, when someone says that the song is "in G", they mean that it is based off of G major.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by isaac_bandits
A diminished chord still requires lowercase letters. It is acceptable to use a "o" or "0" for the diminished sign when typing. However, I prefer to use a real diminished sign, which can be obtained by opening word, then going insert --> symbol --> and finding the diminished symbol. Then copy and paste.

lol i have a mac(and it is awesome) i will try to fond symbols

but i will keep the others in mind and i will use lower case letters

but what do i write let's say there needs to be an augmented chord or sus2 or sus4 or something like that how do i comunicate that like the diminished?

Quote by lbc_sublime
lol i have a mac(and it is awesome) i will try to fond symbols

but i will keep the others in mind and i will use lower case letters

but what do i write let's say there needs to be an augmented chord or sus2 or sus4 or something like that how do i comunicate that like the diminished?

An augmented chord is indicated with the "+" sign. For a suspended chord, you would indicate "sus2" or "sus4" etc.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
An augmented chord is indicated with the "+" sign. For a suspended chord, you would indicate "sus2" or "sus4" etc.

i c thank you