So this past year I finally made the jump to start playing guitar, after spending long amounts of time building hand strength due to a condition call neuropathy in my hands and feet. I had saved the funds, tried several guitars and had my heart set on a B.C. Rich Trace Warbeast. Lo and behold, the night I got it, as I was going out the door, my father grabs his coat and hops in the car with me. He was nice enough to buy my guitar for me, because although he never learned to play, he always dreamed of playing guitar and, seeing that I shared that dream, funded my initial endeavor into the guitar world.

Fast forward 6 months.

Here I am now posting on this forum asking for your help. I plan on keeping this guitar for a LONG time, I am 17 now and will definitely not buy another until after college. I want to upgrade this guitar and make it the best that it can be. I already replaced the strings and now am looking for new pickups. Installing them will not be a problem, as I am comfortable with soldering, I partake in an after school robotics club where we solder everything.

I am into lots of heavy metal, my top three favorite bands would have to be Cradle of Filth, Slayer, Lamb of God, and Chimaira. I am using a Line 6 Spider III 75 amp with Monster Rock cables (the ones with the fancy gold connectors). So please help me choose, as there are literally a million options out there and I am lost when it comes to which pickups. After doing some research, I think I will want to remain with passive pickups, as active pickups seem too complex and the idea of changing a battery bothers me. I know there are some kind people here who can help me!
Don't bother changing the pickups yet; there's no point through the amp you're currently using as you just won't notice the difference. Save your money towards a good amp that you'll really be able to hear the difference with.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Don't bother changing the pickups yet; there's no point through the amp you're currently using as you just won't notice the difference. Save your money towards a good amp that you'll really be able to hear the difference with.

Agreed you should save for an amp instead of pickups
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

+1
Quote by __________

Fast forward 6 months...

I already replaced the strings...

You used the same strings for 6 months?
SX Stratocaster
Fina Acoustic
J&D Telecaster
Yamaha ERB 300 (Bass)

Digitech Bad Monkey
VisualSound H2O
Ibanez TL5
Boss DS-1
Vox V847

Kustom Dart 10FX
Laney RB1
Save up for a decent amp.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by matthewchj
You used the same strings for 6 months?

No, my teacher taught me how to change strings at my first lesson, I am currently using ernie ball super slinkys. Yeah, I did notice a huge tonal improvement over the strings that came with it, they stay in tune much better too.

So what kind of amp should I be looking at? I'd like to have something slightly smaller than my current one since I will be taking it to college with me. Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate the help!
What's your budget?
SX Stratocaster
Fina Acoustic
J&D Telecaster
Yamaha ERB 300 (Bass)

Digitech Bad Monkey
VisualSound H2O
Ibanez TL5
Boss DS-1
Vox V847

Kustom Dart 10FX
Laney RB1
I am looking to spend no more than $400.00 - and that's really pushing it. Any idea how much I could get for my line 6? I have the FBV foot switch for it too.
We don't even know what you play.
But, used peavey classic 30 is always a good idea.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
We don't even know what you play.
But, used peavey classic 30 is always a good idea.

am into lots of heavy metal, my top three favorite bands would have to be Cradle of Filth, Slayer, Lamb of God, and Chimaira.

Quote by __________

I am into lots of heavy metal, my top three favorite bands would have to be Cradle of Filth, Slayer, Lamb of God, and Chimaira.

Epi Valve Jr. or Blackheart (head and cab) - $225-$250 (Haggling may get you down to $200-225, possibly even less if used)

V2 Jeckyll & Hyde Distortion pedal - $150 (again, haggling or used $100-125)

Danelectro Fish & Chips EQ - $30-$40 (nice and inexpensive new OR used)
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Horlicks

Oops, I didn't read close enough for that.

Sorry.

In that case... Maybe a valveking and an OD?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Oops, I didn't read close enough for that.

Sorry.

In that case... Maybe a valveking and an OD?

LOL

$400 max

Small enough to play and practice at a college dorm.

I'll go get you some coffee...
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Well I'll think I'll be taking a trip to try these out at the local store. So where should I go from there? I'm kinda stubborn and logical and have to plan out everything before I actually do it, so I want to have a set "upgrade path" if you will. Thanks again everybody!

here's a pic with my brothers drum set:
Last edited by __________ at Apr 9, 2008,
ive gotta crate flexwave with 2x12in. speakers. its kinda big for a college dorm room but its only like 400 bucks and its a really nice amp
Find a Peavey within your price range, beautiful amps, great metal tone. (Eventually invest in Seymour Duncan pups, either Blackouts, or something passive if you want some good clean tones as well. )

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

i agree w/ the peavey valveking idea. maybe get one used for under its regular 400$ pricetag
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
I am looking at the EMG kerry king set, along with a few other pickups, I am now starting some research into other brand pickups. After doing some research and learning more about active pickups, I decided it would be worth it. The only thing that was keeping from choosing actives was the battery life and now I understand that the batteries last a LONG time so I'm ok with that.
Normally, I'd like the Valveking idea myself. But at 50watts in a dorm... the tenants may take up torches and pickforks and revolt.
Quote by __________
I am looking at the EMG kerry king set, along with a few other pickups, I am now starting some research into other brand pickups. After doing some research and learning more about active pickups, I decided it would be worth it. The only thing that was keeping from choosing actives was the battery life and now I understand that the batteries last a LONG time so I'm ok with that.

that was my initial thought but when i played a guitar w/ actives for the 1st time and alaso learned of the battery life, i changed my mind.

for that xtra gain, they really are above and beyond
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Go for a 15w tube if you can find one. Lemme see if I can find one.
*self facepalm* Palomino V16... how could I forget about it! you may need an OD to get to uber amounts of distortion.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The amount of options really is dizzying.......I'm gonna go try out some amps tonight. After changing pickups, what is really left to improve, if anything?
Hardware and electronics/pots.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
^yeah.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Dude, DON'T GET AN EMG SET!!!!!!!!!!BUY A SET OF SEYMOUR DUNCAN BLACKOUTS!!! They are so much better.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
Dude, DON'T GET AN EMG SET!!!!!!!!!!BUY A SET OF SEYMOUR DUNCAN BLACKOUTS!!! They are so much better.

Have you used the Blackouts?
Quote by Hakael
Have you used the Blackouts?

yes, as a matter of fact i have..................why?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Well I just got back from guitar center........I have fallen in love with the blackheart for some reason.....it's just a fun amp! So I think I will be ordering one soon. For the style music I play, what would be the best choices for active pickups and the best choices for passive pickups? What features should I look for for my style of music?
Ummm...not to get off track, I'm not a huge fan of the BC Richs..

...but I like yours.
Last edited by biased644 at Apr 9, 2008,
Quote by valennic
yes, as a matter of fact i have..................why?

Just checking.

Getting tired of a lot of the "OMG <BLANK> IS BETTER THAN <BLANK>!!! GET THEM!!!"

That's it, no reason or at least nothing that can be even considered a reason. Then you find out that they never even owned, or tried them.

It's getting kind of irritating really.

Quote by Hakael
Just checking.

Getting tired of a lot of the "OMG <BLANK> IS BETTER THAN <BLANK>!!! GET THEM!!!"

That's it, no reason or at least nothing that can be even considered a reason. Then you find out that they never even owned, or tried them.

It's getting kind of irritating really.

Oh, ok then, i thought you were one of those skeptics that was going to say "OMGZ!!!THOSE SUCK BALLS!!" or something like that. Yeah, they are much more sensitive, they have a higher output than EMGs do, and they soudn all around better. Im actually going to put them in my soon to be Washburn X40.

Its cool then

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I tried a kerry king V with the emg pickups, I liked it but I need other things to compare it to. SD blackouts are next on my list, any others that I should look at? Also what passive pickups should I look into? I am going to list my line6 spider III 75 on the internet. How much should I ask for it if it's in excellent condition, I take good care of my stuff. I also have the FBV foot-switch (the one with 4 buttons and the pedal).