First post, hope it doesn't get deleted in a day.

Anyway, I'm looking for a decent set up for around 800 dollars (+-100)

I've played the Epiphone Les Paul Standard

(Epiphone les paul standard )

and found that I liked it. So then I started trying out amps and heard really good things about the Voxad30vt

Vox ad30vt.

I've heard some horror stories about this amp, and was wondering if any of you could recommend a similar amp (clean to classic rock, no need for metal. Don't even mention Line 6) or another decent combination of amp/guitar for around $800.

I'm looking for a decent zeppelin tone, overdriven but not the crazy distortion in metal today, and still be able to play some nice blues.

Thanks guys
Frankly, it looks like a good combo to me. I've had a Epi Les Paul custom for a few months now with absolutely no problems. As to the Vox, I'm unfamiliar with it, but looks good. I only wish that when I started I had $800 to spend

EDIT: One guitar I've heard amazingly good things about is the Paul Reed Smith SE Custom. It seems to fit your needs and is $600. Maybe a little cheaper amp in the same area and you'd be good to go. Just a suggestion, as I'm not familiar with the guitar, but based on reviews, it matches your description.
Last edited by keavader at Apr 8, 2008,
I don't like the Vox idea... How bout Peavey Bandit or VK Royal? Check them out at MF or something.
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
dude, i have that same exact setup and love it. The only gripe i have with the vox is that it tends to be a little bassy, especially at higher volumes. Great cleans though. Pretty decent distortion and OD too. Im looking into an OD pedal though to get some more warmth and crunch.
Quote by happytimeharry

We'll see how badass they truly are after their shins have been ravaged. Shin kicking is serious business.
I have a Valvetronix. I love it to death.
The AC30 model with the gain cranked gives me the perfect tone.

That combination is probably the best you'll get for classic rock and some metal.
I'm sure many will agree.
AC30 is way out of his price range...

Quote by SQHero
AC30 is way out of his price range...

No, the AC30 MODEL on the Valvetronix.
Oh haha my bad.
BTW Vancouver WA? Does ppl there like the Seahawks?

you wont be disappointed with the les paul for sure. as for the ad30vt, i love it, just a few faults, it tends to be a little bit more bassy than i would like, and the distortions past numetal are a little bit muddy. but ive adjusted around those problems, and i love the amp.

epiphone les paul custom
vox ad30vt / vfs2
Quote by pak1351
First post, hope it doesn't get deleted in a day.

Anyway, I'm looking for a decent set up for around 800 dollars (+-100)

I've played the Epiphone Les Paul Standard

(Epiphone les paul standard )

and found that I liked it. So then I started trying out amps and heard really good things about the Voxad30vt

Vox ad30vt.

I've heard some horror stories about this amp, and was wondering if any of you could recommend a similar amp (clean to classic rock, no need for metal. Don't even mention Line 6) or another decent combination of amp/guitar for around $800.

I'm looking for a decent zeppelin tone, overdriven but not the crazy distortion in metal today, and still be able to play some nice blues.

Thanks guys

Looks like a great set up, only thing is you may want to check out that's different is the Epi Custom LP, they're $100 more (Antique white is only $50 more) and they are built MUCH better, along with better wood, hardware, etc. All around better guitars. The standard isn't bad at all though, just be sure to try before you buy, Epi has been known to produce a few duds.
In my opinion, Agile 3000 series are a better value and overall guitar than the Epis. Definitely look into them as well.
the vox is fine.as another poster said,i would go for the epi custom instead.Great set up though!
Alright, thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't f*cking up and blowing 800 bucks. I've stopped buying beer in order to save up enough money for this (college kid) and have a sh*tty acoustic that I can't stand playing for more than 20 minutes.

I heard a good idea when buying guitars is to go in with a tuner and check the harmonics on the 12th fret, making sure it really is the same pitch as the open. Is there anything else that is a good idea to check out when choosing a guitar (besides feel, tuners, buzzing)?

And as far as set-up goes, is it usually a complimentary thing if you ask for it when buying the guitar (as long as you ask) or will it be an additional 80 dollars or so? (I'm planning on getting it from guitar center if that matters).

Also, as far as the little stuff goes (strings, cables, etc) what are some respectable brands/guages/types?
Not a bad selection. Epiphone are good, but there's much better available for the money. The Vox AD is great for beginners who need lots of different tones, but you sound like you've got well-defined tastes in music so you're better off getting a slightly more tailored amp.

For the styles you described, this is in my opinion this is the best rig you could possibly get for under $800:

Italia Maranello Semi-Tone
Blackheart Little Giant
Behringer TO800 or Digitech Bad Monkey.
Wow, I never even considered a semi-hollow body. I'll have to go try a few of those out