Lets start off with I Hate Digitech products because of all the issues i have had in the past. And I owned my Ibanez tubescreamer for a few months and then modded it. So had no reason to purchase another overdrive. But i just wasn't getting the sound i wanted out of it. And so many people were getting exactly what they wanted out of theres. So i ended up trading it off with some other stuff for my Randall. So im sitting there with no OD trying to get them sync'ed up but my Valveking is just not cutting it and was missing low end and tightness not matter what i did. The Randalls got lowend for days but needed a little bit of a boost and deffinition. Same thing with the tubescreamer engaged still had the above issue's.

So yesterday i picked up a bad monkey even after the guy said dude i have had 10 out of 10 come back because they said it sucked. But still i pressed on, there has to be some reason everyone loves these things. So i purchased it and right when i turned it on instantly, it was just what i was looking for. It added more level and the low knob added that bottom end deffinition i was looking for and things really tightened up. Also have it hooked into the Randall so it gives it a little push as well. Within 5 minutes i was able to EQ everything pretty much to my liking when in the past months were lost because i couldnt get it to eq right.

So with that said Sound quality and abilty to make the Valveking into a beast again i give it a 10. Reliablity is still in question but hey its lasted logner then any of the other Digi's ive purchased in the past.

The Bad monkey is a must for all Valveking owners.
yea i bought a bad monkey over a year ago and played it everyday for hours for like 4-5months before i got my distortion factory and it still works great after over a year but i am considering selling it since i don't use it
Quote by JGolden
yea i bought a bad monkey over a year ago and played it everyday for hours for like 4-5months before i got my distortion factory and it still works great after over a year but i am considering selling it since i don't use it

Wanna trade it for a Boss DS-1?

Sorry to hijack your thread man, but if you do, send me an email. X.trent.x@hotmail.com
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Bad monkeys are great OD's. Especially for the price.
I'd prefer a modded TS808 (which I essentially have, it's a ts7 modded to TS808 specs then modded the helk out of it). But for 50 bucks, BM's rock.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Bad monkeys are great OD's. Especially for the price.
I'd prefer a modded TS808 (which I essentially have, it's a ts7 modded to TS808 specs then modded the helk out of it). But for 50 bucks, BM's rock.

Dont get me wrong there great pedals but for this amp. It was a no go...

My Tubescreamer was a modified MIJ TS9. Still didnt cut it. My valveking didnt like the thing.. Sat there for hours tweaking it and could never get it right. Threw on the Bad Monkey turned level to 10, gain to 0. Then adjusted low knob to taste.. 1 minute job vs hours with the tubescreamer.

Tubescreamer was lacking the low end knob, couldnt get things as tight and lacked a really high boost in level. Thats its biggest issue. I needed both...
Hmm. Well, with my amp the tubescreamer works better, but if the BM works better for you, that's all that matters.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
On my ValveKing I actually use the Bad Monkeys gain along with the amps gain (level dimed). Its a solid pedal - definately works well with a VK. I dont really use it as a boost. I have the amp/pedal EQ'd to compliment each other. I just prefer it that way as it provides a smoother touch.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by mike.h
On my ValveKing I actually use the Bad Monkeys gain along with the amps gain (level dimed). Its a solid pedal - definately works well with a VK. I dont really use it as a boost. I have the amp/pedal EQ'd to compliment each other. I just prefer it that way as it provides a smoother touch.

Haven't messed with the gain knob yet. Right now my gain on the Valveking is at 4 and Gain on BM 0. And thats plenty, after 5 it starts to get a bit muddy. Ill give it a shot tonight though and see if it smooths out things.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Haven't messed with the gain knob yet. Right now my gain on the Valveking is at 4 and Gain on BM 0. And thats plenty, after 5 it starts to get a bit muddy. Ill give it a shot tonight though and see if it smooths out things.

I basically use it inplace of the Gain Boost. I also let it handle most of the highs, the highs on the BM seem to be a bit smoother.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by mike.h
I basically use it inplace of the Gain Boost. I also let it handle most of the highs, the highs on the BM seem to be a bit smoother.

Hmm ill give it a try... Thanks..
Quote by mike.h

What are your BM settings?
for all you Bad Monkeyers........... Is it pretty transparent?? Will it alter the natural tone of your amp much?? I wanna buy one but for my Valvetronix 2x12. I only use the Fender models (love the tones I get with it by the way) and wanna add a bit more drive thats natural sounding though.
Its actually pretty transparent... I was surprised... Even when tweaking the low knob it kept my original tone but added in more lowend. Most of the time when you tweak a knob everything goes to hell (Which is the reason i took my EQ pedal out of the chain for now lol). This is a perfect pedal if you want something to accent your tone and not make its own tone.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Its actually pretty transparent... I was surprised... Even when tweaking the low knob it kept my original tone but added in more lowend. Most of the time when you tweak a knob everything goes to hell. This is a perfect pedal if you want something to accent your tone and not make its own tone.

Perfect! Thats quite a few people that have said its pretty transparent. I think I'll have to invest in one. For the price, it cant do no harm
Quote by Ehosteda
What are your BM settings?

If you're wondering how I got the sound in my recordings - those recordings dont use the Bad Monkey. It would be quite pointless giving you my BM settings as they are complimenting the EQ of my amp. IbanezPsycho I dropped you a PM - read it please =)
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Last edited by mike.h at Apr 9, 2008,
Makes me tempted to snag one at my local music shop, because they only go for $30. I already have a TS9 though. hmmm...
Got my Bad Monkey for my vox ad50 2x12. Sounds very good! It didnt alter the Fender model that I love. Very Transparent. So far so good, I would recommend it.
Bad Monkeys will soon run the earth. i think their reputation is quickly getting to the legendary Tubescreamer extent. and i love it. i just hope that digitech doesn't try to rush an elaborated model in height of its success....though a 'BaddER Monkey' would be cool if they had that extra Mids knob and some other quality extra....and at the same time kept it UNDER $100. if they pulled that off successfully, they'd prolly be bigger than the Ibanez tubescreamers!!

eh....a guy can dream.... oh yea and i was completely ANTI-DIGITECH till i got my whammy and bad monkey. though i dont think i'll press my luck by going ALL digitech on my stomboxes
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
I've the Bad Monkey for my American Strat and Bluesbreaker and it totally kicks ass! I use it all the time.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard