So, I have some DR Hi Beams on my bass, and I jammed with a friend(guitarist), and he asked what kind of strings I had on my bass. I said DR hi beams, then he said I should get lo riders. So what's the difference between the two? The only information I've found online is than the lo riders have a hexogonal core. So anyone that has experience with these strings, tell me the differences please.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
To my ear the low riders always sounded beefier, better for slapping and such. What kinda music where you playing?
Just a bunch of various things I knew, improving, mostly metal, but also blues n such. Beefier eh? I think I might get some for my next set.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Last edited by CLIFF_BURTON at Apr 8, 2008,
personally i've never tried the lo-riders, but i hated how the Hibeams sounded and felt.

then i tried the Fat Beams, and haven't bought a different pair since. They aren't too bright, sound great, and they just feel so easy and good to play.

Personally i would say try the fat beams, as well if you have the money, or the next time you change, so you can compare them all.
They're both pretty bright sounding, the Lo-Riders more so. The Beams feel pretty conventional, but the Lo-Riders feel a bit odd at first - kinda fat, flabby and slack. It's an acquired taste, but they rule on my P+. I'd recommend the Lo-Riders. I always do.