Let me preface this with a statement that I know will get me flamed but whatever it's my opinion. I am a big Yngwie Malmsteen fan. That out of the way. I know Yngwie plays with a completely scalloped fretboard but i do not know why. In my extensive guitar life I have never played a scalloped neck, nor can I contemplate what the advantage is. Please UG, I wanna know, what is the advantage of the scallops?

P.S. I'm not trying to play like Yngwie, I got my own thing going. I have wondered this for years and thought some one would know on this site. Thanks in advance, cheers friends!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Because there's less wood beneath the strings, he doesn't even have to touch the fingerboard, so less pressure needs to be applied and he can play faster. It requires a careful touch though and it's very, very different than traditional fingerboards.
It gives more control with bending. but if your are a heavy handed player it sounds like hell, because your strings will bend outta tune just by pressing down to hard. but ive played a few and it seems to yield alot more control if your shredding it up, but i think its a pain in the arse if im playing chords.
Warmoth does half-scallopped necks. if i wanted scallops i would go that route
CARVINITES UNITE!

7th

IV
i don't want them, I just didn't know why he used them, I'll stick with a good flat neck
I wouldn't mind a scalloped neck from 17-24, I played a JEM with scalloped 21-24 and it was different. I liked it but only scalloping those few frets wasn't much of a difference.
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP
- Dunlop Cry Baby Classic

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
I quite like scalloped fingerboards, I dig in a lot and play a lot of big bends so for me it fels great. Doesn't really make it any harder to play and doesn't feel that much different to the norm really. I wouldn't want to try it with worn-down frets though.

On my S-series I've done them from the 12th fret upwards, and I'll probably do the same to my Tele when I've got a suitable break from gigging. If you ever get the chance go pick up an old cheapo strat copy (with a rosewood board!) and a few round files and have a go yourself. Dead easy to do, suprisingly, and if you like it you might wanting it on all your guitars.
Quote by ValoRhoads
Let me preface this with a statement that I know will get me flamed but whatever it's my opinion. I am a big Yngwie Malmsteen fan.

Right on! People often look at him for face value: superhuman shredding abilities and huge ego.

The fact is, he is a brilliant composer and he knows his shi t like a Baroque or Classical era master.

^probably gonna get me flamed
Last edited by nightrain28 at Apr 8, 2008,
Quote by kyle62
I quite like scalloped fingerboards, I dig in a lot and play a lot of big bends so for me it fels great. Doesn't really make it any harder to play and doesn't feel that much different to the norm really. I wouldn't want to try it with worn-down frets though.

On my S-series I've done them from the 12th fret upwards, and I'll probably do the same to my Tele when I've got a suitable break from gigging. If you ever get the chance go pick up an old cheapo strat copy (with a rosewood board!) and a few round files and have a go yourself. Dead easy to do, suprisingly, and if you like it you might wanting it on all your guitars.

Maybe I will, gotta love cheapo strats, they are a dime a dozen and easy to upgrade!
I tried his signature strat and it was pretty neat. Definitely don't need much pressure at all, but playing chords is a pain in the butt. Really gotta get used to using a very light touch though. Too much pressure is pretty much the same as bending a string and you can get some really off notes until you finally get used to it.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Sucks for Rhythm, very nice for playing fast with. Seemed to give me a lot of control, and speed.
I like it very much. Very controlable bends, and lighter touch. But I think I like flat fretboards just as much :p. As long as the frets are jumbo.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black