Page 1 of 2
Why is our generation not protesting the Iraq War in some way or form? I mean I consider this to be our generations "Nam". There's just no draft. It's bankrupting our country and killing innocent people and honestly I don't see any purpose in it. I just think we should do something, it doesn't have to be rioting in the streets we should just act and show that there's national war protest. Well thats my 2 cents.
There is SO much war protest, what rock do you live under?

Not EVERYONE is protesting because some people believe in the war
My God, it's full of stars!
No one's protesting the war? You sure about that?
Quote by Noyon999

They will be on their knees begging for mercy... But The Pit shall have no such mercy and finish them with a "HADOKEN!"

Founder of the Help UG Achieve World Domination group and Vice President of UGtopia
Why?

This war is nothing in comparison to Vietnam. Maybe you need to do some research.

Yeah, it is costing us money, but it isn't as if we could just get out. It takes time, so quit your bitching. If we were to pull out, everything that we have accomplished (democracy) would be in vain. Meaning every life lost, weather it be friend or foe. Everything would collapse and the country would go into decades of civil war, much worse than it is now.
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP
- Dunlop Cry Baby Classic

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
I see afew, but they're rare...

Ialways beep forsupport.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by jimmyslashpage
Why is our generation not protesting the Iraq War in some way or form? I mean I consider this to be our generations "Nam". There's just no draft. It's bankrupting our country and killing innocent people and honestly I don't see any purpose in it. I just think we should do something, it doesn't have to be rioting in the streets we should just act and show that there's national war protest. Well thats my 2 cents.

wat
Quote by jimmyslashpage

Regardless of the fact that I may not like the war... the reason:

63,000 (I think) Americans were killed in Vietnam.

4,000 have been killed in Iraq.

We really had nothing to gain by winning in 'Nam, and really not much to worry about if we just left.

If we leave Iraq, we do stand to have it fall into a haven for terrorists (In Osama's last video, he said that he viewed Iraq as their #1 most important battleground, and that they must win)...

There is my 2 cents on why there are no up in arms protest... and it can't be understated that there is no draft, which is the main reason.
Please don't confront me with my failures. I had not forgotten them.
just because the protest is much more concealed under the loads and loads of sh*t the media dumps all over it doesn't mean it's not there.
_b l/ink youreyes /1 for yes 2 fo_r n o
Quote by TDMize15
Regardless of the fact that I may not like the war... the reason:

63,000 (I think) Americans were killed in Vietnam.

4,000 have been killed in Iraq.

We really had nothing to gain by winning in 'Nam, and really not much to worry about if we just left.

If we leave Iraq, we do stand to have it fall into a haven for terrorists (In Osama's last video, he said that he viewed Iraq as their #1 most important battleground, and that they must win)...

There is my 2 cents on why there are no up in arms protest... and it can't be understated that there is no draft, which is the main reason.

words of wisdom
_b l/ink youreyes /1 for yes 2 fo_r n o
HEY!
Us Canadians have our own problem, if you don't mind with our overseas "peace-keeping" mission is being extended YET AGAIN
Shove that up your rectum

yea, doesn't feel good does it, having your tax dollars paying for our soldiers getting killed in a mission that was supposed to end i believe...3 years ago
instead of sitting here saying someone should do something about it why dont you do something about it...get out and start a rally or whatever they do..this is someone telling you this who supports the war but dont just sit and bitch get out and do something...get out and express the right these soldiers have died to give you!
I agree with you to a degree. I don't believe in war (call me a hippie and see if I give a ****) but there are protests but its mainly college kids and up. If there was a draft...hell yeah I would do something about it. I turn 18 in a few months and I'm sure as hell not gonna go fight for something I don't believe in.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
i hate this war, and that were in it...i will say taht and i will also say that we need to win and pulling out wont help us... but damn bush for putting us into this situation...too many lives have been lost
lot more conservatives in here than i thought.

There is something that changed my mind about this war recently
I was against it til i talked to a man you worked over there in the US Administration.
He explained to me his job and some things he saw. The main thing that struck me was this. The surge from a while back didnt really go in there to fight. they went into rebuild all the stuff we blew up and destroyed, building and government alike. I always wonder why that fact wasnt more advertised when the surge was being promoted
dude, ive been to plenty of protests, theyre fun as hell. i just wish they had them up here. all the ones i went to were in san diego.
I have no opinion on this matter.
People protest the war, its just that back in the 70's people were a lot more radical than they are today.
Quote by The_Hell_Patrol
I say pwnd/owned alot, and n00b even more frequently.

It comes up every few seconds actually. I actually said "imma pwn j00 n00b" to my girlfriend i think. She had no idea what i wastalking about, so i pwnt her n00b ass.
Quote by litelbrown
lot more conservatives in here than i thought.

There is something that changed my mind about this war recently
I was against it til i talked to a man you worked over there in the US Administration.
He explained to me his job and some things he saw. The main thing that struck me was this. The surge from a while back didnt really go in there to fight. they went into rebuild all the stuff we blew up and destroyed, building and government alike. I always wonder why that fact wasnt more advertised when the surge was being promoted

because the media knows that might make bush look decent and not a new hitler and they cant allow that to happen...there are so many instances like that and they never make the news...
I'm Canadian so the only war we're in with you guys in the war on terror in afghanistan which I completely support.

you know who piss me off? people who disagree with support our troops rippons. Even if you don't approve of the war who the **** can disagree with someone who puts their life on the line to protect your country
Quote by ibanez_rocker
Why?

This war is nothing in comparison to Vietnam. Maybe you need to do some research.

Yeah, it is costing us money, but it isn't as if we could just get out. It takes time, so quit your bitching. If we were to pull out, everything that we have accomplished (democracy) would be in vain. Meaning every life lost, weather it be friend or foe. Everything would collapse and the country would go into decades of civil war, much worse than it is now.

Honestly what have we accmoplished? I know that Vietnam was much worse than Iraq, many more soldiers were lost, but why lose more lives for whatever the cause may be? I just don't think we've helped anything and won't be able to. They don't want us to change the way they live, just like we wouldn't want them to come to our country and change the way do.
Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
I'm Canadian so the only war we're in with you guys in the war on terror in afghanistan which I completely support.

you know who piss me off? people who disagree with support our troops rippons. Even if you don't approve of the war who the **** can disagree with someone who puts their life on the line to protect your country

I completely agree. I support the troops 100%, just not the unjust war
Quote by soul_power
I agree with you to a degree. I don't believe in war (call me a hippie and see if I give a ****) but there are protests but its mainly college kids and up. If there was a draft...hell yeah I would do something about it. I turn 18 in a few months and I'm sure as hell not gonna go fight for something I don't believe in.

I found a friend haha
Quote by Dreadnought
There is SO much war protest, what rock do you live under?

Not EVERYONE is protesting because some people believe in the war

the rock im living under is Conservative North Texas
MY SOLUTION TO THE WAR:

*ahem*

1. Partition the country into 3 separate entities, a sunni area, a shiite area and a kurdish area.

2. Make Baghdad a separate municipality in and of itself.

3. Create a demilitarized zone on the Syrian and Iranian borders.

4. ??????

5. PROFIT!!!!!

Follow these steps and less lives will be lost.
Quote by jimmyslashpage
I completely agree. I support the troops 100%, just not the unjust war

Those who say that they support the troops but not the war are essentially saying that they enjoy the milk but not the cow.
Quote by imgooley
Those who say that they support the troops but not the war are essentially saying that they enjoy the milk but not the cow.

All im saying is that i don't agree with the war, but does that mean i want our troops to die?
Quote by jimmyslashpage
All im saying is that i don't agree with the war, but does that mean i want our troops to die?

i agree you can support and respect the troops without necessarily aggreeing with everything about the war they are fighting
Quote by ibanez_rocker
Yeah, it is costing us money, but it isn't as if we could just get out. It takes time, so quit your bitching. If we were to pull out, everything that we have accomplished (democracy) would be in vain. Meaning every life lost, weather it be friend or foe.

so ... like vietnam?

we went into vietnam. destroyed their country. raped their women. annihilated vegetation with agent orange. killed children. killed tons of people altogether. created instability. and ultimately left to have it taken over by communists.

how is that not like the iraq war?

and there's tons of war protesting, TS. where do you live? idaho?
#DTWD
Quote by jimmyslashpage

There is a reason why they are out there risking their lives in armed combat. They believe in what they are doing, or they would not be doing it. I applaud any man or woman willing to die for the the sake of others. I was on that path(to joining the U.S. military) myself, but certain circumstances derailed my plan.

My point is that saying "I support our troops" and "I think this war is unjust and murderous" is saying that the actions of our troops, who are the medium for the military operations being enacted, are unjust murders, but I support their efforts.
Quote by primusfan
so ... like vietnam?

we went into vietnam. destroyed their country. raped their women. annihilated vegetation with agent orange. killed children. killed tons of people altogether. created instability. and ultimately left to have it taken over by communists.

See what you want to see. I know many American soldiers and marines, and to say that they rape their women and kill their children indiscriminately is horse****. Don't use the pronoun we in this context.

And the final statement of this quote lends to the reasoning that U.S. forces should stay in Iraq.

The fact of the matter is that war will never be eradicated, and it is always a brutal hell.
Quote by imgooley
There is a reason why they are out there risking their lives in armed combat. They believe in what they are doing, or they would not be doing it. I applaud any man or woman willing to die for the the sake of others. I was on that path(to joining the U.S. military) myself, but certain circumstances derailed my plan.

My point is that saying "I support our troops" and "I think this war is unjust and murderous" is saying that the actions of our troops, who are the medium for the military operations being enacted, are unjust murders, but I support their efforts.

not all of them believe in what they're doing. I've seen soldiers interviewed that really don't know what were fighting for and are very against Bush
Quote by primusfan
so ... like vietnam?

how is that not like the iraq war?

and there's tons of war protesting, TS. where do you live? idaho?

Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold the phone, ol' chap. You're letting your bias get the better of you. The Iraq war doesn't have shit on the Vietnam war. (Ignoring the obvious one that we're not fighting communism anymore...for now. *cackles at China*)

The only comparable trait I can find between the two is that we entered into war with both countries under premises that, more or less, sounded like a good idea at the time.

Raping women, killing children? That's hardly what we set out to accomplish; If anything, it was a few isolated incidents that were blown out of proportion (no pun intended) given the fact that this Vietnam was a historic first; The first nationally televised war. Whose to say the other side was completely innocent? In any tragedy, forces emerge to take advantage of the weak, on either side, personified by any type of person.

Taken over by communists? Perhaps a bit of research is in order, my friend. Vietnam was well on its way to embracing communism, not under pressure from Mother Russia, but only because of the fact that with the mindset of the people and the circumstances of the nation, communism fit Vietnam like a tailored glove. We entered into war with them to stop it, because at the time the whole Red Scare bit was going on, due to McCartney and friends, chain of events, America is scared into war et cetera.

True we did use, even though it was executed by our always brilliant leaders, agent orange as a means of deforestation to take the edge from our opponents jungle guerrilla tactics, but have you checked how many American children were born from that with deformities? The tragedy of that chemical warfare affected both sides.

As per killing a bunch of people and creating instability, thats actually one of the intended side effects of this whole 'war' bit. Beating at each other, and when the other side starts losing, overtake them and continue until they say 'uncle'.
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
/\ how is that any different than iraq? in both we went into a country where we really had no business, and rearranged things so that they would be more to our advantage. in vietnam with the spread of communism, and in iraq with control of oil reserves.

i mean, maybe the magnitude is different nowadays, but how many deaths is enough to make a war worse than another? its still the US going in and forcing our morals on a country that never asked for them.
1- This war is nothing like Vietnam. We lost over 5x as many people in vietnam as we have in Iraq.
2- There is no draft, we are not forced to fight.

Yeah, it was a stupid decision on our part, get over it, we need to focus on fixing it and get the hell out ASAP.

You all need to read Benazir Bhutto's book "Reconciliation: Islam, Democracy, and the West." Iraq isn't getting a forced democracy anytime soon, they will not allow it. Half of the people there do not want a democracy, why force it on them? That sounds a bit authoritarianism.

I believe Padme Amidalla's words fit this situation right... "Have you ever considered we may be on the wrong side? Maybe the senate has become the very evil we swore to destroy!"

I'm not anti-america, just open minded. Feel free to bash me.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by jimmyslashpage

90% of the comments in this thread are just saying "yeah there is protests, you're wrong," but I actually agree with you. Sure there are protests, obviously there's some, but nothing compared to the protests against Nam, at least where I live. I think it's pretty pathetic saying that there are protests when that is obviously not what TS was saying. There's obviously some, but compare the scales both of them are on. Especially for people that are around our age (14-18) for most of us. Teenagers back then were badass, now it's like "aw well can't be bothered."
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Quote by jimmyslashpage
not all of them believe in what they're doing. I've seen soldiers interviewed that really don't know what were fighting for and are very against Bush

Against Bush=/= against the war, and there is not an active soldier in existence that would outright say in an interview that he did not believe/know what they were fighting for. I KNOW several Iraq war veterans that refute your point. Furthermore, if an active soldier were to state something like you said, they would be dishonorably discharged.

Quote by The Leader
Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold the phone, ol' chap. You're letting your bias get the better of you. The Iraq war doesn't have **** on the Vietnam war. (Ignoring the obvious one that we're not fighting communism anymore...for now. *cackles at China*)

The only comparable trait I can find between the two is that we entered into war with both countries under premises that, more or less, sounded like a good idea at the time.

Raping women, killing children? That's hardly what we set out to accomplish; If anything, it was a few isolated incidents that were blown out of proportion (no pun intended) given the fact that this Vietnam was a historic first; The first nationally televised war. Whose to say the other side was completely innocent? In any tragedy, forces emerge to take advantage of the weak, on either side, personified by any type of person.

Taken over by communists? Perhaps a bit of research is in order, my friend. Vietnam was well on its way to embracing communism, not under pressure from Mother Russia, but only because of the fact that with the mindset of the people and the circumstances of the nation, communism fit Vietnam like a tailored glove. We entered into war with them to stop it, because at the time the whole Red Scare bit was going on, due to McCartney and friends, chain of events, America is scared into war et cetera.

True we did use, even though it was executed by our always brilliant leaders, agent orange as a means of deforestation to take the edge from our opponents jungle guerrilla tactics, but have you checked how many American children were born from that with deformities? The tragedy of that chemical warfare affected both sides.

As per killing a bunch of people and creating instability, thats actually one of the intended side effects of this whole 'war' bit. Beating at each other, and when the other side starts losing, overtake them and continue until they say 'uncle'.

Wow the Pit is full of win today. Never saw that coming with beer.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
1- This war is nothing like Vietnam. We lost over 5x as many people in vietnam as we have in Iraq.
2- There is no draft, we are not forced to fight.

Yeah, it was a stupid decision on our part, get over it, we need to focus on fixing it and get the hell out ASAP.

You all need to read Benazir Bhutto's book "Reconciliation: Islam, Democracy, and the West." Iraq isn't getting a forced democracy anytime soon, they will not allow it. Half of the people there do not want a democracy, why force it on them? That sounds a bit authoritarianism.

I believe Padme Amidalla's words fit this situation right... "Have you ever considered we may be on the wrong side? Maybe the senate has become the very evil we swore to destroy!"

I'm not anti-america, just open minded. Feel free to bash me.

No bash sir, that is a valid evaluation, although you do have some subject verb disagreement.
Quote by estranged_g_n_r
90% of the comments in this thread are just saying "yeah there is protests, you're wrong," but I actually agree with you. Sure there are protests, obviously there's some, but nothing compared to the protests against Nam, at least where I live. I think it's pretty pathetic saying that there are protests when that is obviously not what TS was saying. There's obviously some, but compare the scales both of them are on. Especially for people that are around our age (14-18) for most of us. Teenagers back then were badass, now it's like "aw well can't be bothered."

it seems like there are just as many protests, but none of the widespread public outrage that there was during vietnam. i think we're a much tamer, more apathetic populace nowadays, and are perfectly suited to being led around by the nose.

i dont know why though. maybe because we have mad liberal a bad word, maybe because everyone is more religious, maybe because we are more violent nowadays, maybe we're all just nihilists.

whatever it is, we deserve whatever they give us.
Page 1 of 2