Hello everyone. Before going on, I would like to of say, I went to wikipedia, used the search function(but I have trouble sifting through multiple english) and google both before posting these questions, and while they were very technical, there is more to equipment than just how many watts it has or what materials it is made with. I have been practicing for a few months, and am looking to keep up guitar, and other than theory, learning which equipment to use is the hardest part of guitar for me. Basically, I would just like to know what exactly the following do, if I would need them(I play a rock/metal/and am looking to also add a sort of sound effects playing, like, imitating screams electronic and interesting noises), and any suggestions for someone on a small budget. Any help is appreciated, especially from seasoned players.

Wah wah pedal - from what I know, it boosts something called gain, and, not sure if this is true but is what I was told, basically raises the pitch by stepping on the pedal.

EQ - Well, I suppose from what I read, it would maybe, make it sound of cleaner?

Chorus pedal - I read that it makes.. a multiple guitar sounding effect maybe?

Distortion - Now, I allready have a distortion pedal, it is not that great, because I bought it from target

Overdrive pedal - my cruddy amp has an overdrive, but I can not really tell the difference between that and of distortion

{EDIT}
I would also like to know what a Noise gate is please

and the last question I have, is when using all of these, do they chain together, are they separate devices?
Once again, help is appreciated.
J Rocker
Last edited by SakuraInjektion at Apr 9, 2008,
Wah wah pedal - from what I know, it boosts something called gain, and, not sure if this is true but is what I was told, basically raises the pitch by stepping on the pedal.

yes basically thats what it does. it is used to add expression to playing and can in some cases boost your gain/distortion

EQ - Well, I suppose from what I read, it would maybe, make it sound of cleaner?

sort of. an eq is used to accentuate different parts of your sound such as you treble, bass, or mids. or a combination of all of them.

Chorus pedal - I read that it makes.. a multiple guitar sounding effect maybe?

once again, thats the basic idea. what it does is takes the notes your playing and raises/lowers them in octaves.

Distortion - Now, I allready have a distortion pedal, it is not that great, because I bought it from target

basically is just used to raise gain and or help get a more rock/metal sound.

Overdrive pedal - my cruddy amp has an overdrive, but I can not really tell the difference between that and of distortion

basically a distortion pedal but has slight differences. it is often used to help overdrive a tube amp more than it can do on its own and produce higher gain.

and the last question I have, is when using all of these, do they chain together, are they separate devices?
Once again, help is appreciated.

that is a matter of preference. you can chain them or use one at a time. most people chain them together. and oftentimes, people will have a favorite order they use that produces their ideal sound.

hope it helped.
Quote by ortrigger

hope it helped.

Very much, thank you. I will look into some in maybe a few months. It is just hard to know what to expect when you do not understand what certain things do, and would rather hav e this information early on, so when I do become better, I will know what to go for.
J Rocker
doesnt a wah just vary the bass and treble when its in different positions? And only some have added gain or distortion.

And an eq lets you shape your sound how you want.
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
If your dealing with a target distortion pedal, you might wanna consider upgrading your amplifier first. Look into a good tube amp before you go overboard with FX pedals.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by FLCLcowdude
If your dealing with a target distortion pedal, you might wanna consider upgrading your amplifier first. Look into a good tube amp before you go overboard with FX pedals.

That would probably be a good idea as well since I only have a cruddy guitar pack one.
J Rocker
What would be your overall budget for such a purchase, I might ask?
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by FLCLcowdude
What would be your overall budget for such a purchase, I might ask?

up to 400 at most, would need to save up sa little
J Rocker
Wah wah pedal - Boosts treble as you rock it forward, and cuts it as you rock it back. This creates a Wah Wah sound, hence the name. You can also get AutoWah pedals, which you just turn on and they do the rocking for you, but IMO they aren't as good.

A good Wah Wah pedal (IMO) is the Jim Dunlop Crybaby.

EQ - An EQ, or Equaliser is a pedal that allows you to boost or cut certain frequencies or bands. This allows you to shape your tone a lot more and tweak it to your liking. It is also useful to change the EQ from the on on your amp to one you would use for soloing, i.e Mid Boost. It's easy if you think of this as a more sophisticated version of the EQ on your amp (i.e Bass, Middle, Treble).

A really nice EQ would be the MXR 6 Band or 10 Band. I cheap but decent EQ would be the Danelectro Fish N' Chips.

Chorus pedal - Chorus takes your sound and makes several copies of it which are close (but not the same pitch as) your original note. The result is a smooth, lush sound that makes your sound almost liquidy. IMO, it doesn't work well on distortion, though in Nirvana's song Smells Like Teen Spirit, the solo has a chorus effect. Listen to the Knocking on Heaven's Door cover by Guns N' Roses to hear what chorus sounds like on a clean guitar.

I personally use a rack effects processor, but again i've heard good things about the MXR chorus pedal (the name escapes me).

Distortion - Distortion is a more extreme version of Overdrive, usually used to get a higher gain modern sound. Although some amps have this built in, others use a distortion pedal running through the clean channel of the amp to get the sound.

A good distortion pedal would be the EHX Metal Muff.

Overdrive pedal - Overdrive is achieved on tube (or valve) amps. It is where the amp is turned up loud (or boosted with a clean boost or Overdrive pedal) to the point where the sound starts to break up and distort. This creates a pleasing sound called overdrive. Most overdrive pedals are designed specifically for this purpose, so if you have a solid state amp I think you would get better results with distortion.

A couple of nice O.Ds: Fultone OCD, Ibanez TS9, Digitech Bad Monkey.

Quote by SakuraInjektion
I would also like to know what a Noise gate is please

A noise gate is supposed to eliminate feedback and buzz from your sound. Not many pedals do this without a significant loss of tone, but the ISP Decimator is (or so I've heard) a good choice.

Quote by SakuraInjektion

They are always separate devices. If you're powering them with the same Outlet you need to make sure that it draws enough ampage though. Also, when you connect them together (with 1/4'' jack leads), make sure to place the distortion or o.d last in the chain. Other than that, you'll just have to experiment.