Hello everyone
I really love this style
[LINKS]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMsq9qH-4xs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlehFaNTlu0
this last one has it but it is mixed with other music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsE_bau_DZw

, and I have heard it referred to as slap guitar, but yes
Any tips on how to actually PRACTICE this?
I have tried, but it is very difficult. Actually nearly impossible (not that I expect results right away, just that I do not even know where to start here)
I may also mention I am relativley new still to guitar and AM studying theory, so no trying to take the lazy way out on learning how to play.
J Rocker
You like Miyavi!
He's one of my fav guitarists. I am keen on learning this also, there are some lessons on youtube, although I don't really know how to intergrate it into general play, so you might have trouble too. (Would find links but internet is going way to slow)
Quote by Regression
You like Miyavi!
He's one of my fav guitarists. I am keen on learning this also, there are some lessons on youtube, although I don't really know how to intergrate it into general play, so you might have trouble too. (Would find links but internet is going way to slow)

I have liked him since Due le Quartz. I can not wait to see him again in his neo viz phase again, last time was at JRR @ the wiltern, and going to go see him @ the avalon. His newer stuff makes so much of a statement of individualtiy I feel.
But yes, very difficult to play, considering not everyone has complete ADD and able to sing, dance, play the guitar, tap their foot with a symbol on it and look good at the same time XD
J Rocker
Quote by Pow3rSlave
That was pretty enjoyable and impressive...

Well at least you keep an open mind. It is hard to get past the culture clashes sometimes =/
J Rocker
Quote by SakuraInjektion
I have liked him since Due le Quartz. I can not wait to see him again in his neo viz phase again, last time was at JRR @ the wiltern, and going to go see him @ the avalon. His newer stuff makes so much of a statement of individualtiy I feel.
But yes, very difficult to play, considering not everyone has complete ADD and able to sing, dance, play the guitar, tap their foot with a symbol on it and look good at the same time XD

Ahh, you've seen him live? I was wondering how, then I checked your profile and saw you live in Japan. Have you seen Maximum The Hormone live? And yeah I really like his new stuff, I want to get the 7 Samurai Sessions cd/dvd but it's impossible to find where I live.
I think the slapping part is exactly like slapping on bass but on smaller strings, and takes alot more practice I believe. Can you slap on bass?
Quote by Regression
Ahh, you've seen him live? I was wondering how, then I checked your profile and saw you live in Japan. Have you seen Maximum The Hormone live? And yeah I really like his new stuff, I want to get the 7 Samurai Sessions cd/dvd but it's impossible to find where I live.
I think the slapping part is exactly like slapping on bass but on smaller strings, and takes alot more practice I believe. Can you slap on bass?

try yesasia.com
Reasonable prices on many product
I have not seen maximum yet, they are actually on tour in america heads up, with googoo dolls or someone similiar I think of. DO not knwo the tour, but can google around and see
As for bass, I have only just started to play guitar. I have played shamisen for about 9 years, but it is very different than guitar. >.=.<
J Rocker
Quote by SakuraInjektion
try yesasia.com
Reasonable prices on many product
I have not seen maximum yet, they are actually on tour in america heads up, with googoo dolls or someone similiar I think of. DO not knwo the tour, but can google around and see
As for bass, I have only just started to play guitar. I have played shamisen for about 9 years, but it is very different than guitar. >.=.<

I didn't actually know what a shamisen is, just googled it and found out. It looks like it'd be played similar. And they are on tour with Dropkick Murpheys in America. I was so pissed off when I found this out.
Damn Americans get one of the best bands around (in my opinion), and I know they'll never come to where I live. And you should learn to slap on bass first, provided I am right that slapping on guitar is the same as on bass. It'd be easier to slap on because the strings are bigger and more spread apart, then when you can do that you can try on guitar.
Quote by Regression
I didn't actually know what a shamisen is, just googled it and found out. It looks like it'd be played similar. And they are on tour with Dropkick Murpheys in America. I was so pissed off when I found this out.
Damn Americans get one of the best bands around (in my opinion), and I know they'll never come to where I live. And you should learn to slap on bass first, provided I am right that slapping on guitar is the same as on bass. It'd be easier to slap on because the strings are bigger and more spread apart, then when you can do that you can try on guitar.

well my friend has a bass, maybe I will try it, hehe.
Thanks for the tip
Yes, I am in America at the moment myself on visit, so I am seeing Miyavi while I am over here, but it made me miss the X Japan reunion
J Rocker
Quote by SakuraInjektion
well my friend has a bass, maybe I will try it, hehe.
Thanks for the tip
Yes, I am in America at the moment myself on visit, so I am seeing Miyavi while I am over here, but it made me miss the X Japan reunion

Miyavi is playing in America?!

Those Americans get everything...

Oh and thankyou for that website, it has so many cd's you just can't find in shops over here. I can finally get Ayumi Hamasaki's discography (I find all her music amazing). Although it doesn't have Buiiki Kaesu. But ah well, almost everything. And X Japan reunited? Whaaaaaaaaaaaa. (This seems to be going slighly off topic).
like with most music the best way to practice it is to break it down and study its component parts, then play it slowly and with attention to detail, then get it up to speed, i play virtually nothing but fingerstlye and slap.
Acoustic Percussion Guitar Player
Quote by InvaderTSN
I can only poop during full moons.
Quote by fifer
nothing compared to Eric Mongrain's "Air Tap"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbndgwfG22k

I don't think technicality is the point of it. That's a really nice piece but completely different to Miyavi.

is there any good videos on youtube on how to do this sort of stuff though. I really don't know where to start, because I don't even know what they're doing. I can tell roughly what they are doing, but the minor details, and incorporating it into playing, I don't know how they do it.
Quote by Regression
I don't think technicality is the point of it. That's a really nice piece but completely different to Miyavi.

is there any good videos on youtube on how to do this sort of stuff though. I really don't know where to start, because I don't even know what they're doing. I can tell roughly what they are doing, but the minor details, and incorporating it into playing, I don't know how they do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-ouMEFmSIg

that is the only one I of found
J Rocker
if you want to slap like that (miyavi or whatever) then see some slap bass lessons, this kind of slaping is more like bass slaping..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground