when you write your new songs do you record them to a click and be like ok heres what i need to change or do you guys record it just out of your amp and while ur playing u stop and think how i can fix this.

i hear a lot of people say studio. but i came to u guys
well It depends. Normally I just write with my acoustic and then I'll record afterwards. But I like to play just me and my acoustic so that's easier for me.

However with rock songs, normally I say "here's the chords" and then go through with the band and get them to do certain bits. I then record the rhythm guitar part and then mess around and figure out lead bits and whatever.

I like to write everything though, drums, guitar, bass, piano etc. Yes, I am neurotic and Anal. As well as obsessive compulsive when it comes to my own music.
Need Singing Advice?; Read the first page then ask questions.

Quote by punkman_123
Damn Auals, you're messed up. :P

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
That takes ages Raven, I used to do that too. To write Violin parts and stuff I use Sibelius... which is the musicians version of Guitar Pro (yeah I went there )

Quote by punkman_123

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
I can't write when I'm pressured to. I write best when I'm in a class, free to zone out and do my own thing. I suggest you write your songs on your own time rather than in the studio or when pressured.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
i write with my bass out of my amp, then put that riff in GP and structure the other instruments around it (occasionally testing a guitar riff on my acoustic guitar)
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
i used to write in guitar pro. but normally i'll just have a like 20 minute long recording with me playing all the different parts (eventually, not at the same time). i'll play the lead, and then talk about that, then i'll play the rhythm, then talk about that. then just talk about the bass and drums. this way, i get the musicality, but i also get my thought processes recorded, so i can come back to them without exerting strain to remember them

I rarely even show that to my bandmates though. i'll just play their part for them, or tell them what i want. and we'll work through it. no one else in my band does any writing. and i tried to get them to, but it was just let to me.

i record all of that stuff on my mp3 player, in my mini wannabe studio at home.
I usually record clips of ideas before I forget them. But I try to apply more theory lately so I'm using Guitar Pro.

Simply stringing a bunch of riff ideas together vs thinking a song through is the difference between signed and unsigned bands.
can someone explain guitar pro to me? i've heard how great it is but what does it do & does it cost money?
you just witnessed the heart-stopping, door-locking, history makin, pants-droppin, earth-shakin, body quakin, lip-quivering, body-tickilin, love-makin fang
Quote by Sonic Blast
i used to write in guitar pro. but normally i'll just have a like 20 minute long recording with me playing all the different parts (eventually, not at the same time). i'll play the lead, and then talk about that, then i'll play the rhythm, then talk about that. then just talk about the bass and drums. this way, i get the musicality, but i also get my thought processes recorded, so i can come back to them without exerting strain to remember them

I rarely even show that to my bandmates though. i'll just play their part for them, or tell them what i want. and we'll work through it. no one else in my band does any writing. and i tried to get them to, but it was just let to me.

i record all of that stuff on my mp3 player, in my mini wannabe studio at home.

Exactly that's what I do

Secondly, Guitar pro is about 200$ but (and i'm not advising you to do this) you can torrent it or limewire it for free. However there's the moral complications obviously. Make sure you get the version with REA which is the realistic sound engine that doesn't sound half bad on most computers.

Basically it allows you to input music onto the computer as tab (or notation) and have the computer play it back in either midi or Wav files (if you get the REA).

Hope that helps

(it may not be REA i haven't used GP5 in months but it's that idea)

Quote by punkman_123

Quote by ZanasCross
Quote by brucehead
can someone explain guitar pro to me? i've heard how great it is but what does it do & does it cost money?

It should cost money, but a few people here choose not to pay for it's valuble services...

>.>

<.<

Anyhoo. Guitar Pro is a midi program. Almost exactly the same as PowerTab, but much better. The midi quality seems a tad more pleasing to the ear, it tells you if a bar isn't completed and you can program good drums in.
I started off playing from the amp just into the program but it's always throwaway stuff.I always have to do double work to get my song down properly so I use my time better and start instantly with a click track but I use a drum loop which is actually inspiring if you like arranging.Before you know it you have your band recorded by yourself.How good the recording depends on how well you want to work or just quickly get things down to a demo.
oh so it's like finale or a program like that. i might check it out
you just witnessed the heart-stopping, door-locking, history makin, pants-droppin, earth-shakin, body quakin, lip-quivering, body-tickilin, love-makin fang
Finale's not that great. It annoys me personally. Buy (torrent) Sibelius 5, it's brilliant.

Quote by punkman_123

Quote by ZanasCross
Quote by Auals
Exactly that's what I do

Secondly, Guitar pro is about 200$ but (and i'm not advising you to do this) you can torrent it or limewire it for free.

It's $60.
I just use Guitar Pro, and send it to all band members. If they like it, everybody learns their part from it, so its easier to start with a new song.

Raven, +1 for Hanners in your avatar ^^
For a real pervert, any exit can be an entrance.
Quote by sTx
Awesome post, dude.

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Goth
Peavey Valveking 112
My metal band, Nilfgaard
I write on an acoustic, then record the acoustic parts, while singing the fret numbers out loud. Then I e-mail them to my bassist, he does his part, and we play with our drummer.
Music Myspace

Quote by Kensai
Just don't do it in las vegas, new york or miami. Their CSI teams will find you and hunt you down without mercy.
ok. is it best to play to a click when writing your music? because i never really have played to a click and i need to know if its better to do that.
Quote by floyd matt
ok. is it best to play to a click when writing your music? because i never really have played to a click and i need to know if its better to do that.

I'd say its something more important when recording rather than writing
Quote by Auals
Finale's not that great. It annoys me personally. Buy (torrent) Sibelius 5, it's brilliant.

yea i got finale for a gift so that's what i've been using. i'll look into guitar pro
I have a notebook, in which I write down (on good ol' fashioned paper!) most ideas I have , such as riffs, chord progressions, or just ideas like 'write something like x band/song' or 'write a song/riff which does x and y'. Although most riffs/chord progressions I just remember after writing and playing a few times. I write pretty much everything on my electric guitar with no amp, or my acoustic bass (very occasionally I'll write something on my electric plugged in).

When I bring songs to either of my bands, it tends to be just one or two connected riffs/progressions, so I show it to the others and we jam a bit, try to write something else and discuss where the song/idea could go, as a whole band. (sometimes nowhere). I prefer this to saying 'play this' to people. I used to write more whole songs, with all parts sorted, but I don't like telling people what to do, so I just get my best scraps of ideas and show them to one of the bands, depending on which I think it would suit the best (which is always obvious, thankfully). I find it much more fun and fulfilling to have had the whole band (or just one of the others, as long as its somebody) write the song, and in my experience, all the best songs come from collaboration.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Quote by Ki'
It's $60.

That's what I meant

*whispers* thanks for picking up on that Ki'

And Sibelius does tkae a bit of getting used to. But it seriously is one of the best music notation programs once you figure it out. I've bene using it for 3 years now, through high school and now I use it to write Strings parts and the harder piano parts (i'm not a great Pianist) so that I can get my bass player to learn it (she studied piano for like 4 or 5 years so meh )

Quote by punkman_123

Quote by ZanasCross
heres what i do, in my band at the moment me (lead guitar) and our rythm guitarist write the music, we make a powerchord progression and the lead guitar then improvises it, we made quite good songs , we write the song plan the timing and length and then we practice it 4 or 5 times before recording
that's similar to what my band does only without the recording
Quote by Ki'
I usually record clips of ideas before I forget them. But I try to apply more theory lately so I'm using Guitar Pro.

Simply stringing a bunch of riff ideas together vs thinking a song through is the difference between signed and unsigned bands.

no. the difference between signed and unsigned bands is that signed bands are signed to record labels and unsigned ones aren't.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
^well duh
Quote by brucehead
^well duh

thats the point. the obvious difference is the difference. anything else claimed as a difference is generally just meaningless rhetoric.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.