Just got my LTD MH-1000 a little over a week ago. I plan on putting this guitar into drop C and keeping it that way. I'll leave my Gibson Sg for my standard and drop D. Question is who out there is using drop C with a Floyd Rose. I wanna get som idea's on what gauge strings to use and once it's all set how how it plays and if theres any more maintnence involved in keeping it in top shape with drop tuning. I wouldn't expect there to be but I don't know too much about that stuff. Just lookin for some helpful tips and stuff. Thanks in advance
I have my Kramer which has a 25.5" scale and an OFR set up for D standard and I use 10's. If your guitar has a shorter scale you might want to try 11's, but 10's should work fine.
so you know you have to have your floyd rose taken in and tweaked for diffrent gauge strings(i cant imagine you know how to do it your self if its your first floyd rose)but its never personaly happened to be but i hear that the floyd rose will actually fly off the guitar all together(and when i say its never happened to me its most likely cause i stick to the same guage its set for)
Last edited by justinl2354 at Apr 9, 2008,
^ It's not hard at all to set up a floyd for different gauges. I can jump from D to E standard in just over five minutes.

And a floyd isn't going to "fly off a guitar" in any situation I can imagine. Even the crappiest of pos guitars, that wouldn't happen.
You'll need to have 3 springs in the back and some thicker strings, I recommend Ernie ball beefys or heavy bottom.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I use 11-49's on my Gibson but I don't wanna go too heavy on the LTD so tapping and fast stuff is still easy to play. The 9's in drop D are perfect right now. Not sure if this is right but if I drop the tuning theres less tension then put on heavier strings this will make up for that tension lost from the tuning?

I'm gonna bring it in for sure to get it all set up. I'm bringing it to the guy who set up my last guitar I just wanna be sure I have a good gauge of strings to set it up with so I don't gotta have it changed again. I play kinda hard on em sometimes and don't want them feeling like wet noodles. lol
I use 10 - 52s, tuned to C# Standard. I don't need any more maintenance than a slight re-tuning every week or so.

If it's your first time changing guage on the floyd rose, it's gonna suck pretty hard.
Last.fm

I saw tail lights, last night, in a dream about my old life
Everybody leaves so why, why wouldn't you?
Quote by T!AN
^ It's not hard at all to set up a floyd for different gauges. I can jump from D to E standard in just over five minutes.

And a floyd isn't going to "fly off a guitar" in any situation I can imagine. Even the crappiest of pos guitars, that wouldn't happen.

That can happen pretty easily actually - remember, the Floyd isn't actually attached to the guitar, just balancing on the bridge posts and held in place by tension. If there's not enough tension, either from tuning to low or taking strings off, they can fall off.

TS, if it's your first Floyd take it to a shop and ask them to set it up for Drop C for you, but also ask if they can maybe give you a quick tutorial on what they've done and how to maintain it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
It will take quite a lot of tweaking on the spring tension and string thickness to set up a floating trem guitar for a drop tuning, because the strings will have an uneven force against the springs. I recommend getting a tech to do it.
Quote by steven seagull
That can happen pretty easily actually - remember, the Floyd isn't actually attached to the guitar, just balancing on the bridge posts and held in place by tension. If there's not enough tension, either from tuning to low or taking strings off, they can fall off.

Didn't realize that, but it makes sense. Thanks for the correction.
I use 12-56's in C standard at the moment and it's about perfect. With the MH you should be able to use 10's just fine, but I wouldn't go any smaller than 11's.

A Floyd Rose trem really isn't that complicated, it just looks that way. There are a few basic principles you'll learn really fast when dealing them.

Actually I guess mine isn't an FR trem any more. I got bored and blocked it the other day. I never used it anyway.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
I have my mh-400 In drop c, and it plays great. I use 4 trem springs, and Dr jh-10 (10-56) guage strings. It stays in tune better than my ibanez does in standard tuning...
I have an Ibanez with a floyd rose tuned to Drop B with 11s. Plays great. Just get it set up right with the spring tension and you'll be fine. Also, on another note, you'll probably want to adjust the truss rod and intonate it.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by Reildeal
Also, on another note, you'll probably want to adjust the truss rod and intonate it.

Yes- do this too. very important for the thicker strings.