Okay so I'm looking for an amp. My favorite tones from bands are Tool and Lamb Of God. I really like their "deep chug" yet "tight" type of sound, if that makes any sense. As I said, my two favorite tones are Lamb Of God's tone and Tool's tone. Although I primarily like their metal tone and play metal, I want to be able to play nice and warm cleans too. So please recommend an amp for me, thanks in advance.
Well, for now I'm looking at about 500... But I'm going to save up until I have about a grand.

Oh and I also love Dethklok's tone as well..

As for how versatile? I've already told you what type of metal tone I want, but for cleans, I want a Tool-like tone again. That's the only band I can think out of the bands I really like that actually use a clean tone regularly.
Well, like the others have said, a budget would be nice.

But if money's not a concern, you couldn't go wrong with a Diezel of some sort, perhaps a Mesa Dual/Triple Rectifier if you want serious versatility.

If you want to roll on the cheaper but still sexy side of thins, the Peavey XXX churns out some nice chugginess for not a ton of cash.
Peavey 6505+ maybe? Mesa Dual Recto?

If you can afford it, Mesa mark IV, as that's how LoG get their tone. They're also pretty damn versatile.
Yeah, I really haven't figured out my budget so just recommend what you think would be the best price/bang meeting point with what I can get.
this probably doens't help, but i've heard that Tool uses a bass amp. (not totallly sure)
O O

___
Lawl, the guy has a budget of 1000 and some guy recomends a Diezel. Shows a lot of the people on this board actually know about guitar amps.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by FLCLcowdude
Lawl, the guy has a budget of 1000 and some guy recomends a Diezel. Shows a lot of the people on this board actually know about guitar amps.

if you don't have anything useful to post, then don't
Quote by TheBax
this probably doens't help, but i've heard that Tool uses a bass amp. (not totallly sure)

They have used a bass amp, I believe that was on some of their earlier stuff tho (undertow?). Do you want something like that or later stuff (i.e. cleans on Schism)
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
/\

A Marshall Super Bass is one of the key components to Jones' sound, along with a blueface Diezel VH4.

Well, threadstarter, you're in luck! My dream sound is something between Tool and LOG too; tight and punchy, the ability to chug, yet dynamic as hell. However, I also play a good bit of prog, alt, indi, death metal, blues, and occasionally jazz.

I own a Mesa DC-5. I've never been happier. I pretty much nail the tone on the Ashes of the Wake album, and in just changing up my attack slightly, I can get more of a Aenima/Lateralus sound. The cleans are really sweet, but I've yet to get a really smooth Roland Jazz Chorus out of it. But if you're after a killer overdrive, with a really sweet clean channel, check out Mesa's DC series amps (i've played the DC-3 and own the DC-5, so I can give you an idea of the difference in sound the tubes make).

For between 700 - 850, you can get a DC-5 combo, or for 1000, you can get the DC-10 combo. Or, if you're like me and would want the ability to change the speaker cab to alter the sound, I got the head used for 720 (plus shipping) and the cab new for 619+ tax. Of course, you could probably get it cheaper than I did (just like anything), but still, I highly suggest it.

Also, what guitar/pickups do you use? A decent guitar with good pickups will make this amp sound like a million bucks (I played with a Diezel Einstein about a week before getting my DC-5 and felt the Mesa was WAAAAAY better, based on price and sound for my style), but it still sounds really killer with my low end schecter and ibanez. A Helluva lot better than the newer Mesa Rectos, the Express Series, the F-Series, and can get much heavier tones than the Stilletto. I used to think the Peavey JSX/XXX amps were incredibly, but after playing a DC head, I've never looked back.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
/\

A Marshall Super Bass is one of the key components to Jones' sound, along with a blueface Diezel VH4.

Well, threadstarter, you're in luck! My dream sound is something between Tool and LOG too; tight and punchy, the ability to chug, yet dynamic as hell. However, I also play a good bit of prog, alt, indi, death metal, blues, and occasionally jazz.

I own a Mesa DC-5. I've never been happier. I pretty much nail the tone on the Ashes of the Wake album, and in just changing up my attack slightly, I can get more of a Aenima/Lateralus sound. The cleans are really sweet, but I've yet to get a really smooth Roland Jazz Chorus out of it. But if you're after a killer overdrive, with a really sweet clean channel, check out Mesa's DC series amps (i've played the DC-3 and own the DC-5, so I can give you an idea of the difference in sound the tubes make).

For between 700 - 850, you can get a DC-5 combo, or for 1000, you can get the DC-10 combo. Or, if you're like me and would want the ability to change the speaker cab to alter the sound, I got the head used for 720 (plus shipping) and the cab new for 619+ tax. Of course, you could probably get it cheaper than I did (just like anything), but still, I highly suggest it.

Also, what guitar/pickups do you use? A decent guitar with good pickups will make this amp sound like a million bucks (I played with a Diezel Einstein about a week before getting my DC-5 and felt the Mesa was WAAAAAY better, based on price and sound for my style), but it still sounds really killer with my low end schecter and ibanez. A Helluva lot better than the newer Mesa Rectos, the Express Series, the F-Series, and can get much heavier tones than the Stilletto. I used to think the Peavey JSX/XXX amps were incredibly, but after playing a DC head, I've never looked back.

Wow, that's awesome man. But yeah, my budget has slightly come down to around 500$ 'cause of school. But yeah, that's slightly out of my range.

So... anyone have any suggestions for the 500$ neighborhood?
Quote by Nikon87
Wow, that's awesome man. But yeah, my budget has slightly come down to around 500$ 'cause of school. But yeah, that's slightly out of my range.

So... anyone have any suggestions for the 500$ neighborhood?

Bugera makes a Peavey 5150 clone.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
And Randall makes a versatile combo in the RG50TC.
Actually, there's a bugera head at the store where i'm getting my new amp tommorow, I should just try it out for kicks.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator