hey i am currently looking at making a rather big guitar purchase. i am planning on buying a Fender American Vintage 62 RI' and then replace the neck to a thicker neck more like the American Hot Rod Vintage 62 RI', or i could just buy the Hot Rod but that is alot more expensive. so my questions are:

Should i buy the Vintage and change neck or should i Get the Hot Rod?

How much would a very good neck cost? seeing this is quite a big purchase i would like a equally good neck!

Thanks in Advance
Feelin the Blues

"The Blues are a simple music and I'm a simple man. But the Blues aren't a science, the Blues can't be broken down like a mathematics. The Blues are a mystery, and mysteries are never as simple as they look" - BB King
Why not just get the regular one, and see if you LIKE the neck before you change it?
becuase i have played both of them and i like the neck on the hot rod better, but i want to know the price of the neck.
Feelin the Blues

"The Blues are a simple music and I'm a simple man. But the Blues aren't a science, the Blues can't be broken down like a mathematics. The Blues are a mystery, and mysteries are never as simple as they look" - BB King
i never understand why people need to buy something special to destroy it and build up some frankestein monster.

i prefer kids and high-school boys that build up their gears nightime in the basement.

i think that "the" products need some respect... IMHO!
timeo abstemios et dona ferentes

- lovermate: fender american stratocaster sunburnst
- powermate: marshall mg 30 dfx

- seiko tuner (sooo useful)
- korg metronome (keep fingers bleeding...)
calm down man, i just wanted to know the price of a neck. i dont want a frankenseitn monster i play blues. i just like the other one better and i want to look at options and know the price.
Feelin the Blues

doesn't seem so vintage when you mess around with it - i think its best to just blow that extra bit more for the hot rod - nicer guitar too. Play it safe.
Quote by MrBlues
hey i am currently looking at making a rather big guitar purchase. i am planning on buying a Fender American Vintage 62 RI' and then replace the neck to a thicker neck more like the American Hot Rod Vintage 62 RI', or i could just buy the Hot Rod but that is alot more expensive. so my questions are:

Should i buy the Vintage and change neck or should i Get the Hot Rod?

How much would a very good neck cost? seeing this is quite a big purchase i would like a equally good neck!

Thanks in Advance
I'm with you on this one! I've played both and the chunkier neck and flatter fretboard of the HotRod felt better for me.

The AV '62 RI has the traditional 7.25" radius while the HR has 9.5". I ended buying the MIJ '62 RI because it had the chunkier U profile similar to the MIA HR. The curious and nice thing is that the MIJ versions had 2 options: the traditional 7.25" and the "newer" 9.5" radius ... which MIA Fender offered a while back, then brought back in the '62 HR!

The best option is to buy an AllParts neck, Made in Japan. The list is ~$150 USD; however, you can snag them from evilBayfor much less, if you're lucky and patient.

Look for the model SRO-FAT, chunky 21 tall frets and 9.5" radius. They usually sell unfinished but some stores will spray it with the traditional Satin Nitro.

If you're handy, you can spray the neck (not the fretboard) with Nitro in a spraycan from ReRanch or StewMac or Deft! Yes, Deft sells Nitro (Satin or Gloss) and they're available from bigbox DIY stores for ~$4 USD when they're on sale.

I love my MIJ '62 RIs! Good Luck!

Seems like an expensive experiment... I would just save a little more so you know exactly what you're getting, and theres no suprises/disappointments.
Gear:
ESP LTD MH-1000 w/ EMGs
Ibanez S470DX w/ Duncan JB & 59'
Schecter C-1+
Peavey 5150 Combo
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD-808
MXR 10 band eq

WTB:
-Delay Pedal, 2 Veteran 30 Speakers, Duncan Blackouts set, Reverb Pedal
You can try a warmoth neck they have several neck shapes and thickness to chose from and dont cost 600 dollars wont say fender tho.
I can also add praise for the MIJ '62 Reissues. Some of the necks have different profiles to those available on similar USA models. Wish they did the '62 Tele with a soft V, though.
Sometimes the MIJ necks go up on ebay, If you're lucky you might find one.

What are your main issues with the Hot Rod? I'm more of a Tele person myself, but from what I can see there's nothing there which is a significant change to the tone or feel of any other typical Strat.
Quote by kyle62
I can also add praise for the MIJ '62 Reissues. Some of the necks have different profiles to those available on similar USA models. Wish they did the '62 Tele with a soft V, though.
Sometimes the MIJ necks go up on ebay, If you're lucky you might find one.

What are your main issues with the Hot Rod? I'm more of a Tele person myself, but from what I can see there's nothing there which is a significant change to the tone or feel of any other typical Strat.

I didnt have anything againest the Hot Rod infact i would rather it.
I just wanted to know how much the neck was worth so i could decied wither or not it was worth spending the extra money to get the HotRod or if i should just replace the neck on the AV.

thanks to everyone so far its been a real help.

I also have another question.

Since it cost so much in Australia for decent Fender strats, i was wondering are there any music stores in USA that you know of, that would ship to Australia?
Feelin the Blues

Quote by MrBlues
I didnt have anything againest the Hot Rod infact i would rather it.

just do the hot rod, that way the whole thing is original even if it's more expensive you won't have problems with intonation and whatnot if you change necks. Plus i like hot rods better
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Quote by shredforbread33
just do the hot rod, that way the whole thing is original even if it's more expensive you won't have problems with intonation and whatnot if you change necks. Plus i like hot rods better

Good point about intonation.
Feelin the Blues