Page 1 of 3
I got home from school.
Printed out The Trooper tabs.
I walk happy to my 1-day old Peavey ValveKing and turn on the amp.
Then, a weird sound "popp" happens.

Now I can't get it on. What the hell happened?!
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Quote by fender&gibson
did you put it on standy ?

Yes it was on standby when I came home. Now I just turned on the power...
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
did you just leave it on standby the whole time while you were at school?
Send me off to bed forevermore.
Quote by RatmN'Roses
did you just leave it on standby the whole time while you were at school?

I had it on standby. Then it's not on?
I mean power was off and then standby doesn't matter, right?
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Blown fuse perhaps? Take it to a shop to check it out.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by Ventor
Blown fuse perhaps? Take it to a shop to check it out.

Can't I check it out by myself? And how the hell can a fuse blow after like 3h of playing?!
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Did I do anything wrong?

yesterday:
power on
wait 1 min, then standby on
playing
standby and power off.

today:
power on --->huge pop
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Look at the tubes and see if the glow when the amp is on. If not, it's probably a fuse.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by fila_93
Can't I check it out by myself? And how the hell can a fuse blow after like 3h of playing?!

Could be a powerspike or something. sh*t happens. But yeah if the tubes are not glowing it's probably that.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by stradivari310
Look at the tubes and see if the glow when the amp is on. If not, it's probably a fuse.

Nop, they don't. How much would it cost to replace the fuse?
And did I do something wrong ore is the amp just defect or something?

**** Peavey!
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Quote by fila_93
Nop, they don't. How much would it cost to replace the fuse?
And did I do something wrong ore is the amp just defect or something?

**** Peavey!

No Peavey bashing please.. they make some fantastic gear. Problems happen to everyone.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by stradivari310
No Peavey bashing please.. they make some fantastic gear. Problems happen to everyone.

Yeah but after one day! That's just ridicolous
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
well, something was surely wrong with you tubes when you got it, you should go to the store and make them replace them
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Quote by Ferrarone
well, something was surely wrong with you tubes when you got it, you should go to the store and make them replace them

didn't the fuse blow?

in any case, I don't want to spend money on some new tubes, I just sent one e-mail to the place I purchased it from and another to Peavey and demanded replacement.
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Take it to the shop where you bought it, don't try to do anything by yourself. You're gonna **** it up.
Quote by steven seagull
I hate to say it, but chances are the only thing good about that amp is the fact that the name looks a lot like the word "laser"...

Check out my band!
Quote by andios
Take it to the shop where you bought it, don't try to do anything by yourself. You're gonna **** it up.

Problem is, I purchased it from thomann...
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
sounds like a fuse or the tubes. if the tube blows it doesnt shatter but the filerment inside goes bang so it might have been that. which can be caused by a power surge if the amp was on standby. best thing to do is to give it a break from any power for a while and then turn it on and see what happens. if nothing take it back to the shop and have a go at them.
i would just get new tubes, instead of getting new, stock, tubes.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
can't you just check to see if the filament inside the fuse is intact or not?
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Quote by elchico04
can't you just check to see if the filament inside the fuse is intact or not?

I don't even know what/where the fuse is...
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Quote by fila_93
How much would it cost to replace the fuse?

Very little.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Can someone here that speaks swedish/danish/norweigan tell me what fuse is in swedish?

I need to know when I'm gonna call the local shop and ask if they could change it...

EDIT: How do I see if the tubes have blown aswell?
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Last edited by fila_93 at Apr 9, 2008,
on most amps there is a little knob type thing on the back that you can unscrew to pop out the fuse. Thats where they usually are unless your amp is dumb and its on the PCB which would involve a risk of electrical shock to check it.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Quote by elchico04
on most amps there is a little knob type thing on the back that you can unscrew to pop out the fuse. Thats where they usually are unless your amp is dumb and its on the PCB which would involve a risk of electrical shock to check it.

Ah, I see it. Gonna check it.
Anyways, how do I know if the tubes are broken aswell?
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
like someone said before, if the filament is broken, you can hear stuff jingling around, or the obvious black burn spot.
Tubes are basically fancy lightbulbs.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Quote by elchico04
like someone said before, if the filament is broken, you can hear stuff jingling around, or the obvious black burn spot.
Tubes are basically fancy lightbulbs.

Can't hear anything so I guess they're alright.

The fuse now, it's hard to explained how it looks. But it is intact, at least the glass. Should it be a little string thorugh it? that's missing..
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Quote by fila_93
Can't hear anything so I guess they're alright.

The fuse now, it's hard to explained how it looks. But it is intact, at least the glass. Should it be a little string thorugh it? that's missing..

Bang. There you go. Fuse died. Get a pack of fuses. Try one and if it blows again try another to make sure the first one wasn't faulty. If the second one blows, one of your power tubes died.
Quote by CJRocker
Bang. There you go. Fuse died. Get a pack of fuses. Try one and if it blows again try another to make sure the first one wasn't faulty. If the second one blows, one of your power tubes died.

I don't think any tube dies cuz I can't hear any loose part scrambling in it. Can't I take the fuse from my other amp, a small practice amp? And how much would a pack of new ones cost?

EDIT: And I could do this by myself right? It isn't any chances of hurting me?
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Quote by fila_93
I don't think any tube dies cuz I can't hear any loose part scrambling in it. Can't I take the fuse from my other amp, a small practice amp? And how much would a pack of new ones cost?

EDIT: And I could do this by myself right? It isn't any chances of hurting me?

i would get a new set, and have a professional do it. take to a local shop and tell them what happened.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by ugmung
i would get a new set, and have a professional do it. take to a local shop and tell them what happened.

The whole amp? Is really big, pan in the ass to drag it around. Probably need to go by bus aswell because both parents are in work on days. Is it hard to change it?
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
No you could not as they are likely different types. New fuses cost maybe a $1.50. Tubes should go right in if you use the same kind, but if it is a tube I would use my warranty to get Peavey to foot the bill.
Yeah you have to bring the whole thing unless you can get tubes that match the ones broke. Its the not actual replacing that is hard, its that the tubes have to be biased to work optimally.

When ordering from thetubestore.com its neat because they give you a tube "number" so that whenever you need new tubes you can just ask them for tubes with the same number and never have to get the amp biased again.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Quote by CJRocker
No you could not as they are likely different types. New fuses cost maybe a $1.50. Tubes should go right in if you use the same kind, but if it is a tube I would use my warranty to get Peavey to foot the bill.

I really don't think it's the tubes. Can't hear anything scramble around and no black mark.

But how could the fuse be hard to change by yourself. I got it out easy so to replace itt would be easy too, wouldn't it?
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Quote by fila_93
The whole amp? Is really big, pan in the ass to drag it around. Probably need to go by bus aswell because both parents are in work on days. Is it hard to change it?

ok... that might be a problem.
which model is it? 212?

personally, i have no idea how to change tubes. i tried it once and went **** it. eh, i couldnt find anything on wikihow... you could probably find something on the web.

you could maybe call a local shop and ask for help, maybe they have a book on it at the shop or maybe they could show you at the shop.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by ugmung
ok... that might be a problem.
which model is it? 212?

personally, i have no idea how to change tubes. i tried it once and went **** it. eh, i couldnt find anything on wikihow... you could probably find something on the web.

you could maybe call a local shop and ask for help, maybe they have a book on it at the shop or maybe they could show you at the shop.

Yeah the 212.

But now I'm getting kinda confused, only the fuse blew (i think) so why would I need to change power tubes?
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Don't bash the peavey. It sounds like a simple problem.

Btw, power on -> wait -> standby -> play -> standby of -> power off.

Well, my Marshall DSL100 lasted for 20 minutes. A frigging $1500 quarterstack!
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
Quote by fila_93
I really don't think it's the tubes. Can't hear anything scramble around and no black mark.

But how could the fuse be hard to change by yourself. I got it out easy so to replace itt would be easy too, wouldn't it?

Where did I say a fuse was hard to change?

EDIT: You ONLY need to change a power tube IF it keeps blowing fuses, which means there is a fault in the tube.

Then maybe you should not comment. Unless you change the tube type, ti should go in and work fine for the most part. It might need some slight tweaks, but nothing dangerous or anything that cause major issues with the tubes
Last edited by CJRocker at Apr 9, 2008,
Page 1 of 3