I've only been playing guitar for about a year and I was wondering if anyone had some good advice on how to solo.
you go the the lessons section.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
my best advice would be to learn your scales pentatonic and major in as many keys and positions as posibble and just practise them as much as you can. Then practise improvisation. being able to improvise is such an important factor of guitar playing even if its only in one or two keys. If you can do that then your sorted. just play around try different little techniques and stuff and youll come up with something eventually. All in all IT COME WITH TIME
In addition to practicing improv, learn some solos from artists that inspire you (try songs that are a challenge but also realistic for your skill level). That will teach you a lot about soloing
Quote by Stash Jam
In addition to practicing improv, learn some solos from artists that inspire you (try songs that are a challenge but also realistic for your skill level). That will teach you a lot about soloing

+1

learn to solo by ...... soloing. the best place to start is by learning some solos that you like. Pick something easy to start with.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
+1

learn to solo by ...... soloing. the best place to start is by learning some solos that you like. Pick something easy to start with.

I agree, its good to start by copying other peoples licks. It teaches you alot about phrasing and note choice, and gets you sounding good straight away
After some time you can start tweaking the licks you know to add your own personality. Adding a note, bending into a note that was originaly picked, changing a note, changine the tempo, playing on a different set of strings etc are all things you can do to start making other peoples licks become more personalized. After some time you will start comming up with your own licks, but copying others that now what they are doing is a good place to start.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
Quote by GuitarMunky
+1

+1.

But don't forget to learn some theory about scales and chord progression, especially the major scale.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
i recommend Smells Like Teen Spirit. i know its the vocal melody, but its good to start with.
90% of teens say they would cry if they saw the Jonas Brothers about to fall off a skyscraper, if you're one of the 10% who would shout, "JUMP MUTHA*******", put this in your signature

My Last .fm page: http://www.last.fm/user/mcgelie
easiest way to start is take the C major scale, and rip all the triads from it..

make a chord progression, then solo over it using the basic C major scale position.. 1 octave at first. just make melodies. speak your mind. then advance to 2 octaves and see what kind of whacky **** you can come up with.

if you don't know any theory yet, just use the power chords for C, D, and E and solo over that (3rd, 5th, 7th fret on the A string)

once you get comfortable with that.. try using the same chord progresison, but use A minor instead of C major. see what you can come up with... try fast.. slow.. and in between..

good luck
Quote by sonetlumiere87
I've only been playing guitar for about a year and I was wondering if anyone had some good advice on how to solo.
Honestly? Learn and improvis in a pentatonic box shape or 2, that will get your phrasing and technique right for improvising. Than learn some theory, and intervals and degrees and than harmonic and melodic qualities of notes.

Or got to the crossroads...
learn some boxes for the time being and just play over powerchords until you learn theory, and also practise licks and solos from songs. there isnt any shortcut to a good soloing abilty
Quote by Darth_Qurashi
Man it feels just like anal sex, I think; I'm still a virgin

Quote by nebiru
Goose is my Hero.

Quote by Xeus
Yeah, if you get the shag in before she's your legal sister the incest is over turned
Quote by GooseMcShred
learn some boxes for the time being and just play over powerchords until you learn theory, and also practise licks and solos from songs. there isnt any shortcut to a good soloing abilty
Apart from theory...
yeah but learning theory isnt really a shortcut is it? i mean while he learns theory
Quote by Darth_Qurashi
Man it feels just like anal sex, I think; I'm still a virgin

Quote by nebiru
Goose is my Hero.

Quote by Xeus
Yeah, if you get the shag in before she's your legal sister the incest is over turned
Quote by twistedmaggot
you go the the lessons section.

+666
Quote by rabidguitarist
Please don't ruin this thread. Transvestitism is serious business.
I would say the best way is to learn from masters. Figure out changes and lines from your favourite recordings and try to play them. There's also a great resource on the web with lots of licks for free http://bopland.org