I've been 4looking at the squier standard versus the affinity,, noticing the difference in pikups ( alnico) the alder wood versus agathis 21 frets versus 22 etc.. in your opinions,, looking for pros and cons on both-- thank s a bunch
Affinity.
I forgot why, but the affinity series usually is better than standard.
The affinity is GARBAGE! (the standard ain't no prize either) Agathis is a horrible wood to make a guitar out of, the necks may as well be used as kindling and the pickups I swear are made of magenetized tin foil. POS! Save your cash and get a MIM Fender Strat
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
valo-- thats funny--I've been hearing about those pickups, must say I haven't heard anything good at all. , thanks for the info, I've been listening to both on you tube,, but then again noone is really saying anything about the quality,, thier just running through riffs
Quote by ValoRhoads
The affinity is GARBAGE! (the standard ain't no prize either) Agathis is a horrible wood to make a guitar out of, the necks may as well be used as kindling and the pickups I swear are made of magenetized tin foil. POS! Save your cash and get a MIM Fender Strat

Affinity is alder, standard is agathis
umm, the infinity is made of alder, not agathis. so yeah.

i'd pick the affinity over the standard, since the standard is made out of agathis, and the affinity has more potential in the long run.

but i'd get a MIM strat
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
Save for a bit longer / get a Saturday job / talk very nicely to parents. A MIM standard isn't that much more than those Squiers (~£300 vs ~£200 in UK).

Slightly OT: If the affinity is superior why is it cheaper?
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
Quote by pEdAl2
Save for a bit longer / get a Saturday job / talk very nicely to parents. A MIM standard isn't that much more than those Squiers (~£300 vs ~£200 in UK).

Slightly OT: If the affinity is superior why is it cheaper?

22 frets? It's probably crap alder anyway
Squire affinitys cheaper for a reason, the only squire id go for would be a custom of sorts, but even then, theres probably a better epiphone on that price range
^I'm thinking he wants a fender-style.
TS, The affinity series is not bad by any means, they just don't have great wiring/pickups/hardware. the neck and body are actually very good.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by donleejr
I've been 4looking at the squier standard versus the affinity,, noticing the difference in pikups ( alnico) the alder wood versus agathis 21 frets versus 22 etc.. in your opinions,, looking for pros and cons on both-- thank s a bunch

Forget the Bull**** anti Squier bigotry, they are ok for the money as a starter guitar, so as just that either will do, but if you want it as a starter guitar then issues like whether it has 21 or 22 frets aint really relevant at this stage neither is what wood the body is made of. If you can already play I would wonder why you would want either to be honest, as mentioned before it would be better to save for an MIM Strat.
I have an Affinty HSS Strat along with an MIM Strat, I still enjoy playing it but I tend to keep the Squier in Eb standard tuning basically because my MIM has a floating bridge making it a real pain in the arse to tune down.
I wish I had tallent and ability.

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
i went with an affinity TELECASTER. beautiful neck and the wood was very nice stripped.

but if you was spending $200 on a strat, id buy a yamaha pacifica 112J.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I heard something about the standards being made of "hardwood" which translates to plywood, but I'm not sure about the authenticity of the statement....
I don't even shred
the affinity is better than standard for sure. i have one actually. the pickups arent the greatest still but out of the two that one is better. and the neck feels better than the standard imo. you could always upgrade the pickups later on too and it would be a decent guitar. a lot of people get squiers and mod them.

but id save some more and get a fender MIM standard or just a different guitar altogether.
thanks all for giving me something to go on,,

ANDY,, good point.

I actually found the peavey predator, with really good quality pickups ( sss )

I played the affinity and the standard (squier) and the peavey actually had a better sound,, due to the nice pickups, also the neck in once piece maple, felt good.

it was light in weight, but sure has got some balls.

I'll keep this one as I save up for the fender standard and forget about the squier series. I was in desperate need, got to be in the studio in 2 weeks , I'm glad I found something now so I can use these 2 weeks for rehearsal before getting there.

again all,, thanks a bunch-- IMO when I tried the squier standard and affinity, I thought the standards sound was better, but the affinity had a better feel
Either way. Squiers are sort of Hit-and-miss.
Some suck, yet some play like a dream.
I'm lucky to have gotten the latter.
Bear in mind that every Squier you play will be different in quality. They're not the most consistent guitars so it's strongly advised to only buy one you've actually played. That's porbably why you preferred the Affinity as well, a good setup will make all the difference so you really should play the exact guitar you're getting before handing over the cash.
I'd rather have a Standard, the wood on the Affinity isn't great. JJ's picture is intriguing though, actually looks like a reasonable bit of solid wood. Hmm.

But as I say every time, the Yamaha Pacifica is the finest bidget guitar money can buy. More flexible, better pickups, a more stable trem and great build quality.
^ i like squier tele's better than thier strats in general. and in my case, yeah, i knew i was getting rid of the pups and such, so it made sense to go with the alder over the agathis/poplar.

plus the affinity was only $169. so with rails and a new finish it's still a bargin.

i think one of the only models better for modding, is the squier 51' if you can find one.

it's a really fun guitar to play, but no, i wouldnt get it, and keep the stock pups.

edit: ANd yes i played more than a few of these to find my favorite. the raw feel of the neck is great, but fretwork on some of these are hit or miss.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Apr 10, 2008,
I picked up an Affinity strat yesterday from a noob that "upgraded" to another squier. $50. After intonation and a truss rod adjustments, today this thing is unbeatable considering the price I paid. I do plan on replacing the pick ups soon, but the neck is fast and now, straight.
Since you are planning on modding whatever it is, just start with a body shape you like and try to find one constructed of decent wood.