Okay, let me first start off by saying im not the most tech-savvy person. I want to get a router so that I can play my PS3 online, but at the same time also use our home computer.

Now for some details: The home computer is downstairs, the service provider is Virgin, so I will need a cable router (im pretty sure thats it) The homecomputer is wireless enabled somehow, but at the moment its directly connected using the lead. And my PS3 is upstairs in my room, which you all probably know is wireless enabled, I assume the router will need to have a wide range otherwise I may have low connectivity for my ps3 from the router downstairs.

Basically, would I need any more things apart from the router for both the PC and the ps3 to connect online? What routers would you recomend? (im the UK, ebuyer normally stocks goods cheaper than shops, so im looking on there) Is there anything else I would need to consider?

I was looking at this router as it was recomended by a friend: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/97221/show_product_reviews

But im willing to spend more as I want a good connection/speed. So can anyone help me?
Everything you've said is correct, i'd recommened a netgear, best reliability in my opinion ( i work in an IT store, although never had experience with buffallo).
you won't go far wrong with any netgear cable router (not modem router) on ebuyer
Likewise, I suggest the netgear, thats what I run with my home Pc, laptop and Xbox at the same time and It doesnt get laggy online unless I'm downloading stuff, which is pretty awesome.
Oh, as for range, the bog standard should be fine
key thing to remember when looking is not to be drawn in by 'highspeed' routers if you only want to game on the net, not share files, because all routers support higher speeds than most internet connections anyway (54MBps router, only 8MBps internet), so it wont make a differnce
If you buy a 802.11a/b/g cable router, you will be fine. Netgear, as mentioned, is a good product to use.

Any products advertising extended ranges / speeds faster than 802.11g are pointless as your PS3 is not going to work with these products. The same goes for 802.11N (which is technically not finished yet - but you can still buy the products) standard.

This is all you will need.

If you have any problems with actual set up, let us know!
Netgear, Linksys/Cisco are the better routers you can buy.
If you could go wired, it'd have a much better connection, but since you can't, 802.11g is the standard atm, but there is an experimental model running at over 100/mbps, try asking about or checking about on ebuyer for that.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
I'm not a netgear man myself, I'm a big Linksys Fan. They are made by Cisco, and are pretty much the **** for connectivity and easy connection to your modem. You don't nesscicarily need a cable router, if your computer is able to hook up to an Ethernet cord, it should be fine with ANY router.

The diff types make a diffrence too

Wireless N will get a wider range and more solid speeds at those ranges, but isn't as widely supported as G/B

netgears is bad, but Linksys has a better reputation.
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
Netgear, Linksys/Cisco are the better routers you can buy.
If you could go wired, it'd have a much better connection, but since you can't, 802.11g is the standard atm, but there is an experimental model running at over 100/mbps, try asking about or checking about on ebuyer for that.

Pointless as PS3 is not compatible with this.

Quote by Phoenix-Kun
I'm not a netgear man myself, I'm a big Linksys Fan. They are made by Cisco, and are pretty much the **** for connectivity and easy connection to your modem. You don't nesscicarily need a cable router, if your computer is able to hook up to an Ethernet cord, it should be fine with ANY router.

The diff types make a diffrence too

Wireless N will get a wider range and more solid speeds at those ranges, but isn't as widely supported as G/N

netgears is bad, but Linksys has a better reputation.

Again, not compatible with PS3.
Quote by saphrax

Again, not compatible with PS3.

It was more of a general knowledge statement more than a solution, as i said it wasn't widely supported

^_^
Quote by Phoenix-Kun
It was more of a general knowledge statement more than a solution, as i said it wasn't widely supported

^_^

Fair enough, but TS said he isn't IT savvy. Being in tech support, you learn to not mention anything that he doesn't need to know. It just confuses them.
I am in tech support lol, I do verizon DSL tech support, not too much of a fun Gig really, you get the dumbest people...

"sir, go to the address bar"

".....i don't have one, i have a mail box..."

"....*slams head on keyboard*"
Quote by Phoenix-Kun
I am in tech support lol, I do verizon DSL tech support, not too much of a fun Gig really, you get the dumbest people...

"sir, go to the address bar"

".....i don't have one, i have a mail box..."

"....*slams head on keyboard*"

I can truley sympathise. I too do tech support, but just for our staff, most of which are at least in some way IT savvy.