I apologize for creating yet another "which amp" threat. I looked through the stickys, but they just seemed too stretched out, in terms of price categories.

My price range is basically anything up to $900. Obviously, the less it costs, the more convenient it will be for me, but I am willing to spend up to $900.

I am basically looking for a good, crunchy distortion, similar to a Dream Theater-like tone. I am not concerned one bit with what the cleans sound like, that's why I own my Fender Deville and my Stratocaster. I have a Jackson Dinky for the heavier stuff. I don't care if the cleans on the amp sound like a cat getting run over by a donkey. I am only concerned with distortion. Also, I am not concerned with any effects, seeing that I have pedals to accomplish that, so obviously, I would also like the amp to respond to effect pedals well. However, built in reverb would be nice. It doesn't really matter too much if it's solid-state or tube, but I guess I would lean more towards getting a tube amp. It doesn't matter too much, though. I'll be playing at a fairly moderate volume. Pretty much just loud enough to be heard over my friends drum set. I would also prefer a combo amp, since they are easier to move around, but I'm open to anything. I'm not really too concerned with "looking" cool, but more like "sounding" cool. I want a nice, crunchy, fuzzy distortion.

I haven't done too much research yet. I heard the Peavey ValveKing is suppose to be awesome, but I don't know. I will obviously try out each amp, but I would like a idea on what I should focus on more so than others. Any suggestions?
1950s Reissue Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Gold Top Les Paul
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Ibanez TS-9
Boss BF-3
Boss DD-6
Wylde Signature Cry Baby
DigiTech Whammy 4
Well british toned amps are known for being 'crunchy' ala-marshall, but Im not sure they will cover dreamtheatre as I havnt heard much of their stuff.
how can you have a crunchy fuzzy distortion? they kinda contradict.

my tiny terror has a really nice crunch, but thats not really the kind of thing you're looking for
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
dream theater use mesa boogie so I think your out of luck on that one but b-52 amps work apsolutely brilliant!
Quote by LaGrange
Shouldnt have said the unspoken words of MG in the pit. Now look at what ya dun.

Quote by Mecler
A guitar made of wood?
That's such a ****ing brilliant idea!
Some kind of mesa. Mark IV I think how much do those go used for?
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
I think I heard Mark IV's being at LEAST $1400, so yeahhhh, I'm kinda out of luck with that >_>

I don't really know how to define crunch + fuzzy. I guess it's like, turning on one of those channels on TV with all the fuzz, but making it a bit more crunchy, but it still flows together, lol. That's the best way I can describe it.
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Ibanez TS-9
Boss BF-3
Boss DD-6
Wylde Signature Cry Baby
DigiTech Whammy 4
Quote by RoboRobot
I think I heard Mark IV's being at LEAST $1400, so yeahhhh, I'm kinda out of luck with that >_>

I don't really know how to define crunch + fuzzy. I guess it's like, turning on one of those channels on TV with all the fuzz, but making it a bit more crunchy, but it still flows together, lol. That's the best way I can describe it.

maybe a roadking then?????? I don't know prices on mesas but I i know that dream theater uses em.
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
roadkings are even more expensive, Mesa Boogie is out of the question for the budget as far as I know

Things that would probably be worth I look I guess are Engl Screamer, Carvin V3, Laney GH/VH, Peavey 6505 maybe

Id reccomend trying them all out seeing which you like if possible
Quote by RoboRobot

Hmm... that's in my amp budget.
Maybe I should just get one of those!
lol

Anyways, I haven't listened to dream theater, but once you say crunchy distortion, I recommend something british voiced.
Not sure which one to recommend though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Jackface20

Things that would probably be worth I look I guess are Engl Screamer, Carvin V3, Laney GH/VH, Peavey 6505 maybe

+1
Gear:
ESP LTD MH-1000 w/ EMGs
Ibanez S470DX w/ Duncan JB & 59'
Schecter C-1+
Peavey 5150 Combo
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD-808
MXR 10 band eq

WTB:
-Delay Pedal, 2 Veteran 30 Speakers, Duncan Blackouts set, Reverb Pedal
Maybe you can get a Mark III in that price range? That'll get you close, or so I've read.
These go to eleven...
Quote by Highwaytohell
Mesa F30!

I don't think that'll have enough gain for him though.....

How about a 5150?
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Mesa DC 5/10 head, or if you don't want to hassle with a cab, get the combo versions. Fits your bill perfectly.
I guess the album tone I'm after is something similar to Train Of Thought.
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Ibanez TS-9
Boss BF-3
Boss DD-6
Wylde Signature Cry Baby
DigiTech Whammy 4
H&K Switchblade.
Fender 60W Super-Sonic Head
Fender 2x12 Cabinet (Vintage 30s)
TC Electronics G Major
Boss Blues Driver BD-2 w/ Keeley mod
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

American Fender Stratocaster
Quote by RoboRobot
I guess the album tone I'm after is something similar to Train Of Thought.

ToT was recorded with a Road King.
5150's/6505's and their mkII/+ variants don't have the most articulate gain, but they're ****ing brutal sounding amps either way.

Laney GH50's, from what I've heard do a nice crunch.

Maybe look for a used Framus Cobra? Dunno how much they go for used in the US, but they're worth looking at.