Page 1 of 2
So I bought this Marshall MG 100DFX Combo Amp. Its alright. Got a hell of a deal on it, $350 at Guitars Etc.

However, I can barely get it to 2 on the volume knob when I play at home. It is mega loud. Is this thing overkill? Im a beginner, that just plays at home.

The only thing Im really interested in playing currently is heavy stuff like Slayer and old Metallica. The OD2 channel on this is decent, but not quite there.

I have a few days to return it if I want. Could I have get something smaller, cheaper, better sounding with more options on it? Or should I stick with this?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Swami
Return it and you can get something MUCH better
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Return it and get something that isn't horrendous.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
maybe you arent allowed to play very loud at home, but i have my 100w valve amps on 3-5.....

take it back - people arent flaming - but for 350bucks, you can get better...
i would say take it back and get something better. maybe a peavey valveking if you can afford it.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
I'd say take it back and ask for compensation from the wages of the guy/girl that sold it to you under the false pretence that it was actually an amplifier, and not just a box that turns a guitar signal into fuzzy, tinny, $h1t.

Take it back, try a Roland Cube 30 or if you want alittle more bang for your buck volume-wise for future use, the Cube 60.
Quote by Swami
Could I have get something smaller, cheaper, better sounding with more options on it? Or should I stick with this?

yeah return it and get something that isn't necessarily smaller, cheaper, or having more options on it, but something that's better sounding.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (with EMG 81/85)
Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier Solo Head Series 2
Marshall Valvestate 8100
Lopo Line 2x12 Slant w/ WGS v30 clones
Boss MT-2
Danelectro Fish and Chips
Interesting. In an odd move, I did basically no research on this item. Doesn't seem very popular! lol

Thanks for the recommendations.

Does anyone else have a specific recommendation based on the fact that I'd like to spend under $500, don't need it to be very very loud, and want basically the Slayer sound?

Thanks so much.
Drennen
Last edited by Swami at Apr 9, 2008,
under 500 is going to be hard to do. You might be able to find a used 5150 for that but dont get your hopes up. Best bet is a Cube 60 or a VK
Peavey Valve king 112 is 420€ and 212 is 500€...but I'm in Europe...
I think in USA it's the same just in dollars. ( -.- you lucky americans)
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Guys, he said for home use. Cube 30.

+1

Or...

*BRACE FOR IMPACT, FLAMESHIELDS UP*

A Line6 Spider III.

Despite what most seem to say on here, my experiences with them have only been good, I don't own one but I have 2 mates that do and was pleasantly surprised with them after hearing tonnes of crap on here. The 'insane' setting truely is insane, and loveable. Very heavy metal. Not always my piece of cake, I am happier snuggled up with my DSL401 in a non-gay way, but nice nonetheless. Especially for beginners who are probably not that tone sensitive yet anyway.

The MG however, I agree, sucks. It's overpriced and it's got a godaweful tone, all fuzzy and sh*t.
Youre not going to need a 100 watt amp for home practice use. The guy at the music store saw you commin a mile away and Im sure he made a tidy commission. You shouldnt need to spend 500 bucks for what you need. As beginner you probably dont need tubes yet. They are nice but not needed at this stage. Go to several stores with your guitar and try different amps until you find the one with the gain you need. Youre better to buy a simpler amp with out modelling and a multi pedal. Then you can figure out what you need and dont need.
Im running 2 100watt heads for home use... LOL

Screw your beliefs i do what i want... \m/ \m/ ROCK AND ROLL!

And to the guy asking the question why does it matter if it says 2 or 10? Sound is sound and its a SS amp so its going to sound the same at any volume until your get past 5 and it sound like total crap... So why do you want something smaller.. Just so you can turn it higher and get the same exact sound.. ITS A NUMBER thats it A NUMBER...

Now a Tube amp i can understand but for SS it doesn't matter..
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Apr 9, 2008,
the only point with the number was that perhaps the money I spent to get a very loud amp could have been spent more wisely. I don't have "number envy" lol.

I went to the store and checked out the Cube 30. I really liked the tone. Its almost twice as much, but there was a line6 there that had a lot of bells and whistles. The metal tone was even better IMO. I especially liked that it included a noise gate and over 300 presets. It can also play endless drum loops for you and do basic recording.

Now I am wondering what I'll think of the Marshall sound when I get home. I'll be returning that guy for sure. Thanks for the help guys.
RETURN IT!!!! and get a t0ob amp. make sure to try out a Peavey valveking
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Screw your beliefs i do what i want... \m/ \m/ ROCK AND ROLL!

i don't think i can handle such a high level of badass-ness..

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by Swami
So I bought this Marshall MG 100DFX Combo Amp. Its alright. Got a hell of a deal on it, $350 at Guitars Etc.

However, I can barely get it to 2 on the volume knob when I play at home. It is mega loud. Is this thing overkill? Im a beginner, that just plays at home.

The only thing Im really interested in playing currently is heavy stuff like Slayer and old Metallica. The OD2 channel on this is decent, but not quite there.

I have a few days to return it if I want. Could I have get something smaller, cheaper, better sounding with more options on it? Or should I stick with this?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Swami

More like a hell of a lot of money wasted.
someone mentioned the Peavey Valve King Royal 8. you can get that off guitarcenter.com for about $200. and it's tube which will have unbelievably better sound than that mg.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Wow, this is a serious outpouring of MG hate! Which I would have known about if I had done my research first. I'm gonna have to try a few things out at the store I guess after I return this guy. Its nice to know I will be able to get something better for the same if not less.
the first time i played a spider was a spider III and i made the mistake of letting UG bias me so negatively against it when in all reality they (at least the III's) are great for home practice amps. they are by no means phenominal, but for what you want they would be a (imho) valid option. i've never played a cube and so cant vouch for its pros and cons or anything, and i own a vox 30vt. for a cheap practice amp that isnt utter crap (or a 5w tube amp that wouldnt be as good for you, again imho). your best options are one of these three (the vox vt series, spider III series or roland cube series). the vox vtx line might also be an option but there was something about it that even though it sounded pretty good for high gain there was a thinnes and lack of that 'feel' that led me to not want to suggest it. the vt series doesnt have enough in the way of high gain for you to really enjoy it even though it's good as well.

bottom line imo, go with a Cube (which i cant vouch either way for) a spider III if you like it, same with the VTX, and if you go to guitar center ask them to set you up in the loud room with a palomino v8 and several overdrive pedals to see if you find a combination that is good for you.

good luck, research, and Test things
Quote by davedoom
maybe you arent allowed to play very loud at home, but i have my 100w valve amps on 3-5.....

take it back - people arent flaming - but for 350bucks, you can get better...

Wow... 3-5 at home? Are you deaf by chance?

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Quote by MakeItWitChu
Wow... 3-5 at home? Are you deaf by chance?

He is probally one of those guys that practice with ear plugs... lol

I watched one of Chimaira's videos and they had there 6505 cranked and was practicing with ear plugs in. Mother of god it looked loud in that tiny practice room...
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Apr 9, 2008,
Quote by IbanezPsycho
He is probally one of those guys that practice with ear plugs... lol

I watched one of Chimaira's videos and they had there 6505 cranked and was practicing with ear plugs in. Mother of god it looked loud in that tiny practice room...

you could literally hear a 6505 cranked 1 mile away (ive tried in a very remote country area
Quote by SteaminGeezer
you could literally hear a 6505 cranked 1 mile away (ive tried in a very remote country area

I believe you i cranked my valveking to 3-4 one time and was crazy how loud it was. Right now i have it setup at 8ohms so i can have a bit more volume control and kill some of the wattage.
Quote by sofubar
+1

Or...

*BRACE FOR IMPACT, FLAMESHIELDS UP*

A Line6 Spider III.

Despite what most seem to say on here, my experiences with them have only been good, I don't own one but I have 2 mates that do and was pleasantly surprised with them after hearing tonnes of crap on here. The 'insane' setting truely is insane, and loveable. Very heavy metal. Not always my piece of cake, I am happier snuggled up with my DSL401 in a non-gay way, but nice nonetheless. Especially for beginners who are probably not that tone sensitive yet anyway.

The MG however, I agree, sucks. It's overpriced and it's got a godaweful tone, all fuzzy and sh*t.

+1
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Most people would say 'DONT GET TEH SPIDER! IT IZ GHEY!' But since your not with a band and your just playing alone a spider would be pretty good for what you want. it also has an insane channel which should have a heavy enough distortion for what you want to play.

So i would say get a line 6 spider.
Quote by the_poison125
Most people would say 'DONT GET TEH SPIDER! IT IZ GHEY!' But since your not with a band and your just playing alone a spider would be pretty good for what you want. it also has an insane channel which should have a heavy enough distortion for what you want to play.

So i would say get a line 6 spider.

well, to each their own i guess.
i still think TS should get the royal 8 and put an o.d. in front of it. with a little bit of tweaking you could get that thing to really roar.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Quote by ortrigger
well, to each their own i guess.
i still think TS should get the royal 8 and put an o.d. in front of it. with a little bit of tweaking you could get that thing to really roar.

i would agree with that, itll sound nice and you won't be playing too loud either.
EDIT: im actually considering buying a vk royal 8 and an od for my bedroom or if i want to jam with friends, theres no way im lugging my 85 lb 5150.

The Peavey triple xxx on ebay is an ok deal, but you wont need 40 tube watts for at home.
ive got a 60 watt 5150 and i can play it at even 1 in my basement because it shakes walls.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by IbanezPsycho
I believe you i cranked my valveking to 3-4 one time and was crazy how loud it was. Right now i have it setup at 8ohms so i can have a bit more volume control and kill some of the wattage.

My friend almost got me banned from a local pub my band were playing for a mate's birthday...

In the 'soundcheck' (if you could even call it that) my mate asked for a go on my new amp...and apparently turning the master volume to 10 on the 'ultra' channel of a Hughes & Kettner 100w Switchblade is too loud for a building of that size... when the floor shook, the landlord came up and screamed at everyone not to go that loud in the gig
Quote by IbanezPsycho

Lol, why not go down to 4 Ohms?
I don't know why I read these threads, as I know what all the answers will be, but I always do. There's always a gem in them somewhere!
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid