Hello, i'll say it quick, (edit: haha that wasn't quick)

I'm in a metal band and we're about to start recording.

I need an Audio interface in order to record Guitar, Bass, Drums, Vocals AND Keyboard for our band.

Had the Boss Micro BR but that was toss XD for sound quality anyway.

I'm not planning on doing direct input for the guitars, we've got a mics for the amps.
We just need a quality Audio interface able to record both clean and high gain without distorted audio, i know how to mix and all that jazz.

My Budget is £200.

Here are two that i am torn between..

Digidesign M-Box Mini http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/71473
(because it was recommended in the home recording column)
OR THE
Edirol UA-25 http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ua-25/67154
(because it's much cheaper)

If you have a different suggestion please tell me!
Hmmm it's really your choice, quality or cost? I'd opt for the Edirol because i've had good experience with them before, but it's your choice.
They are both decent, but I personally would only get the M-Box if you're planning to use Pro Tools.

I'd check out this unit , which is even cheaper and is FireWire, rather than USB. http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/19920/a/r/e/base&sa=X&oi=product_result&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=2&cad=AFmeOtdTyB7orBtDfoUM0cZ_wL11M8hcIIu4k9d7Fb99UDjqSw_xcit7FVH7_hzVQ-WYxGk_cdUU5PYMR86OJHa4wsu-YkyCA2_qKLv_zhR_WJOZcCO2UTfg8oZ3j6sS3YYHFvdQN4f9zBHI2mj49_QAAAAAAAAAAA&usg=AFQjCNHeay6RIt9wwwzr8bB1TWGQDysnHw

In fact, I'd say there's plenty better you can get with £200 than those.
There is poetry in despair.
I agree, there is probably better for the price. I would advise against getting a USB, especially 1.1. I got a USB 2.0 inteface for £65, which will mean no latency. USB and firewire are about the same in terms of letency but firewire can carry more information so it can do more tracks at a time.
Thanks for your replies, i'm still not entirely sure on what to buy.
Does anyone have any expirience with these?

Also, i'm not sure if my laptop has a firewire port on it. Could be wrong though :/ how do i locate it.
Quote by Gunjak
Thanks for your replies, i'm still not entirely sure on what to buy.
Does anyone have any expirience with these?

Also, i'm not sure if my laptop has a firewire port on it. Could be wrong though :/ how do i locate it.

ah, could be a problem there. Well, USB (2.0) is fine if you're only going to be doing one or two tracks at a time.

Oh, and referring to your original post, generally you don't get interfaces specified for certain instruments, their just thier to take whatever the microphone throws at it and turn it into digital wth good sound quality.

Unless you get one of those ones designed for D.I guitar like a toneport.
Ok thanks again! USB2.0 it is then.

Can you recommend one?
Last edited by Gunjak at Apr 9, 2008,
You want to do drums? Don't go USB at all.

Firewire, I would recommend. PCI is still the fastest protocol - yes, faster than firewire - but if you're on a laptop, then PCI isn't really an option.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
^ I agree, but if he doesn't have a Firewire port on his laptop, then he would have to install one.

You will struggle to achieve a decent drum recording with USB, although you might get something workable with just two overheads by all means. As for recommending a USB 2.0 interface, why not try the EMU 0202 OR EMU 0404, you can pick both up for pretty cheap now.
There is poetry in despair.
Well, it's not for sure whether i have firewire on my laptop or not. I'm not sure what the port looks like lol. I've looked on the google and have seen 2 different shaped ports.

There's a small port on my laptop labled 1394, but is that the right port for firewire interfaces?