I've been looking for a nice 5 watt tube amp and I noticed the peavey royal valve king. Can anyone recommend this? Or any other relatively cheap tube amp that actually comes with knobs, besides volume.
Blackheart little giant, though its debatable as to how much those knobs actually do. Or if you want to try your hand at modding, VJ with a tone stack would sound pretty sweet.
The only thing about the little giant is that the combo is 270 bucks. And it's impossible to find them used, at least on ebay, for much less than they sell new.
umm if thats too much then a palomino V8 maybe? though that only has a single tone control. Valve Junior + dano fish and chips would probably work out nicely.
Quote by Kino22x
umm if thats too much then a palomino V8 maybe? though that only has a single tone control. Valve Junior + dano fish and chips would probably work out nicely.

That is a solid recommendation. The thing is most of the 5W tubes don't have a lot of controls on them. (Blackheart excluded).
Quote by Kino22x

+1 and 1

I like the Palomino, the key being the master volume control allowing you to get some preamp gain out of it at lower volumes.

But yeah, in these little amps knobs are way overrated. In fact, the purists (and I'm a card carrying member) will tell you that the more in the circuit just takes away from the overall tone of the amp. The Fish & Chips is a cheap eq that'll do a lot more for you than the tone stack in the Blackheart, anyway.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Will the palomino do metal with a distortion pedal? Somewhat well? Not too heavy metal.
None of them are metal amps, but the Palomino is probably the best of the bunch with it's master volume and larger speaker.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
.... Pignose?
what kind of stuff are you playing?
like classic metal, like say Metallica or Iron Maiden? then yes, with an OD pedal and proper EQ you'll be able to do that, on the Palomino.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Last edited by ugmung at Apr 9, 2008,
Well, the palomino is out. It's going for almost 200 on ebay...which is the same price as a new palomino. It looks like I might just end up getting a valve junior, then an mxr 10 band. The mxr will be a good investment for future amps anyways i guess.

Oops. I guess I should have mentioned I'm looking for mostly versatility. I listen to classic rock and older metal, like iron maiden and some megadeth. But I'm not that much of a metal head.
Last edited by spark29 at Apr 9, 2008,
Quote by slatsmania
+1 and 1

I like the Palomino, the key being the master volume control allowing you to get some preamp gain out of it at lower volumes.

But yeah, in these little amps knobs are way overrated. In fact, the purists (and I'm a card carrying member) will tell you that the more in the circuit just takes away from the overall tone of the amp. The Fish & Chips is a cheap eq that'll do a lot more for you than the tone stack in the Blackheart, anyway.

I wasn't impressed at all with the controls on the blackheart. They barely did anything. Now my MXR 108 on my Vj (or my POD for that matter) different story. More cover tones then I'll find in my lifetime.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD