i got my new Douglas SR-1 from Rondomusic.net last night, and i must say it looks beautiful.

but i've been having some problems with it. its very very difficult to play, is it because its my first V and im not used to it? when "breaking in" a guitar what is usually "broken in" because the frets sound like aluminum when the strings vibrate on them. it doesnt really sound very good, im guessing its the pickups because i've heard some crap about the EMG HZ series. it kind of sounds cheap too, is it because its brand new?

http://www.rondomusic.com/product1733.html
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Quote by ugmung

It's a cheap guitar, it isn't going to sound like an ESP Alexi or whatever
i figured with all that it featured, it would sound nice...
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
As far as I know, no one's ever needed to "break in" a guitar.

At least that's the first I've heard of it.

If you haven't done so yet, take it to a shop to have them do a fairly routine setup on it. It just may not be setup properly, or things might have gone askew during shipping. It also doesn't hurt to have a "professional" give it a good once over. They can point out things of importance on the guitar that may need special attention, and give you information on how to keep it playing well, after they've performed the setup.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Hakael
As far as I know, no one's ever needed to "break in" a guitar.

At least that's the first I've heard of it.

If you haven't done so yet, take it to a shop to have them do a fairly routine setup on it. It just may not be setup properly, or things might have gone askew during shipping. It also doesn't hurt to have a "professional" give it a good once over. They can point out things of importance on the guitar that may need special attention, and give you information on how to keep it playing well, after they've performed the setup.

what does the setup consist of?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by ugmung
what does the setup consist of?

Truss-rod adjustment (if needed)
Fret filing/leveling (if needed)
Neck cleaning/conditioning (depending on type of neck)
Action/string height adjustment
Tuning & intonation
Electronics/hardware test
Pot cleaning (may or may not be included depending on who you go to)
Restringing (new strings may or may not be included in setup)
Polishing

I've been doing setups on my own for a little while now and that's everything that I normally do. Retailers may do more or less depending on who you go to.
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Hakael
Truss-rod adjustment (if needed)
Fret filing/leveling (if needed)
Neck cleaning/conditioning (depending on type of neck)
Action/string height adjustment
Tuning & intonation
Electronics/hardware test
Pot cleaning (may or may not be included depending on who you go to)
Restringing (new strings may or may not be included in setup)
Polishing

I've been doing setups on my own for a little while now and that's everything that I normally do. Retailers may do more or less depending on who you go to.

if i bring it into the shop what do i ask them, "hey can i get a set-up on my new guitar?"
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by ugmung
if i bring it into the shop what do i ask them, "hey can i get a set-up on my new guitar?"

Pretty much. Just tell them you got a new guitar, and you'd like to have someone check it out, and do a setup on it. They should be able to tell you how much it'll be up front before any work's done.

Depending on where you go and what they all include in their setup, could be anywhere from $30-$50.
Unless you don't know how to do it yourself (and truss-rod adjustments can be very damaging to a guitar if it's not done properly), it's definitely worth it in my opinion.

Although not ALL problems can be fixed with a simple setup, I would recommend having it done at least once on a new (or used) guitar purchase, if it hadn't been done already.

A guitar that's not setup properly can, and will have a huge impact on how it feels and plays.
All I can say is that you get what you pay for

Line 6 Spider Valve 212

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
but shouldnt all that stuff be adjusted to my personal likings?
i mean, the guy probably will set it up to how he'll want to play it, and idk.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Perhaps you just got a dud? I just got a Douglas Hawker from Rondo and I am very surprised for how nice it is and plays for the price.
well, it does have a dig on one of the wings, i was thinking about returning it and getting a new one.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by isaac311
All I can say is that you get what you pay for

You're not helping.

TS. That's why you shouldn't be afraid to ask questions. Many places that do setups understand that not everyone plays the same, and if they're not given any input, will do what they feel is best for the "average" player.

Talk to the people that will be doing the setup for you, explain to them what type of music you like to play, if you strum hard or soft, like a low or high action (assumed usually as low as possible without buzz), etc. A lot of times they'll ask you questions, but even if they don't, don't be afraid to ask what their process is, or to tell them how you would LIKE the guitar to play.
Quote by Hakael
You're not helping.

TS. That's why you shouldn't be afraid to ask questions. Many places that do setups understand that not everyone plays the same, and if they're not given any input, will do what they feel is best for the "average" player.

Talk to the people that will be doing the setup for you, explain to them what type of music you like to play, if you strum hard or soft, like a low or high action (assumed usually as low as possible without buzz), etc. A lot of times they'll ask you questions, but even if they don't, don't be afraid to ask what their process is, or to tell them how you would LIKE the guitar to play.

i half tempted to just send it back and getting something the same price, because im really not feeling the whole V thing.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Well, that no one can really help you with. That's entirely up to you.
Hakael]You're not helping

Well it's true. Even if he gets it setup it will never play like a fine instrument because it ISN'T.

TS, if you can, get a refund and save up for a better quality guitar. You won't regret it.

Line 6 Spider Valve 212

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Quote by isaac311
Well it's true. Even if he gets it setup it will never play like a fine instrument because it ISN'T.

TS, if you can, get a refund and save up for a better quality guitar. You won't regret it.

thats what i was thinking.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by isaac311

Have you owned one or played it?

i hope you just got a dud, i was looking forward to ordering one of these soon
Quote by Kensai

It's the pit; nelson mandela could make a thread urging everyone to do an effort towards reducing apartheid politics in some countries and everyone would post a photoshop of him with a melon hat.
Quote by Retardwitguitar

i hope you just got a dud, i was looking forward to ordering one of these soon

lol. idk.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
The strap button location is pretty wack. Must be neck heavy as hell. Anyway, you can't expect a high-quality guitar for that price. Also, EMG HZs suck. So maybe that's the problem.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Kanthras
The strap button location is pretty wack. Must be neck heavy as hell. Anyway, you can't expect a high-quality guitar for that price. Also, EMG HZs suck. So maybe that's the problem.

yeah, the it is neck heavy. i can let go of the neck and it'll just slide down, its annoying.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo