Okay, I'm not building a guitar myslef but...

...I have this project at school where I have to integrate math in music and I'm down to my last chapter: "The guitar and math".

I was searching for information about the fret-placement and I found out that you have to devide the scale length by 17.835 to find the frets, but why 17.835, I'm sure that my mentor is going to ask that question, so please help me on this one!

thx guys
first off you shouldn't be asking this to a bunch on teenagers...
you should find a guitarmaker, or go to a guitar repaire shop and ask those people!
but if i were you i'd make something up... like 17.835 is the standart lenght of a slide, and for this you use chromatic scale picking... stuff that would make no sense to a math teacher!
I assume you do this to find the first fret, and then do the same for the following frets except you subtract the length of the frets you have already found from the scale length

editforsimpleness:
Measure nut-to-bridge to find the first fret, measure from the first fret to the bridge to find the second fret, and so on.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Apr 9, 2008,
Quote by jimmypopali
you should find a guitarmaker, or go to a guitar repaire shop and ask those people!
but if i were you i'd make something up... like 17.835 is the standart lenght of a slide, and for this you use chromatic scale picking... stuff that would make no sense to a math teacher!

I was going to go to a guitarshop in town but i just figured if there was just one guy on this forum that could give me a simple explanation I didn't have to go in town 'cause it's pretty far you know.
By the way, I'm 19, so this work is not just some silly ****, it's got to be right and accurate. Our mentors, here in Belgium (Europe), really go online and search wether things I write are 100% true, so faking is not an option. And I'm way to passionate about my guitar to lie about stuff like that.

Sorry if this sounds like critic. It really isn't. I'm just not that good in English so maybe I use wrong words which make you feel offended, sorry if so.
Thx for the tips!
Last edited by Kriptonite_r at Apr 9, 2008,
Quote by jimmypopali

Your an idiot,

why do you assume that because the pit is full of morons that this section will be? and why do you use the word teenagers in a derogatory sense? Every one here at CB&C are helpful and mature, and alot of the first time builders are teenagers.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
i would assume it's because 17.whatever is the constant required to make the string vibrate at a frequency equivalent to a sound that the human ear will pick up as a note on a musical scale. Tuning brings the string to the required tension at the headstock area to make it so that the strings are equivalent accross diffrent scales, and from there it just happens to fraction itself out that way.

Honestly, I'd just plus in whatever your little magic number is on google, as see if it comes up with an explination for whatever kind of constant it is.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Quote by Absent Mind
Your an idiot,

why do you assume that because the pit is full of morons that this section will be? and why do you use the word teenagers in a derogatory sense? Every one here at CB&C are helpful and mature, and alot of the first time builders are teenagers.

Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

For serious dude, stop thinking that we are just a buncha "retarded teenagers". I mean, sure im only 19, but i know my way around a guitar, enough to save my life at least.
17.835 is a constant, like pie. They use this number because they want to get the 12th fret to be at exactly the half-way point between the nut and bridge (making the same note).

With a little physics and mathematics, they determined that by using 17.835 as a constant, they could use that to determine the placement of the frets in conjunction to the 12 fret, keeping in mind that the 12th fret should produce the same note as the open string.

That site ^, as a lot of good insight. Take a lookie.
have u checked out hte formula of the fretboard calculator? i think that might help alot
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff