Hey guys, Ive never owned an electric before, but was looking to get one soon. I wanted to get some input as far as strings (brands, gauge), cables, and amps/effects go.

I'm looking at either an epi lp custom or standard, (haven't decided yet) and either a vox ad30vt or a 5W all tube (Blackheart BH5-112 ). I like classic rock, that's what I play and what I love (Zeppelin, Clapton, Eagles).

If I go with an all-tube amp, what are some decent effects/overdrive that I could get?

I have around 800 dollars to spend on the whole thing, and it's looking like I'm spending at least $550 on the guitar.

Also, should I expect to pay to have the guitar set up or would you expect it to be complimentary? (Probably buying from guitar center, never dealt with them before)

Thanks
Welcome
I think a good strign gauge to start with would be .09 or .10. For brands looks for D'addario, GHS, Ernie Ball etc.
I think you should go with a Vox AD30VT for your first amp personally, the tone is decent and you can experiment with all the effects.
Most big stores will set-up a guitar for you.
Quote by pak1351
Hey guys, Ive never owned an electric before, but was looking to get one soon. I wanted to get some input as far as strings (brands, gauge), cables, and amps/effects go.

I'm looking at either an epi lp custom or standard, (haven't decided yet) and either a vox ad30vt or a 5W all tube (Blackheart BH5-112 ). I like classic rock, that's what I play and what I love (Zeppelin, Clapton, Eagles).

If I go with an all-tube amp, what are some decent effects/overdrive that I could get?

I have around 800 dollars to spend on the whole thing, and it's looking like I'm spending at least $550 on the guitar.

Also, should I expect to pay to have the guitar set up or would you expect it to be complimentary? (Probably buying from guitar center, never dealt with them before)

Thanks

the Epi custom is a great guitar.

for classic rock the blackheart is AMAZING. get it. don't talk just get it.

then for a good overdrive try out a bad monkey

thats pretty much all you need.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
as far as strings go, go with the DR Pure Blues, they last forever and they are so easy to play. For an overdrive pedal, try to find a used Tubescreamer, they are by far the best there is for overdrive.
Don't forget some of the online stores lots of times you can get blemished stuff for a lot cheaper.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Solid advice here, but I should add that you shouldn't be afraid to go used. You can save yourself a lot of money and in most cases people who get screwed aren't being careful. Also, since you have a Guitar Center near you, try everything out before you buy it.
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...