I've read all the threads for floyd rose stuff but no one is answering my question so I'll ask it.

I'm about to buy a Jackson DKMG Dinky with a floyd rose licensed tremolo.
I play in drop d most of the time but occasionally, i play in E and C.
Could I play in different tunings without doing really difficult things or should i just get a fixed bridge?

And what exactly is a floating bridge? what are they for? how are they different from a fixed bridge?
Quote by Justin Credible
You can just get it blocked. That makes it basically a fixed bridge.

+1. Put a piece of wood and it makes it non floating. Easy to change tunings, but you can still dive. You could also try a Tremol-No or Trem Setter.
A floating bridge is held in place by the tension of the strings, unlike a fixed bridge which can't move.
Call me Batman.
It is pointless buying a guitar with a trem if you going to use two very varied tunings, first off your string tension will all be screwed up, yes there are ways to enable the floyd to handle it but the more logical step is to either use a guitar in that tuning permanently or have a look at hardtail models.
In my opinion, if you're going to be changing your tunings a lot, I would avoid a tremolo altogether. That's why I keep my Jackson in standard tuning and my Yamaha RGX in drop D.
Check out a product called Tremel-No they got a site online and a good video showing the 3 different options you can have when you install it.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
a floating tremolo is one in which you can lower, and raise the pitch of the strings by pressing down and pulling up on the tremolo arm. a standard stratocaster has a typical non-floating tremolo. guitars with floyd rose style tremolos are typically floating. the tremolo bridge unit has a recessed cavity underneath, so that the only contact points are the 2 pivot posts.