What is the difference between a momentary and latching foot switch? Is it in the mechanical part (IE the pedal, which is what I assume) or the electronics (the switches) I have a momentary switch I was thinking of converting to latching, but wasn't sure if it was feasible.
A latching switch stays down when pressed and a momentary switch doesn't. Digitech and Boss, etc. pedals use a switching system involving 2 transistors flip-flopping, which activates/deactivates the circuit. They use momentary switches to flip-flop the trannies as the current only needs to flow through them for a split second. That's why, depending on what the footswitch is gonna be used for, you can't convert it (actually you can, but you'd have to press it about 2-3 times).

I can't really explain it as clearly as I thought...
Quote by Invader Jim
A latching switch stays down when pressed and a momentary switch doesn't. Digitech and Boss, etc. pedals use a switching system involving 2 transistors flip-flopping, which activates/deactivates the circuit. They use momentary switches to flip-flop the trannies as the current only needs to flow through them for a split second. That's why, depending on what the footswitch is gonna be used for, you can't convert it (actually you can, but you'd have to press it about 2-3 times).

I can't really explain it as clearly as I thought...

Well, you're pretty much there. The other (much easier I must say) way of doing it is with a relay. Something like this -
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."