My line 6 spider II is giving me trouble again... When played loudly (about 11 o'clock) or when left on it begins to make a sucking/popping sound and loses volume, this had happened before and the guy saudered some joints up and it was good to go, now its starting to do it again and the service guy says he cant find anything wrong... Whats my problem here?
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Dunlop Wah
Dano EQ
Sounds like some kind of heat related issue. Possibly causing something to expand and cause a short. I would say unless you are attached to it, just sell ti as-is and get a new amp. With digital amps, they are expensive and pretty much pointless to fix.
Attached to it, haha

EDIT: But seriously, i dont really have the money to get anything better, so what is the exact culprit here?
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Dunlop Wah
Dano EQ
Last edited by by_guitar11 at Apr 9, 2008,
Its apparently a common problems for spiders. When turned up or played for a while the heat builds up. PC boards and IC chips dont like heat. Its one way to save money when building an amp is cheaper parts and less heat protection. And with SS you can make your self crazy trying to find the one little bad connection. It will only show itself when the amp is hot. Maybe aim a fan at the back of it when using it to see if it will keep it cooler during use. Other than that your just out of luck.
Quote by Tackleberry
Its apparently a common problems for spiders. When turned up or played for a while the heat builds up. PC boards and IC chips dont like heat. Its one way to save money when building an amp is cheaper parts and less heat protection. And with SS you can make your self crazy trying to find the one little bad connection. It will only show itself when the amp is hot. Maybe aim a fan at the back of it when using it to see if it will keep it cooler during use. Other than that your just out of luck.

Is there any way to install like a computer fan and run it off of the plug in?
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Dunlop Wah
Dano EQ
Yes there is. Search around and see if you can find the thread. It's not terribly hard, you just need to know how to solder.
I was thinking more along the line of just a box fan or similar aimed into the back of the amp.
Quote by Tackleberry
I was thinking more along the line of just a box fan or similar aimed into the back of the amp.

Yeah, i know, im just really picky about my gear, lol, if i could mount one in the amp it would be much better than taking an amp and fan to jamming.
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Dunlop Wah
Dano EQ
Quote by by_guitar11
Yeah, i know, im just really picky about my gear, lol, if i could mount one in the amp it would be much better than taking an amp and fan to jamming.

Ah, but see a silver lining man.... position the fan half at the amp, and half at you. Summer's right around the bend, and it's going to get hot. So it will keep you and your amp nice and chill.
Quote by WickedBeast666
Ah, but see a silver lining man.... position the fan half at the amp, and half at you. Summer's right around the bend, and it's going to get hot. So it will keep you and your amp nice and chill.

Thats that the cooler of beer is for
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Dunlop Wah
Dano EQ
Okay, i just got it back from the guitar shop, he said he could find nothing wrong, within about 10 mins of playing, POP and loss of volume *sigh* So, on the fan idea again, what would you guys reccomend? I took a pic, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Dunlop Wah
Dano EQ
Walmart sells those little box fans, 8inch I think. Or what ever the size is but a small one. Use some wire ties to mount it so it points at the amp housing. See if it helps. But usually when you get a heat related PC board problem theres not much that can be done to fix it. Look at all the problems Xbox 360s have had. Ive seen some pretty small muffin fans you might be able to jury rig to the housing but the really small ones are usually 12v. You could try radio shack and see what they have thats 120v.
Will that be enough to prevent it from overheating? Should i point the air to it? Or have it so the air is getting pushed away from it?
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Dunlop Wah
Dano EQ
Will it be enough I couldnt tell you. Maybe. I would try pointing it at an angle into the back of the cab and see what happens. Not full blast but to get some air changing near the cooling fins it has. All you can do is try it. Surely you have some sort of fan around the house you could try.
Man, lol, i dont even know, im prob gonna get something new this summer, i would love a half-stack lol
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Dunlop Wah
Dano EQ
Alright, i picked up a fan today, where should it go inside? Is there any way i can splice it into the amp's power supply? (12v fan) If not, what size battery do i need?

Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Dunlop Wah
Dano EQ
12V DC =/= 110V AC

Unless there is a low voltage DC line in the amp, its not going to work
So find a 12v battery, and mount the fan somewhere near the board with all of your ICs (presuming that they are the problem). Maybe you could try mounting some small heatsinks using thermally conductive adhesive too.

All this work is hardly worth it. I would just go out and get a new ASAp instead of dealing with the problems of a failing and inexpensive solid state.
Quote by Axecutioner
12V DC =/= 110V AC

Unless there is a low voltage DC line in the amp, its not going to work
So find a 12v battery, and mount the fan somewhere near the board with all of your ICs (presuming that they are the problem). Maybe you could try mounting some small heatsinks using thermally conductive adhesive too.

All this work is hardly worth it. I would just go out and get a new ASAp instead of dealing with the problems of a failing and inexpensive solid state.

This summer man, i dont know what im gonna get, but its gonna be loud. So this is basically a temporary fix until i get a new one.
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Dunlop Wah
Dano EQ
The boards in the amp probably wont run off 110 ac. Most stuff like this doesnt. But finding a 12v to "splice" into not so easy. The fan you have is out of a computer and computers usually have spare power leads laying around inside. Guitar amps dont. You might try a 110 fan from radio shack and use an extension cord to run it.
Quote by forsaknazrael
This is probably a wiser investment...

Though you don't really need a halfstack, if you go tube. Way louder.

Yeah, but half stacks are just awesome, lol. For this fan, what size battery will work?
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Dunlop Wah
Dano EQ
^only good (tube) head+cab ive seen in that price range is the peavey windsor which doesnt even have a gain knob, but is a good blues/clean rock amp with a little overdrive...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
^yeah..the combo is actually better than the head.. and that combo is my next amp! i guess $400 for a 20w combo and $400 for a 120w head is totally different....
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by forsaknazrael
Yeah, but at a lower pricepoint, (IE less than 600-700 bucks budget total for head + cab) you're going to be getting a ****ty setup. Trust me.

If i was going the half-stack route, id look used 5150 and either a mesa or avatar cab, about $1000 if i can find a dece deal on the head.
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Dunlop Wah
Dano EQ
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
^yeah..the combo is actually better than the head.. and that combo is my next amp! i guess $400 for a 20w combo and $400 for a 120w head is totally different....

Well, the combo is 15 watts, unless you use a KT88...And it's a totally different kind of design.

Have you tried it? By word of mouth, I had heard it was horrible. Haven't seen it in stores yet, myself.

Quote by by_guitar11
If i was going the half-stack route, id look used 5150 and either a mesa or avatar cab, about $1000 if i can find a dece deal on the head.

Well, a used 5150 combo would only be about 500-600 bucks. Much cheaper. Doesn't sound any different, really. Easier to fit into the back of your car.

But since you're spending a bit more, the lower pricepoint thing I said doesn't really apply, amiright?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, the combo is 15 watts, unless you use a KT88...And it's a totally different kind of design.

Have you tried it? By word of mouth, I had heard it was horrible. Haven't seen it in stores yet, myself.

Well, a used 5150 combo would only be about 500-600 bucks. Much cheaper. Doesn't sound any different, really. Easier to fit into the back of your car.

But since you're spending a bit more, the lower pricepoint thing I said doesn't really apply, amiright?

Yeah, i guess. lol. But back on topic, haha, I put it back together, and almost instantly when turning it on, it was popping, so i taped my handheld Saskatchewan Roughrider fan right in front of the little opening to the left. It works fine so far. I just played through Motion Sickness Love with it. Now i'm thinking i can just mount a fan there. What kind do i need? Pref to hook it up to the amps power supply.
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Dunlop Wah
Dano EQ
haha, i did that but it was the wrong one (12v)
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Dunlop Wah
Dano EQ
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, they have ones that hook up to an outlet, don't they? That's the easiest and least-harmful-to-your-amp method.

Yeah. I just dont know what i'm gonna do when i try and sell it. Haha.
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Dunlop Wah
Dano EQ
Quote by forsaknazrael

talk about a major bump, but...

its technically 15-20w (built in attunater) and i have tried it, maybe i just got lucky...
it seemed like a really nice amp, but now im startin to have my doubts
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
o ok i get it- well i only need somthin for really small gigs and practice anyway, but the 2W ss micro cube just dont cut it anymore..
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking