anyone going this year? if so, where and what course you applying for?

i've put down sheffield uni as my first and only choice for landscape architecture with planning.

they only concern i have is with regards to money - how can i afford it?! i mean, i get £1400 maintenace grant which i don't have to pay back because of me parents income, and £2300 as a loan. Total = £3700. my first choice accomodation is £4100 meaning i am already 400 quid in debt!

obviously i will get a job pretty much straight away, but i at least thought they covered you enough to live?!

EDIT: yeah, i reckon this is top of the range accomodation to be honest. new and pretty much in the city centre. i think it's worth that extra bit, for the first year at least

EDIT: also, how is everyone else thinking of supporting themselves? how much grant etc. do you get? you getting a job? are your parents contributing?

i don't reckon my mum and dad can really afford to give me much if i'm honest, seeing as i have 2 extra siblings and they don't earn excessive amounts of money
Last edited by fender_696 at Apr 9, 2008,
I'm hoping to do software development at Bolton. As for affording it, I thought you could get a student loan covering the costs of tuition fees and accomodation?
£4100 is crazy expensive. My halls (in London) are about £3,000 for the year including Easter and Christmas hols. That's self catered.
I'm at sheffield hallam (second year), studying computer science. The course structure is pretty poor to be honest, some of the lecturers are OK, others are absolutely terrible.
Quote by Necrophagist777

I agree, i always help people up. At the last show we all protected this little kid who was tying his shoe in the middle of the pit.

http://www.mylot.com/?ref=Phase3
Coming up for first year exams and ****ting myself...
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
ive applied for PPE at UEA, when i visited it was the most pleasant looking campus ive seen, and is supposed to have one of britains best university places to see gigs
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Your accomadation seems expensive in comparison to mine, are you self catred?
Im coming up to the end of my first year, im am Leeds uni doing maths. Its been an awesome year!
im off to manchester to do music + new media management. my course fees are only £2000 and i get an apple mac and a trip to SXSW

i win
Economics at Durham University
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Quote by Meatball200
Hows Sheffield as a city?

voted one of the safest in the city. seeing as its 4th biggest (i think?) that's pretty good

i really like sheffield as city - got a good vibe. also got that off newcastle, but it doesn't have the course i'm after
Portsmouth or Southampton to do Politics or Politics and International Relations. Staying at home to save money ftw!
[Edit] And if your first choice of halls is too expensive, choose somewhere cheaper.
Quote by Alter-Bridge
If I had sex as much as you said the word "shit" I would be paris hilton.

Quote by rworsl
I have never felt closer to either cheese or weasels

Quote by Vermintide

DURN THING DUN GONE MESS UP AGIYAN. MARGE, FETCH ME MAH BOOMSTIYAK
That accomdation is seriously expensive, I'm in london and i was only paying £85 a week in halls, I'da thort sheffield was much less
Moving into a real flat second year is painful, london is super expensive, £500 a month i'm paying!
Saturday job gets me thru (and keeps me in a steady supply of guitars and effects )
Warwick for Maths with Physics, I'm not getting any kind of grant or help at all, so how much debt do you think i'll be in? The answer is Student Loan; what did you think they just make you go into credit debt?
And obviously getting a job will help.
United as One, Divided by Zero
Birmingham for geology.

TS you're forgetting the £3150 or so tuition fee's which you need to pay for btw

My accomodation is looking at about £4500ish maybe. Going for self catered en suite.

Getting full maintanance grant (4k?), will take out the 3k loan, and then ill get a £800 or £2000 grant from birmingham depending on if i get AAB or not.
Bristol for Engineering Maths (come on ABB!) MY parents are paying for my food, toilettries and accomodation. But I'm paying for going out and stuff, and I'm taking on the loan for tuition fees once I'm out working obviously/
Quote by LinkManDX
That's it, everybody go home, thread won by [sam].
I was gonna put Sheffield as my second choice...but then I saw some guy get carjacked when I went there on wednesday

It was scary and now I don't want to go!
Some people wait a lifetime, some simply accept...

...Some of us crash land, some of us eject...

...Some restore the blood flow, some just let it go and bleed...

...Some of us obsess, some move on to something new
Quote by whatamidoinhere
I was gonna put Sheffield as my second choice...but then I saw some guy get carjacked when I went there on wednesday

It was scary and now I don't want to go!

come on mate! it's a big city; what do you expect? every city has its crime!
Quote by fender_696
come on mate! it's a big city; what do you expect? every city has its crime!

Haha, I know...but we were stuck in traffic and it really scared the crap out of me! I do think it's a pretty nice city, just horrible to get anywhere by car

I prefer UEA anyway, so that's my first choice
Some people wait a lifetime, some simply accept...

...Some of us crash land, some of us eject...

...Some restore the blood flow, some just let it go and bleed...

...Some of us obsess, some move on to something new
I've got an unconditional offer for English Lit at Glasgow, starts september 1st
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
U guys are basically listing the places all my mates went to uni, warwick is the nicest campus i've been to
Hearing you talk reminds me of what it was like when i was about to start . Its almost over for me now, currently on UG to avoid doing my games programming coursework for final year.
Seriously, you have no idea how many good times you're in for in your first year! Then it gets tough...