Hi,everyone.Ive been playing for 3 months and because i dont know
other guitar players i thought i could ask here.Is 16 notes at 80 bpm a good speed for the period of time ive been playing?I practice about an hour a day if that helps.
PS:i didnt rlly know where to post this.
yeah that sounds like you're off to a good start, just make sure you always alternate your picking (up down up down) if you get that in your head right off the bat you'll advance quickly! Keep up the good work!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Hi,Breyd.Ive been playing for 7 years and because i do know
other guitar players i thought i could reply here. 16 notes at 80 bpm is not good speed for the period of time youve been playing. I practice about 8 hours (blatent lies btw) a day if that helps.
PS:i did rlly know where to post this.
If the notes are clean, 80bpm is very good for 3 months IMO.

Don't listen to Preid, he's an asshole.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Quote by Preid
Hi,Breyd.Ive been playing for 7 years and because i do know
other guitar players i thought i could reply here. 16 notes at 80 bpm is not good speed for the period of time youve been playing. I practice about 8 hours (blatent lies btw) a day if that helps.
PS:i did rlly know where to post this.

I did not understand your post, please clarify or GTFO MY INTERNETZ!
Quote by Jonjy2
Haha! You are awesome Bucketbotman!! Lolz!!

+100

I CAN PUT MY FOOT BEHIND MY HEAD!

Gear
Ibanez RG370DX special edition!
Tanglewood Oddessy Acoustic
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960's A slant cab
Fender 40W amp
Dunlop Crybaby
I've played for...4-5 years and I can honestly say I have no idea. I've never measured how fast I can play, or really used a metronome at all in that time. I used to be obsessed with playing fast, doing scales and all that crap, and then I tried playing some of David Gilmour's solos...I can play fairly quickly, especially in terms of scale runs, but for the life of me I can't play the slowest solos in the world. I'm starting to get some semblence of feeling in my playing but I'll tell ya, don't try and gauge your progress by bpm, you'll never get anywhere that way. Most of the best music is played at painfully slow speeds. Sure, stuff like Eruption sounds impressive, but how often do you just sit back and listen to that for hours? I could listen to Comfortably Numb or Moonlight Sonata for hours without breaks (the latter of which I've had on repeat since I woke up 5 hours ago). After one run through Eruption I've had enough...to be honest, I think Van Halen's music, as a band, sucks for the most part. Now that's just an opinion, but while I appreciate the ridiculous skills all these guys have, I would gladly trade them for the steady hand of a David Gilmour or a Brian May. Just listen to yourself play, if you like what you hear then you're doing fine.
I can tell you're a novice guitar player simply from the question.

Using 'Notes Per Second' as as a measure of skill for a guitar player is like rating a footballer on how well he can make beans on toast.

Well, maybe not that extreme, but it's really not relevant.

Quote by bucketbot
I did not understand your post, please clarify or GTFO MY INTERNETZ!

It's called sarcasm.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Last edited by Smokey Amp at Apr 9, 2008,
Thx for the replies,i just wanted to measure my speed thats all,i never said that
speed makes the best guitar player or anything,just that the type of music i like
is like that.And even thought i dont rlly like VH i respect him as a guitar player.
Quote by Smokey Amp
I can tell you're a novice guitar player simply from the question.

Using 'Notes Per Second' as as a measure of skill for a guitar player is like rating a footballer on how well he can make beans on toast.

Well, maybe not that extreme, but it's really not relevant.

It's called sarcasm.

I'm siggiging that!
ive been playing for four months and i can do 210bpm pritty easily, i cant find a metronome that'l go faster so i wouldnt know my limit.

is this downstrokes, or are you alternate picking?
Quote by DieGarbageMan
ive been playing for four months and i can do 210bpm pritty easily, i cant find a metronome that'l go faster so i wouldnt know my limit.

FLStudio. It can go to 999bpm....
Quote by Breyd
Hi,everyone.Ive been playing for 3 months and because i dont know
other guitar players i thought i could ask here.Is 16 notes at 80 bpm a good speed for the period of time ive been playing?I practice about an hour a day if that helps.
PS:i didnt rlly know where to post this.

sut up asking for praise
"
How do you measure bpm anyway? set a stop watch and see how many notes you can hit in like a 20 second block and times it by 3?

But whats that anyway, like 1 note every 0.8(something) seconds right. I guess its a start. For solo purposes i can get about 7/8 notes a second on either the high E, B or G strings. Going up and down the strings on like a scale i can do about 3 notes per second without making a mistake. If i push it faster than that i tend to stuff up. Ive been playing since 3 months b4 i joined here, so that makes it almost 4 years now. Wow....Is that it....Hmmmm

Good luck
Quote by mattvl
Listen to this guy, he's australian. If there are any people out there who know how to handle women it's australians.
I do alternate picking at 80 bpm,i just started practising with a metronome though.
16 notes is 4 notes per click right?
Just constantly challenge yourself.

Playing is no different than sports. Actually, it is a sport. Working out hurts. Running 15 miles in the rain sucks.

To be a good runner or a strong athlete you have to go to the gym and experience discomfort to be any good. That's just the way it is.

If you are comfortable, find something challenging that makes you uncomfortable. Then play it until you are comfortable.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

You'll be a fine player in no time.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by DieGarbageMan

if you mean 16 notes,then OMG.
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
Just constantly challenge yourself.

Playing is no different than sports. Actually, it is a sport. Working out hurts. Running 15 miles in the rain sucks.

To be a good runner or a strong athlete you have to go to the gym and experience discomfort to be any good. That's just the way it is.

If you are comfortable, find something challenging that makes you uncomfortable. Then play it until you are comfortable.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

You'll be a fine player in no time.

but you should also try to have fun,right?