Alright, I just noticed something strange that I have never noticed before on my guitar. Does this happen to anyone else?

While practicing, I had my TV turned on and when I went to change the channel my amp made this keyboard-sounding tone. I tried again and whenever my remote sends a signal to the TV my amp picks it up. Now, the remote was near my guitar's pick-ups so I assume that what was picking up the signal, but pick-ups can pick up an infared signal? Seriously?

Anyone else have this happen? What else have you had your pick-ups pick up?

Let me know
Quote by RatmN'Roses
its not your pickups, its your amp.

No its not, its his pickups.

An infrared signal is effectively light that you cannot see, and light itself is nothing more than the visible portion of the electromagnetic spectrum . Pickups work on electromagnetic induction, so when anything interferes with the magnetic field of the pickup, be it a magnetic object like the string or an electromagnetic, you get some kind of interference that maifests itself as a sound.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Hahaha, yeah. I think it happens to everybody. Whenever somebody turns on the vacuum I know immediately because the sound comes softly through my amp - so I suppose that is similar.
I've actually done this intentionally to get some freaky sounds from my guitar, it happens naturally, don't worry about it.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Never happened to me, but once I picked up a radio signal...pretty weird.
Quote by steven seagull
No its not, its his pickups.

An infrared signal is effectively light that you cannot see, and light itself is nothing more than the visible portion of the electromagnetic spectrum . Pickups work on electromagnetic induction, so when anything interferes with the magnetic field of the pickup, be it a magnetic object like the string or an electromagnetic, you get some kind of interference that maifests itself as a sound.

+1

Just point your tv remote at your pickups and press different buttons, you'll end up getting different sounds coming out. Kinda fun actually
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
I like to hold my electric razor up to my pups and mess with my wah. Good old noise rock fun.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Same thing happens to me when I move it close to my camera.
On the eight day we spoke back...

let there be sound.
When I open my wah sometimes, i pick up a really crackly german (I think) radio transmission. I wish it was consistently available when I wanted it actually, could make for some really cool ambient rock stuff.
Quote by Mazzakazza
When I open my wah sometimes, i pick up a really crackly german (I think) radio transmission. I wish it was consistently available when I wanted it actually, could make for some really cool ambient rock stuff.

Now that's awesome. I have confirmed that my tv remote and my electric toothbrush mess with the pick-ups. I was hoping my 'guitar hero' guitar would work, but so far no luck.

Getting an actual signal - especially something as random as a german radio signal - would be awesome. I have my recording equipment nearby, and I would definitely just plug in and start recording if I could grab that.

I'll play around with my wah and see what happens.