Hey everyone.

I'm currently in the process of planning a bass guitar build, and I was hoping for a little help regarding necks.

Now, I'm pretty sure I don't want to build the neck myself. I feel there's far too great a chance of me royally cocking it up.

So, I'd like to ask what are the quality of Carvin necks? I was looking at the NT4, (Neck Thru, 24fret, Maple with Ebony fingerboard). This would be around £200 shipped to this country.

If they aren't of a good quality, are there any members of this forum who could do me a neck of similar stats, and if so, could they give me a rough figure of how much this will cost?

Thank you for any responses .
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
some of the carvin basses are really nice so i assume its good
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
Dude, go for it. i have been to one of their stores, and messed around with all their stuff. the necks feel very natural and are fairly thin. Carvin stuff is the bomb and i would definitly recommend getting it.
Quote by RawrDemon
"Side effects may include... INVOLUNTARY ANAL DISCHARGE."

Scitzo of the bass militia, PM Nutter_101 to join.
Quote by Nutter_101
Hey everyone.

I'm currently in the process of planning a bass guitar build, and I was hoping for a little help regarding necks.

Now, I'm pretty sure I don't want to build the neck myself. I feel there's far too great a chance of me royally cocking it up.

So, I'd like to ask what are the quality of Carvin necks? I was looking at the NT4, (Neck Thru, 24fret, Maple with Ebony fingerboard). This would be around £200 shipped to this country.

If they aren't of a good quality, are there any members of this forum who could do me a neck of similar stats, and if so, could they give me a rough figure of how much this will cost?

Thank you for any responses .

Hey man, I don't wanna question your ability but I feel that if you can build a body you can build a neck. It just takes time, patience, a LOT of measuring and even more glue lol. If you plan on only building one guitar then carvin and warmoth offer great products. if you plan on building a few and dont mind the initial investment (which is substantial because you need a LOT of tools) then making the neck will allow you to customize them to your liking. I'm a DIY kinda guy and was going to opt for a pre-made neck but this little voice kept telling me that I should build mine... after I got over sticker shock from buying the nut making tools and fretting equipment (and making some DIY tools, of course ) and started building the neck I realized it wasn't all that difficult.

I'm not saying i'd dive right into complex inlay or binding work but for a simple neck it's not bad. Buy a pre-slotted/radiused fingerboard and those little .020 alignment drills/pins from stewmac, toss in some dot inalys, grab a rasp and spokeshave and have a blast! you never know what you're capable of until you actually do it
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Okay, now this is a question for any pickup makers in here.

I know that a guitar humbucker consists of bar magnets at the bottom and all that. However, I'm making bass humbuckers (Based on pickups used in Wal basses btw), and as far as I can see, they use magnetic poles.

Is there a reason why this isn't done on guitars? Or is it purely a cost thing?
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

^ I dont entirely understand the question, but I think its just too different ways of making a humbucker.

and BTW I recommend you try and build the neck, like some one said just take your time. The actual construction is no harder you just need to ensure your measurements are correct.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
making the neck is many hours of enjoyment but it could be a potential catastrophe. I had a buddy of mine make a radius block for me in his machine shop. I told him 4 times i wanted a 12" radius and he cut a 12" diameter (6" radius). I caught it after I had final sanded and inlayed the board.

I made a fret wire bender (google home depot fret bender for the instructions) and it just so happened that the first fret wire coil I made with my bender was a perfect 12" diameter circle the fret wire sat perfectly on the radius of my board so I grabbed my Ibanez and that's when I caught the mistake... needless to say I wasn't happy about having to take more 40 grit to my nice and freshly 0000 wirewooled fretboard... especially considering I had already blown through 10 mother of pearl dot inlays. I've since decided on trapezoids, though, and the mistake only required taking the center of the board down so it's not paper thin... its actually right up to snuff with the thickness of my ibanez S series fretboard... sure beats having to build a whole new one...

but yea... if you decide to build one, it's costly up front but it's worth it. You dont even really need to buy a radius block you can radius the top of the board just fine with a flat board and a lot of patience. I used the fret bender to make a wire coil with a 12" radius and just used that as a gauge.

If you plan on only making one neck I'd suggest a pre-slotted nut and a preslotted and radiused fingerboard... it'll save you a lot of money in hand tools, files, saws etc. You can even buy them preinlayed so you wont have to sand the board or deepen the fret slots.

PM me if you need any tips... I've only made one neck so far but it looks pretty solid

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
I just skimmed through, picking up little insights people had. One this is for sure, if you can build a body that DOESNT mean you can build a neck. More technique is required and finer tools are needed. Having said that...

I used a Carvin neck on my bass build; they ****ing rock.

Here's the thread i started for it. PM me any questions you may have and i would be happy to help.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=695167&highlight=Bass

P.S. Infact....PM me when you get this, i have a proposition for you.
what fun is buying one? build the darn thing! I made my first neck out of lowe's 2 dollar .75 x 3 x 24 poplar. non functional for sure but it gave me a lot of insight

Quote by dogismycopilot
P.S. Infact....PM me when you get this, i have a proposition for you.

Sorry I didn't reply, I never looked at this thread after a while

Alright, thought I'd update this as I'm getting close to actually building it.

Here are the specs:

Body: Ovangkol
Neck: Maple/Purpleheart/Maple with Ebony Fretboard (NeckThru)
Pickups: 2 custom made humbuckers (making them myself)
Frets: 24
EQ: 3 Band EQ (may do 4 Band if can find one).

I'm putting all of this together in Scotland over the next few weeks, I'll post pics as I go.

And yes, I'm now building the neck myself.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Sorry for the double post, but I have a question that I was hoping someone could answer.

Now, I know that the neck will probably need an angle to it to ensure that it's playable, but I'm having difficulty working out what size of an angle this needs to be.

Also, I found a bass bridge that claims it will work without the neck needing an angle. Is this possible? http://www.daviddyke.co.uk/ The schaller bass bridges in here.

Cheers!
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

a lot of necks require little or no neck angle. a tune-o-matic bridge needs either a neck angle or a recessed bridge pocket because it's so high. a lot of other bridges are pretty straightforward though.

You will only need a neck angle if your using a TOM bridge. Anything other than that you won't need one. Come to think of it... I've actually never played a bass with a neck angle:P
Okay then, here's some pics, as this forum seems to live off them

Neck

Body Wings

Put them together to get...

In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Thought I would post an update since Humanity and others from the bass forum are getting threads up.

Here's where I am roughly at the moment:

Need to shape the neck a bit more, and other stuff I'm sure you can see from this photo.

Oh, and I bet you're wondering what pickups are going into this...

Well, I made them myself:

Kinda stolen from Electric Wood's Wal basses, but meh.

Hopefully going to be finishing this off in the next few weeks!
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

one day, nutter, blando and I will unite into the most amazing bass company ever!!!!

MWAHAHA!!!!!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
will we? works. but how bout design guitars and color schemes, you do basses. and i'll cover electronics. hey, need a preamp for that bass?

edit: nvrmd, probably wouldn't be worth it to ship to Britain even if you were interested.
Last edited by blandguitar at May 1, 2009,
Quote by blandguitar
will we? works. but how bout design guitars and color schemes, you do basses. and i'll cover electronics. hey, need a preamp for that bass?

edit: nvrmd, probably wouldn't be worth it to ship o Britain even if you were interested.

he'll make you do some crazy ass filter based preamp. it's a sexy preamp, but no doubt tough. and he's in Britain.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Got a preamp already sorted. And I'm gonna try out notch filter based ones in the future, which will be fun!

And true, I'm in Britain.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by blandguitar
hey not wire the 8 poles in 2 coils?

That is two coils. Two sets of four.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Updates...

Neck is pretty much done, just getting the fretboard ready for fretting at the moment.

How does this look?

Bear in mind, that's been oiled and rubbed with 0000 steel wool.

Would you say that's ready for fretting now?
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

^I probably would do this. If you're going to do it, may as well do it right. A perfectly smooth fretboard would set off this build that much more.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Hmmmm, 2000 grit is surprisingly difficult to get down here...

You've convinced me though. I'll see if I can get some tomorrow at a slightly bigger town than I tried today

Edit: This may be a stupid question, but how does one wet sand wood anyway? I thought that adding water to it would... well, to put it bluntly, bugger it up slightly.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Last edited by Nutter_101 at Oct 1, 2009,
Quote by Nutter_101
Hmmmm, 2000 grit is surprisingly difficult to get down here...

Not really, they sell them in most DIY stores. You usually have to get a pack of fine grade sandpapers though i think.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
^which wouldn't hurt for wetsanding anyway!

Oh, and for wetsanding, jump on youtube and look up some tutorials, it's really not too hard at all!
------

Shwiggity.
Last edited by deftonesordie at Oct 1, 2009,
Quote by deftonesordie
^which wouldn't hurt for wetsanding anyway!

Oh, and for wetsanding, jump on youtube and look up some tutorials, it's really not too hard at all!

All the videos I see tell me how to do it on finished or laquered parts of the guitar. I've wetsanded plastic and metal before, but never wood.

Do you use soapy water? Or would I use an oil in this case, to prevent the grain from coming up?
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
All the videos I see tell me how to do it on finished or laquered parts of the guitar. I've wetsanded plastic and metal before, but never wood.

Do you use soapy water? Or would I use an oil in this case, to prevent the grain from coming up?

i think it's just water with a little bit of soap in it.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Right, I've taken it down to 1500 grit, and the board is looking nice!

However, there are still some small pores visible all over the board. Will I be able to remove these by going back to a lower grit and working through it again, or are these a permanent part of the wood grain and impossible to get out?
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

The same pores that can be seen here?

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t209/Nutter_101/DSC_0170.jpg

They aint coming out I'm afraid.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Quote by Absent Mind
The same pores that can be seen here?

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t209/Nutter_101/DSC_0170.jpg

They aint coming out I'm afraid.

Ah, thanks for the reply, and confirmation of my thoughts.

This means I can stop worrying about it and get onto the horrific task of fretting .

Thanks very much!
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Looking good, fellow UK dweller.

I thought about making a Bass first, but I can hardly play guitar...let alone Bass...so guitar it is.

If you need any hardware etc (see my sig) let me know.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Thanks very much Skeet, I'll bear that in mind for some future builds.

Right, I've got the frets in, and now I've got to file them flush and bevel them - is it worth buying a fret beveling file from StewMac (bearing in mind I'm in the UK), or could I get something similar with more ease from this country for less?

Or does anyone know a good easy way of beveling? (I would use the Project Guitar method in the "Fretting Simplified" tutorial, but I haven't got a bandsaw right at the moment).
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
Thanks very much Skeet, I'll bear that in mind for some future builds.

Right, I've got the frets in, and now I've got to file them flush and bevel them - is it worth buying a fret beveling file from StewMac (bearing in mind I'm in the UK), or could I get something similar with more ease from this country for less?

Or does anyone know a good easy way of beveling? (I would use the Project Guitar method in the "Fretting Simplified" tutorial, but I haven't got a bandsaw right at the moment).

Get a flat file about 6 inches long etc.

Get a block of wood (2x4 etc).

Cut a slot at a 35 degree angle into the wood (from a corner) to hold the file.

Should be able to find that online.

Like this

Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
I made my own following this

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/fretting.htm

The details are about half way down starting with the paragraph

'Now grab a second piece of 2 x 4 and a double sided flat file'

I am going to make a new one though, using a router with a router bit the same width as the file, and a straight edge, to cut the slot for the file. I used a hand saw first time and it was a f**king nightmare.

I might see if I can find a 35 degree bevel router bit to make that part easier as well, if not I'll test a 45 degree bevel and see how that is (45 degrees could be too much because if there isnt much room between the outside strings and the edge of the fretboard, the 45 degree could take off too much fret material making it easy to slip the string off the side of the fretboard during playing).

Useing a router for the bevel and slot will knock that tool up in about 10 mins

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Last edited by Absent Mind at Oct 8, 2009,
It's at times like this I wish I had any of this stuff down in Cornwall.

Stupid workshop with power tools all being in Scotland
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by SG Commander
four strings.

Er... yes?

I've given in and ordered a double sided crowning file from Stew Mac and a fret beveling file from there too.

£80! Sometimes I hate living in the UK.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!