Augmented sixth chords with compositions other than those shown above are sometimes seen, and they too are sometimes given whimsical geographical names. For example, a chord comprising 4, ♭6, 7, and ♯2 is called by one source an Australian sixth.[7] Like some of the chords examined earlier, such innovations as these usually have alternative interpretations.

Another example of whimsically named harmonies are those that act as secondary augmented sixth chords. primarily resolving to the second scale step. Each chord features the interval of the Augmented 6th (Eb to C#), which resolves outwardly to an octave on the second scale step:

In the key of C, they are spelt thus:

Canadian sixth: Eb G C# (a three note chord having a Dom 7 sound)

Norwegian sixth: Eb G Bb C# (a four note chord having a Dom 7 sound)

Hollywood sixth: Eb G A C# (a four note chord sharing the French sound)

Surely in the key of C, the root of any augmented 6th chord should be G# and not Eb? And if not, why not? Have misunderstood something? Please help me out guys!
Quote by michal23
Surely in the key of C, the root of any augmented 6th chord should be G# and not Eb? And if not, why not? Have misunderstood something? Please help me out guys!

For normal augmented sixth chords, ie ones resolving to the V, the root would be Ab, not G#.

For these augmented sixths listed, their function is resolving to the 2nd, not the fifth. So, the notes in the augmented sixth interval, Eb and C#, resolve to the D note, which is the 2nd in C.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by psychodelia
For normal augmented sixth chords, ie ones resolving to the V, the root would be Ab, not G#.

For these augmented sixths listed, their function is resolving to the 2nd, not the fifth. So, the notes in the augmented sixth interval, Eb and C#, resolve to the D note, which is the 2nd in C.

Ahh I see, that's cleared things up - thanks dude!

One more question however - would I be able to take, say the canadian sixth, and transpose it to have the Ab as the result and thus have it resolve to the V and still be able to call it a canadian sixth? Or does it then have a different name?
No, if you transpose it to Ab, and have it resolve to V, it is now the Italian augmented 6

Edit: And the Norwegian would become the German, and the Hollywood would become the French
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by psychodelia
No, if you transpose it to Ab, and have it resolve to V, it is now the Italian augmented 6

Edit: And the Norwegian would become the German, and the Hollywood would become the French

OH! I see it!

Thanks dude