Hi, i have just replaced an ibanez inf4 humbucker pickup with a duncan sh12 screamin demon in an ibanez rg with a 5 way selector switch and 1 vol and 1 tone control.

after replaciing the pickup it doesn't sound quite right. have i wired it wrong?

i have enclosed a diagram of before and after. The inf4 had 3 wires but the duncan had 5!! why do they make pickups with different colour codes etc etc

the light grey line is actually the white wire, thanks
Attachments:
pickup wiring.JPG
Your diagram has shocked me!!!:P:P Cheers!
My pedals:
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah GCB-95
Ibanez Tube Screamer (TS-9)
Digitech Hot Head
MXR Phase 90
Digitech DigiDelay
MSPaint - used by professional techies and electricians, y'know.

OP, I think Duncan provide circuit diagrams and instructions on installation on their site, for each pickup. Or is that DiMarzio? Anyway, worth a check.
yeah on duncans, usually the red and white wire together, and to nothing.
(unless push pull, or other fancy wiring)
the green and bare, goes to ground and the black is hot to switch.

lemme look it up hang on.

here click this enter ur specifics, it'll say.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/

i'd fill it in for you, but i dont know how many pups total, or if you had standard pots and switch.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Apr 10, 2008,
Quote by jj1565
yeah on duncans, usually the red and white wire together, and to nothing.
(unless push pull, or other fancy wiring)
the green and bare, goes to ground and the black is hot to switch.

lemme look it up hang on.

here click this enter ur specifics, it'll say.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/

i'd fill it in for you, but i dont know how many pups total, or if you had standard pots and switch.

cheers, the actual diagram it gave me is quite confusing and somewhat different to how i have done it.

the pickup congurations is hsh with 1 vol and 1 tone and a 5 way selector switch.

the 5 way switch in seymours diagram is different to the switch i have. my switch has 8 terminals or whatever they are called as in my diagrams
ok hang on let me look.

if you have 8 lugs then, is it a standard switch?

does it just click the 5 ways? or give you an option for extra tones?

if you dont have extra tones, then you would ignore the extra lugs unless you wanted to opt for extra tones.

anyway try to answer that and ill look for something for you

ok did you see this one? and notice how the red and white just solder together?
the only difference would be if you had one Humbucker with the 4 wires and one with 2 wires.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=HSH_1v_1t_5w

lastly, this is my strat with 5 way swich, and a SD in the bridge, just to show you a live shot of how a duncan wires to a 5 way.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Apr 10, 2008,
yeah looking at the duncan diagram it seems as though it may work better if i just unsolder the red and white wires and leave them unsoldered to anything. however the ibanez pickup which i replaced had 2 wires going to the 5 way switch. the hot and then a single white wire going to where i have soldered the red and white.

i am not 100 percent sure wha tthe 5 way switch does with the guitar either. it either splits the humbucker coils in the 2nd and 4th positions or it uses the single coil in the middle with the humbuckers in some way.

jeez its confusing
Being that you have an Ibanez, you probably have the VLX91 5 way switch

Here's a standard wiring diagram for an HSH configuration with the VLX91 switch

The Duncan had 5 wires because it allows you to separate the coils. You can set the selector switch to however you want it. For reference, I believe the stock HSH Ibanez configuration is:

1 (closest to neck) - Neck Humbucker
2 - 1 coil from neck humbucker + middle single coil
3 - middle single coil
4 - 1 coil from bridge humbucker + middle single coil
5 - bridge humbucker
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Last edited by Bazilisck311 at Apr 10, 2008,
that's great,^ the only thing to realize TS is that the white wire on the old pup is not going to match up to the white wire on this pup.

the colors are all different, like said before. so dont get hung up on which color wire used to the switch and so on.

on duncans, first try, black hot. red and white in series togther, green ground.

^arent those dimarzio colors? those are different wire colors i think in that case the green still ground but the red it hot.

maybe im looking at it wrong, but if so that'll make it worse.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

What RG model is your guitar?
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer