I just started recording (nothing big, it's just for fun) and I'm getting this terrible, high pitched hissing noise in the background. Now what's odd is when I was recording with the on board sound card there was no hiss and it sounded pretty good considering it was just for fun but when I put in a new sound card , it hisses like crazy. I'm going from my amp, through my Line6 Pocket POD into my sound card. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the sound card in different PCI slots(I've heard the Slot 3 is good for recording so thats what I'm using) and I have the latest drivers.The program I'm using to record into is Audacity but I don't think thats got anything to do with it because I've tried other programs as well with the same hiss noise.Also If I use my mic to record there is no hiss at all but it is a really cheap mic thats too far away from my amp to record with.I figured I would post here because I've tried a number of things and I don't know what to try next.
WOOAAAAHHHH
pocket pods and amps normally dont mix...

PODs were made for the studio, the pocket unit is made for fun.
run the guitar - pod - line in on card...try not to use the amp as its not needed since the pod is your virtual amp.
K, I went from my guitar, to the pod, into my soundcard ,hissing is still there though.
WOOAAAAHHHH
its not the soundcard, if anything the soundcard is better becasue it is reproducing the frequency of the hiss. i cant tell you what your problem is from a discription, but a low pass filter may help cut the hiss. granted it is only a temporary, not ideal solution, but it may help in a pinch.
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Worse comes to worse, try this?

And are there any -10dbV/+4dbu settings on the Pod or the soundcard? They may be what's causing the hiss (+4dbu may be too much for a consumer card, which wants -10dbv).
Quote by Fast_Fingers
Worse comes to worse, try this?

And are there any -10dbV/+4dbu settings on the Pod or the soundcard? They may be what's causing the hiss (+4dbu may be too much for a consumer card, which wants -10dbv).

Honestly, I have no idea what '-10dbV/+4dbu ' means or how to find out if the settings are on my pod or soundcard
WOOAAAAHHHH
Without getting technical, +4dbu is professional and is a hotter signal, -10dbv is consumer. If somehow they were mismatched, this could happen. What's the card?
I'm having a kind of similar problem....

When I was recording with my PC back home, I would record by connecting my amp to the microphone socket in the back of the PC, using one of those little convertor things that allows you to attach a jack lead into a headphone-sized socket. And I got a nice clear sound by doing that, so everything was very much peachy.

But when I moved out and bought a laptop and tried to use the same method, I couldn't record anything but a loud hissing sound. So I have to record using my laptop's built-in mic, which really doesn't sound good at all.

Any idea why my laptop is doing this, when it worked fine on my PC? And more importantly, how can I fix it?!
California sunlight, sweet Calcutta rain, Honolulu star-bright, the song remains the same.

Casting quarters into wells that hold our dreams.

Believe in the freedom of music.

With our love, we could save the world.
Try disabling the microphone boost Ross and the Shadow. Or, for Ross, plug the pod into the Line-in port, which should be blue.
Aaaactually, I've been looking around the net a bit more, and I think I may know how to solve this using some sort of USB interface.

Would a Griffin iMic work? Seems pretty good, and it's very affordable too....that should solve my problem, as I'm pretty sure the hissing is caused by the poor quality of my laptop's mic input slot. Whereas if I was using one of these USB interfaces, the mic input slot on my laptop wouldn't be used at all, it would be the USB ports, which seem to work fine!

I guess I'm just thinking aloud now....I'm just quite new to this sort of thing. I'll hush up now.
California sunlight, sweet Calcutta rain, Honolulu star-bright, the song remains the same.

Casting quarters into wells that hold our dreams.

Believe in the freedom of music.

With our love, we could save the world.
That would work...as long as you don't mind carrying the extra bulk.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101