So, I'm looking to get a new practice amp to start myself off on some new equipment. I'm quite sure that a small tube amp is the way to go, but when looking at the <$200 tube amps on Musician's Friend, I have trouble deciding. I see the Peavey Valveking Royal 8, which appears to be an excellent amp, but I just noticed the Crate VTX30B, a 30-watt tube amp with a 10-inch speaker, for the same price. The VTX also has digital effects, which could be nice, but the question is, does the Crate supply the same sound that I've heard the Royal 8 is notable for? Or better yet, which tube amp for under $200 would be reccomended? I play mostly classic rock, along with The White Stripes, and a small bit of country. Lately I've also edged into more funky music, like Rage Against the Machine, also.
I would spend 90.00 more and get the fender super champ xd. Really is a nice practice with effects and several amp voicings.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
The VTX is not a tube amp. The new V5, V18, V33 are. There are a few $200 tube amps, Blackheart, Palomino V8, Peavey Royal 8, Epi Jr. (Epi is $150ish).
ok, does anyone else agree on the Super Camp XD? I really can't spend any more than 200 dollars though.
ok, I was under the impression that the VTX was a tube amp. I clicked on the tube amp category on MF, and it was listed there. I guess MF made another mistake in their categorizing -.-
Ok, well I'll see if I can squeeze out the extra 50 bucks for the Vibro Champ, then. Later on, what do you think would make a good guitar? I'd probably only have $300 or less to pay for it =\
Hmm... what about an Ibanez JTK2? I've wanted one of those for a while, and the coil taps could work very well with the Fender amp if I wanted a clean sound...
The Vibro Champ XD isn't really a tube amp either. It's clean channel is tube, and its dirty voicing settings are SS. If you want a small tube amp get a valve junior or blackheart little giant.
Epi SG G400 Lefty
Modded Valve Junior
Noisy Cricket 1/2 Watt

Toneport GX
Quote by groovis
The Vibro Champ XD isn't really a tube amp either. It's clean channel is tube, and its dirty voicing settings are SS. If you want a small tube amp get a valve junior or blackheart little giant.

can anyone back groovis up on this? is he right?
Quote by Xoth
can anyone back groovis up on this? is he right?

The Vibro champ is a tube amp because the clean channel is all tube. The distortions preamp is SS and the poweramp is still tube. It doesn't really matter if it is tube, as long as it sounds good.
so, does it sound as good as a tube amp when it's using the SS preamp? You know, since my genres of music commonly use distortion of some sort.
I don't know if I'm right but maybe you could use an OD pedal on the clean channel to push the tubes and you might get some good distortion on it. I'm just throwin it out there.
hmm... but that would up my budget even more. I'm already pushing it with the $250 amp... =\
The vibro champ sounded thin to me with the 8 inch. The super champ is nice and warm sounds really nice has a line out if you needed to run it to the pa or recording purposes. I have owned way too many little amps and this one does what its suppose to do sound nice at practice levels.
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Go to youtube there are several demos of it.
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
I really like the sound of the Super Champ. All the voicings sounded great... I may just have to save up even more and go for the 300 dollar amp. Those extra 10 watts could make a difference if I decide to drop by someone's house and play with them for a bit...