After reading the never ending comments of hatred to the marshall mg series on the UG forums, i was just curious to see what the reviews on UG said about it...

for some reason, despite its infamous tone and quality, (according to UG users) the reviews are generally very good, there are a large number of 10/10's ?!?.

Do people make out gear is better when writing a review? Because now im not sure if i can trust user reviews, or is it just in this case.......
its usually noobs that are still enamored by their 'new hotness' that they havent had long enough to get to know its quirks and shortcomings.
Most online reviews are crap. The one's a at Harmony Central are a bit better than the ones here (which are the worst I've seen)

But the best reviews are by professionals, and people who've been playing for at least 5+ years and are willing to admit that they gear has shortcomings.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
The reviews on here are absolute ****, maybe worse than musiciansfriend. Trust the forum only.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
its probably the only amp theyve ever played on so they think its good. thats what happend to me and my old spider 3. until i played on a better amp i thought it was nice and now i think it just blows.
GEAR
Jackson JS30WR with EMG 81/85
Dean Vendetta
Peavey Valveking 212 (tung sol 12ax7 - JJ6l6gc)
Ibanez TS9
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2

Quote by insanitytheband
Hey Im Looking For Some Tech Death Metal In D

Quote by alexyeung
try anything form avenged sevenfold

wtf?
Quote by boardsofcanada
its usually noobs that are still enamored by their 'new hotness' that they havent had long enough to get to know its quirks and shortcomings.

+65419515189

i used to be that noob... now i hate MGs cause of its bad tone and the fact that it sucks with effects
It seems half the reviews anymore are just made up. The guitar mags are the worst. On one page is a full page ad for a product and the next page is the review. How much advertising will the mag get if they rape a product. What was the one recently about the black crowes review and the guy hadnt even listened to the album when he reviewed it. Places like MF arent going to post to many bad reviews. Cuts down on sales so everything is super spectacular, best ever, etc. You just gotta do alot of research.
+1 ... Bottom line is sound quality is subjective and guitar "superstars" and mags are pretty much bought off - sorry, it's the way it is!

Even the Marshall Forum will give more accurate reviews of Marshall Equipment - for instance, they (actual Marshall Forum) pretty much all say MG's suck.

The best bet (as difficult as it is, but worth it) is to play a variety of amps until you are satisfied that it provides the sound YOU desire. UG forum is a great starting place, meaning to get an idea of what are good amps to check out. From there; my friend, it is up to you!

Quote by Tackleberry
It seems half the reviews anymore are just made up. The guitar mags are the worst. On one page is a full page ad for a product and the next page is the review. How much advertising will the mag get if they rape a product. What was the one recently about the black crowes review and the guy hadnt even listened to the album when he reviewed it. Places like MF arent going to post to many bad reviews. Cuts down on sales so everything is super spectacular, best ever, etc. You just gotta do alot of research.
it's just human nature.

players shouldnt be permitted to write a review until a certain amount of time has passed.

most MG buyers are young. it's their first attempt at an amp above a 10W starter pack, and the MG just kills what they were playing through before.

they think, ok it looks great, and has the Marshall name, so of course they are going to jump on line and give an excellent honeymoon review.

what they should do is visit these kids 3 months later...

after they play out a while with other mates they notice that the MG has problems at higher volumes. it starts to cut out and buzz, and it has problems keeping any kind of tone when trying to keep up with a drummer.

then they start to grow a little more as a player, want to expand on the types of music they play and noitce that the MG is a one trick pony.

they realize there's no versatility to it. the cleans are passable, but they start to think, the gain is terrible. their ears are developing and they realize, they probably need a pedal in front of this amp to get any kind of natural tone.

so now, here they are months later, they cant play it loud, they cant get the tones they want and they cant keep up with features of other amps in the same price range.

but at least it looks good.....

they turn it on and it no longer works. The End.

at least they can go back and read their old review.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011