Well I have Kubuntu up and running (...mostly). I downloaded firefox, but have no idea how to install it.

The file I downloaded is .tar.gz. I can go into it but I can't find a .exe, so I'm guessing they aren't what I'm supposed to be looking for.

Thanks.

PS If someone has time, could you please help me here.
If you're running the newest Kubuntu (7.10) you don't have to download and install firefox manually. You can just use the apt-get command or the adept package manager.

Open a terminal and type the following...

sudo apt-get install firefox

when it prompts you for a password, enter the one you made for your user.

Kubuntu should then install Firefox from a repository.

You can find this and a lot of other stuff on www.kubuntuguide.org.
Equipment:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Fender Standard Telecaster
Fender 50th Anniversary Stratocaster
Guild D-40 Richie Havens Signature Model
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
^ What he said. Ubuntu (and Kubuntu) have a package management system called apt-get. It needs to be run as administrator (root), so you use the command sudo, which will run as root if you enter the proper password.

For your question on the Ubuntu forums... I have no clue. I've never seen the KMenu behave that way. You could use kmenuedit to manually change everything, but there must be an easier way. Ubuntu forums are great though, you'll get some help.

Oh, and Linux doesn't use .exe files. Binary (executable) files have no extension. To run them, just type the name of the file and press enter.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Last edited by Muphin at Apr 9, 2008,
Remember, I'm a total Linux newb. Where am I supposed to type the file and press enter? I tried doing what LordArbiter suggested and it didn't work.

brian@brian-linux:~$ sudo apt-get install firefox
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package firefox is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package firefox has no installation candidate
brian@brian-linux:~$

I would've taken a screenshot but I have no idea how to crop it, and photobucket and tinypic both gave me errors. (Too bit too attach in my post)
You did it right, but the package isn't called firefox. Try sudo apt-get install mozilla-firefox.

That may not work, I'm just guessing. I use Gentoo, see, which has a thing called 'Portage' which is an online database containing instructions on how to install thousands of packages. The computer reads these instructions and builds the program for me. Ubuntu's package management should do essentially the same thing: Download the package and install it. I have never used Ubuntu, but this seems like their package repository. Search through there if you don't know what the package is called.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Last edited by Muphin at Apr 9, 2008,
brian@brian-linux:~$ sudo apt-get install mozilla-firefox
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package mozilla-firefox
brian@brian-linux:~$

I reallllllly frustrated right now... nothing works properly.

I'm off to take a shower.

Edit:

Quote by Murphin
That may not work, I'm just guessing. I use Gentoo, see, which has a thing called 'Portage' which is an online database containing instructions on how to install thousands of packages. The computer reads these instructions and builds the program for me. Ubuntu's package management should do essentially the same thing: Download the package and install it. I have never used Ubuntu, but this seems like their package repository. Search through there if you don't know what the package is called.

I checked for a firefox package and found one, but have no idea what to do with it. But, don't I already have the package? I downloaded it off of the Mozilla site.
Last edited by Thornography at Apr 9, 2008,