Would one of these things be worth the cost? I plan on buying recording equipment in the next 6 months or so,For a hobby and whatnot...I plan on spending about $1000 bucks.I want the toneport for doing drums,It seems like it would be perfect for drums with 8 inputs.So would it be worth it or not?

Thanks
---wes
Line 6 recording gear has always seemed like a joke to me. Don't get me wrong, the stuff is great for guitarists who want to recording some of their stuff, but in a studio setting? No, Line 6 has no chance.

If you want an 8 input computer interface, go for a MOTU, M-Audio or PreSonus model.

You really don't need 8 inputs for drums though. 4 will suffice. Two overheads, kick, and snare. Micing every single drum and cymbal is just not necessary.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
I agree with basically everything Muphin said. If I had that money to spend, I wouldn't be going for Line 6 gear. But then you don't want to go overboard on the price for an interface, because you'll need mics and stuff obviously.

You could get the PreSonus Firestudio for around $500, for an example.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by Muphin

You really don't need 8 inputs for drums though. 4 will suffice. Two overheads, kick, and snare. Micing every single drum and cymbal is just not necessary.

Its not necessary...but its still what I would like to do,allows for future proofing of the recording.It you ever need to go back and edit something you can.

But thanks for the reply's so far,Looks like i'll be getting a firewire interface.
I've heard really good things about ART's Tubefire interface...the reviewer couldn't tell it apart from an RME Firewire 800, which is supposed to be better (at least with its AD/DA converters) than MOTU, and liked its connections. It's $530, giving you plenty of money for microphone stands and cable. As for the microphones themselves...good luck. Presonus is also a good one to try. If possible, listen to both in a store.
I cant see how it takes all 8 inputs and keeps them unmixed....its only a usb2.0 connection for that product.

stick with firewire for an 8 input interface and go with PreSonus, better for the $,,,
but theres other good brands out there too
Yeah I know thats what im currious about,I want to know if it can keep atleast 7 inputs seperated...Im having my doubts.

edit:How can you figure out what type of firewire ports you're pc has?.I know there's different speeds and whatnot My computer is probably 4 years old,It has two ports in the front.Is that all I need?
Last edited by wes_jett2008 at Apr 10, 2008,