I'm looking to play stoner metal/hard rock, garage, and hard punk, so it's gotta hit hard.

What are the main differencese, besides one running on a battery?

Thanks
battery = enhanced highs and lows.
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
oh. so that's pretty much exactly what i want.

EMG Select HZ HA-4N and HA-4B pickups - are these any good for a les paul setup?

http://www.rondomusic.com/product1672.html

any thoughts? i was thinking of getting a les paul gibson, but i cant get a studio for any cheaper than 750 used. and apparently these are pretty good.
DO NOT BUY PASSIVE EMGS, THANK YOU.

Active pickups are higher in output and are generally used for metal. Usually have a bad clean sound.

Passive pickups have better cleans and don't use batteries.
oh, these are passive not active?

then i want the active ones.

passive are just like regular pickups, right?
Quote by APimpNamedSlick
oh, these are passive not active?

then i want the active ones.

passive are just like regular pickups, right?

Yes.
EMG 81/60/85 etc. are active, EMG HZ are passive, and so are most other pickups.
for diversity go with a 81tw and a 89. you can switch them around and their both coil tap.
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
For your styles, I'd check out some high output passives. Actives don't really have a great variety in their tone. But if you're dead set on active, check Seymour Duncan Blackouts. They supposedly have a greater tonal variety.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
As a wise man once told me

Don't use active pickups from any brand unless you have sufficiently good gear to match. I'm not talking about 'bedroom hero' or even just small gig-worthy gear here. I'm talking a guitar that will set you back a couple of thousand, top-grade cables, and an amp wall that will make your ears bleed just set to 1. Active pickups are tonally vapid themselves, so they rely even more on the quality of the rest of your gear than passive pickups do. So if any element of your current gear is sub-par, actives sound horrible. it's that simple, no two ways about it. The general rule of thumb is, if you don't yet have your own personal guitar tech, then you shouldn't be using actives.