First off, I'm going to give some background about my playing style, because I need some justification and opinions from people who have the Vox.

I will be using the amp for both practicing alone, with my band, and also playing gigs. The places will hold anywhere from 100 to 1000 people (think a high school gym). Will the AC30 be loud enough when its cranked?

Some of my favorite artists include:
Oasis
Mark Knopfler (later years)
Eric Clapton (early years)
Led Zeppelin
Rory Gallagher (no surprise there)
Muse
Jimi Hendrix
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Spoon
SRV

I know that Brit Daniels, Rory Gallagher, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, and Noel Gallagher all have used AC30's in their carreers, so it only makes sense to get one. I am a little concerned about the sound.

The ones I have played have had heavenly OD for blues, but can it also do some rock like Oasis? I have a strat and I'm getting a Les Paul so I can cover both grounds, but will my TS-808 be enough to push it into harder rock territory? I don't play metal.

Another concern I have is if the 30 watts is loud enough? I currently keep my JCM900 on 50 watts, but have it turned to 8 when playing gigs unmiked, that's why I am concerned.

Thanks in advance!
High as tits
Hendrix, RHCP, and Zepp's live tone were/are pretty much always Marshalls. SRV was a Fender man, so getting good, similar tones to them will not be the easiest thing. A boost/overdrive should push it enuff for modern rock and hard rock. And IMO, if you gig, you should be able to mic it if you dont have enuff volume.
Rory used Marshalls live too.

If you want an awesome rock tone out of the AC30, you've gotta crank that bad boy.

Get a Range Master too.

That'll be fairly close to Rory's tone.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Just pull a Brian May and hook up 4 AC-30's together!

But seriously, 50 watts is only marginally louder than 30 watts. You should be more than fine.
Fender MIA Telecaster with DiMarzio noiseless single coils
-Fulltone OCD
-Ibanez Analog Delay
-Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Fender Blues Junior
Fender MIM Jazz Bass with Noiseless pickups
Mesa Walkabout
Epiphone AC200SCE Acoustic
I really like the dynamic sound that the AC30 produces, and the cleans are pretty nice too.

I am just wondering if the OD will cut it.
High as tits
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
I really like the dynamic sound that the AC30 produces, and the cleans are pretty nice too.

I am just wondering if the OD will cut it.

Yes. The AC30 can do hard rock tones.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
The AC30, especially if you get the Blue speakers, is a hugely loud amp. It might actually be louder than the JCM900 if you had the stock speakers in it.
I'd definitely get it over the 900.
I can get very convincing hard rock out of my AC30 with a TS-808 and a fat Strat. Make no mistake about it, it's a rock amp. It's also notoriously loud. Playing clubs, I never get above a quarter of the way up on the master. And as mentioned above, if you're playing in front of 1000 people, there should be a PA for you to mic it up to.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
any way to save up for AC30 and keep the JCM900
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
I not positive, but I am pretty sure that Oasis uses AC-30's, I could be wrong, but regardless their tone is pretty much right up that amps ally.
Because you don't have both, obviously. I sure as hell wish I still had all my old gear...
I can always buy another JCM900 if I change my mind I suppose.

Any more stories of people who own the AC30?
High as tits